Newbie here on this forum. A friend of mine gave me his Savage 110 chambered in .270. He had stupidly shot a .308 round out of it, and the rifle has been in his safe ever since.
When I got this rifle I noticed the ball barring that sits under the extractor was missing. I ordered a bolt rebuild kit and replaced the spring and the ball. Extractor now works.

Now is where I am stuck. The rifle bolt will operate perfectly without a round. If you put a round in the mag or in the barrel and try to close the bolt it will not close. The bolt clearly is not recessing entirely into the chamber, and is sticking out by about a 1/4 inch.
Also, i'm using regular factory Remington ammo. I have also backed out and removed the front stock screw, the rail scope mount screws. I have also examined the bore extensively and have cleaned it. Nothing...Bolt still wont close on a round. Im thinking this could be a headspace issue, however my friend said he never messed with the barrel or headspace and it shot and cycled just fine before that mishap. He did have to use a torch to heat the chamber to get the shell casing out of the rifle. Could that have cause the headspace to warp? Is this rifle trashed? Let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks!