Thread: Changing barrels.

Basic Member

Changing barrels.

Do you have remove the scope base/rail when you change barrels every time ? I realize you would have to when the base goes over the nut.

Basic Member
    Just the front base.

If you are using a barrel vise, no, as long as you can get to the nut the scope base can stay on. If you are using an NSS type action wrench then it has to come off every time.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    Do you have remove the scope base/rail when you change barrels every time ? I realize you would have to when the base goes over the nut.
    I don't. For swaps post factory installed barrels I use a rear entry action wrench and a open ended spanner ( nut wrench)

I put'm back on with the same tools, the last two on the carpeted floor in my man cave.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    I don't. For swaps post factory installed barrels I use a rear entry action wrench and a open ended spanner ( nut wrench)

I put'm back on with the same tools, the last two on the carpeted floor in my man cave.

Bill
    +1 works for me

Have seen these tools listed being used BUT have not been able too rent or buy them, who sells them as am almost ready to change barrel on my 10 BA

Basic Member
    I'm I wrong in thinking that tightening the barrel nut will try to pull the barrel away from the bolt face ?

Basic Member
    ^^^^If I understand your question....

Yes, it will try. Fortunately, though, trying ain't the same as doin'.

Can be done with front base on,BUT the front base screw needs to be short enough to clear barrel threads. If not short enough it will bugger up 3 or 4 threads.

Short, if scope base screw bottoms out on barrel the scope base was loose to begin with.

Team Savage
    Where did you get the "rear entry" action wrench?

Yes, when you tighten the barrel nut you will pull the barrel forward and change the headspace. Use the go/nogo gage after you are all done. I use witness marks on the barrel and nut, that way I have a base line when I adjust.

Bill

Basic Member
    ^^^I don't get it. How is it possible that the barrel will actually move forward when tightening the barrel nut? The only way I see that happening is if the barrel spins with the nut. If the nut turns without the barrel, nothing changes accept there is pressure on the barrel threads driving it back as the nut is driving forward against the recoil lug and action.

Also, if the barrel spins with the nut, the nuts isn't tightening against the action. It's a JAM nut.

Sometimes the barrel spins a bit with the nut while initially tightening it. Maybe that's the concern. To confirm that hasn't happened, double check headspace with the go and no-go, as stated. (Maybe that's all you guys meant in the first place, Just trying to understand and make sure others, with less experience, do as well)

Basic Member
    The nut pushes toward to the recoil lug as it get tighter. The opposing force is pulling the barrel away. That's my understanding. If the barrel and nut were one piece they would both be pushing in the same direction.

Basic Member
    Okay. Gotcha. But it's not moving away to such a degree it can be measured. Still, when all is tight and secure, double check head space with your gauges so you know it locked-in where you wanted it. :)

Basic Member
    Bill, Did you purchase an open end nut wrench or did you cut the end out of a regular wrench? Can you get good torque with the open end or do you get flex? Thanks

Random stuff. Threads act like a conveyor. It is the principle of most of your metal cutting machinery in the form of feed screws. A vise is another example. The amount of movement between the barrel and the nut is determined by the fit between the internal and external thread. For every action there is an equal and opposite action.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Bill, Did you purchase an open end nut wrench or did you cut the end out of a regular wrench?
    An angle grinder w/ cutoff disc made short work on the spanner then it was only the matter of cleaning it up. If you go that route don't try to use either or both of those tools to remove factory installed barrels, you'll most likely spring the ends of the open end wrench.
    Can you get good torque with the open end or do you get flex? Thanks
    I don't torque my barrels. I'll clean the action, barrel and nut threads, give the barrel threads a light shot of Break-Free and have at it. How tight? To a grunt or a grunt and a half. I haven't a clue if its enough or not, I haven't had any come loose to find out.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.