Thread: Best 4-16X Scope for $400-$600?

Basic Member

Best 4-16X Scope for $400-$600?

Trying to narrow it down. I'm stuck on Vortex. Seen good reviews on Sightron. So much on the market, Burris, Nikon, Bushnell, SWFA, Primary Arms, Redfield, Weaver. What experiences have you had, good or bad? Recommendations?

Basic Member
    Of those you mention, I personally favor Sightron the most, but would not be afraid of a Burris, Bushnell, Vortex, SS or Nikon (in that order) either. I've owed at least one from each of these makers, and had good luck with them all. STAY AWAY from anything made in China. Go with Japanese if you can, but in that price range, you'll most likely get something made in the Philippines, which is somewhere in between. The Filipino stuff is ok.... as long as you get something from a company with a no BS warranty, should you need to use it. I have no experience with Primary Arms, but have heard good things. Weaver and Redfield have been making decent stuff for decades, but have (in my opinion) been surpassed by the other makers in regards to quality and warranty. Depending on what your needs are, in that range you probably won't go wrong with any of then that you listed. But again, Sightron would be at the top of my list, for whatever that's worth to you. Best of luck!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

For that amount of money buy a Weaver Tactical #800363. It's a mil/mil FFP with locking turrets, and easily better glass than what you mentioned; and I really like my PA scopes, but it just isn't close.

While a nice generality for cheaply priced things, remember the China warning is just a slogan. If a company spec's something poorly, then they will make it so. Not a comment on the mfgr, but the spec's called for. There is a thread here on this board somewhere from a retired, IIRC Zeiss man, they have been having testing equipt and such made in China for a long time.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    What are you using the scope for? Target/hunting/prs etc?

Of the choices- based on what I've used

Sightron
    Burris/SWFA
    Bushnell/Nikon

The Sightron being in top in my experience but have had good luck with the others as well. I've owned 3 vortex as well. HS and PST models. The HS elevation crapped out less than 50 rounds of 308. The PST came broke from the factory. So I wouldn't buy one of those again.

The others I haven't used

Team Savage
    I found the Sightron S-TAC 3-16x42mm to be a very good scope for the money. Great glass, flawless tracking and side focus for around $400.

In that price range, Vortex Viper HS-T. I have an HS-T in 6-24x50 it is a great scope and has the features that I want.

Of those mentioned I've had Sightron, Burris, Bushnell, Nikon and Redfield. Still have a Bushnell, a Sightron and several Nikon Monarchs.

They all make decent scopes, if Vortex is calling to you, go for it. I have had, or know some one who has had all of them crap out on them. I had a Sightron SIII crap out on an elk hunt in Montana, but I still own a Sightron. They are man made mechanical devices and any one of them has the potential of crapping out. Vortex may have a better warranty, but they are all pretty good in that regard as well.

Go with the one that has the features you want.

Basic Member
    Got it down to two scopes:
    https://sightronusa.com/index.php/pr...tac4-20x50moa/
    http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...eticle/reticle
    I've had a couple Vortex scopes and liked them, never a problem. The Sightron has some nice options that might be nice but I've never had a Sightron. Price is the same. All things being relatively equal, Vortex or Sightron?

Sightron!! I had the same dilemma awhile back. I went to Cabelas and actually looked thru a Vortex PST 6-24x50 in FFP. I had never looked thru either scope before, but I was not impressed with the Vortex and the Magnification was turned up (20x) I couldn't see all of my hashmarks on the bottom post any longer. I watched a youtube video (I think it was Youtube) which compared the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and the Vortex PST 6-24x50... The reviewer was adamant that the Sightron's glass was on Par with Nightforce!!

For the first time in my life I dropped a chunk of change on a Scope that I didn't even look thru first.... I AM HAPPY I DID!!!!

I wouldlook at the Vortex Viper HS-T over the one you had referenced above. It's a little closer in comparison to the Sightron STAC you're looking at. Just my .02 though....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Sightron!! I had the same dilemma awhile back. I went to Cabelas and actually looked thru a Vortex PST 6-24x50 in FFP. I had never looked thru either scope before, but I was not impressed with the Vortex and the Magnification was turned up (20x) I couldn't see all of my hashmarks on the bottom post any longer. I watched a youtube video (I think it was Youtube) which compared the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 and the Vortex PST 6-24x50... The reviewer was adamant that the Sightron's glass was on Par with Nightforce!!

For the first time in my life I dropped a chunk of change on a Scope that I didn't even look thru first.... I AM HAPPY I DID!!!!

I wouldlook at the Vortex Viper HS-T over the one you had referenced above. It's a little closer in comparison to the Sightron STAC you're looking at. Just my .02 though....
    Count this as another vote for the Sightron. As you said.... if all else is the same, Sightron wins hands down in my opinion. Comparing apples to apples on these 2 brands, Vortex gives you more "bells and whistles" and Sightron gives you better glass. Warranty is about the same, but Sightron seems to have better QC and less returns and warranty work being done. The bells and whistles that may attract you towards the Vortex are neat, but a majority of folks eventually just "set it and forget it", never truly utilizing all of the scopes capability. The better glass and overall quality on the Sightron...... well that's the gift that just keeps on giving for years to come. Best of luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I vote Sightron as well. I owned 3 vortex and 4 Sightron. My Viper PST was the most expensive. I now own the 4 Sightron and 0 Vortex. "But vortex have a great warranty". I've never needed to use the Sightron warranty

Basic Member
    Just FYI when your looking at them. If you get a first focal plane- get a lighted reticle. That goes for either scope. You cannot see the crosshairs in low light. I have 2 Sightron with lit reticle and 2 without. All 2nd focal plane. I don't use the lighted reticle to much as it's usually to dark to ID the deer etc by the time I can't see my reticle. Nice to have but not a necessity on 2nd focal plane

Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30 View Post
    Just FYI when your looking at them. If you get a first focal plane- get a lighted reticle. That goes for either scope. You cannot see the crosshairs in low light. I have 2 Sightron with lit reticle and 2 without. All 2nd focal plane. I don't use the lighted reticle to much as it's usually to dark to ID the deer etc by the time I can't see my reticle. Nice to have but not a necessity on 2nd focal plane
    Hmmm interesting, I haven't had that issue... yet. although I haven't been out too early in the morning or late evening with mine.... Will have to check that out and find out just where that "too dark" to see is for me.... I did not get a lit reticle in my FFP...

Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30 View Post
    I vote Sightron as well. I owned 3 vortex and 4 Sightron. My Viper PST was the most expensive. I now own the 4 Sightron and 0 Vortex. "But vortex have a great warranty". I've never needed to use the Sightron warranty
    I have a Sightron SIII and a Vortex Viper HST. I've used Sightrons warranty, have not used Vortex warranty.

And I would agree, the HST would be a better comparison to the stac. I don't see anything that says the Sightron has ED glass, the vortex HST does, it also has a zero stop. If the HST would also be a consideration I would chose it over the Sightron.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by huntin1 View Post
    I have a Sightron SIII and a Vortex Viper HST. I've used Sightrons warranty, have not used Vortex warranty.

And I would agree, the HST would be a better comparison to the stac. I don't see anything that says the Sightron has ED glass, the vortex HST does, it also has a zero stop. If the HST would also be a consideration I would chose it over the Sightron.

I really wish I would have had the same luck as you. The vortex do have a lot of features. I thought the glass on mine was great for the money however never had one mounted long enough to compare as they spent most of there life in a mailbox. I owned all 3 for a few months and switched back to Sightron. At that time I owned only one Sightron. But that Sightron now sits on a 338 LM and still runs strong.

Like I said I really tried to like the vortex due to the cost vs featured but just wasn't reliable enough to stick with

I will say that with my 24X Sightron on my 300 WM I can see the bullet holes at 475. Was pretty suprised by that. This is of course in the right lighting. I know at 300 I can see .260 holes in any decent light with it as well

I've got the Primary Arms 4-16 with the illuminated reticle. Good glass, easy to see targets up to 400 yards... probably further but that's the farthest open area I've personally been in with it. It's on my Savage 6.5C and holds zero and reliably clicks up and down. Good scope overall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

65whelen,ck your PM.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    65whelen,ck your PM.
    Got it and responded, thanks.