Thread: Seccond hand 110 .270 Rifle! NEED HELP

Cale

Seccond hand 110 .270 Rifle! NEED HELP

Newbie here on this forum. A friend of mine gave me his Savage 110 chambered in .270. He had stupidly shot a .308 round out of it, and the rifle has been in his safe ever since.
    When I got this rifle I noticed the ball barring that sits under the extractor was missing. I ordered a bolt rebuild kit and replaced the spring and the ball. Extractor now works.

Now is where I am stuck. The rifle bolt will operate perfectly without a round. If you put a round in the mag or in the barrel and try to close the bolt it will not close. The bolt clearly is not recessing entirely into the chamber, and is sticking out by about a 1/4 inch.
    Also, i'm using regular factory Remington ammo. I have also backed out and removed the front stock screw, the rail scope mount screws. I have also examined the bore extensively and have cleaned it. Nothing...Bolt still wont close on a round. Im thinking this could be a headspace issue, however my friend said he never messed with the barrel or headspace and it shot and cycled just fine before that mishap. He did have to use a torch to heat the chamber to get the shell casing out of the rifle. Could that have cause the headspace to warp? Is this rifle trashed? Let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!

I wouldn't try shooting that rifle! Seriously stop before you get hurt.

at the minimum I would assume it will need a new barrel, although who knows how much pressure was exerted when the 308 round was fired. Then to top it off the heat treat might be fubar. Take it to a reputable gunsmith and let him know just what happened to it. Might be salvageable yet...

and welcome to the forum! Hope you stick around.

Cale
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    I wouldn't try shooting that rifle! Seriously stop before you get hurt.

at the minimum I would assume it will need a new barrel, although who knows how much pressure was exerted when the 308 round was fired. Then to top it off the heat treat might be fubar. Take it to a reputable gunsmith and let him know just what happened to it. Might be salvageable yet...

and welcome to the forum! Hope you stick around.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice! Safety is my top priority and yes your right, it would be dangerous to me and anyone on the range if I were to take this lemon out and try something stupid! I need a good gunsmith and that's probably going to be the only solution. If it's something simple, I'd not hesitate to try my hand at fixing it. Also, I've got a way to test fire without anyone being on the battery line. It may not even be worth jacking with....who knows - A gunsmith

Hopefully I didn't come off the wrong way. Just by my line of thinking a new replacement for that rifle can be had under $400. How much is your eyesight, limbs, or life worth? Or other possible bystanders?

Is this by chance a 3 screw trigger model? Lol. You could always part it out for what isn't damaged or use that towards a custom build. Just exercise extreme caution if you decide you want to use that receiver. Again my advice would be to visit a gunsmith and let him investigate it.

Cheers

That rifle needs pulled apart and both the action and barrel need to be closely inspected by a knowledgeable gunsmith to determine if either are safe at this point.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Best thing to do is have gunsmith check it out. There may be part of the 308 brass stuck in the chamber, not allowing bolt to close.

Cale

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    Hopefully I didn't come off the wrong way. Just by my line of thinking a new replacement for that rifle can be had under $400. How much is your eyesight, limbs, or life worth? Or other possible bystanders?

Is this by chance a 3 screw trigger model? Lol. You could always part it out for what isn't damaged or use that towards a custom build. Just exercise extreme caution if you decide you want to use that receiver. Again my advice would be to visit a gunsmith and let him investigate it.

Cheers
    No! You didn't come off the wrong way, your absolutely right. I'm sorry if I sounded sarcastic but that was not my intention.

Basic Member
    At this point you have no(or very little) invested in this rifle. before investing much such as having a gunsmith check it out, it may be easier and cheaper to go out and purchase a new Axis or used 110 if you wish. Your choice but personally, i woyld write that one off.