Thread: Savage Axis at WalMart

shortrange

Savage Axis at WalMart

I am wanting to buy a 223 for coyote hunting and do not want to spend a bunch of money. WalMart has a wood stocked Axis with scope (Bushnell I think) for $344.00 Can anyone tell me anything about the rifle. It has a trigger lock on it so I do not know what it is or how it feels. I asked the young lady at the counter to see it, about all I could do was hold it. Also I did see a thread about the barrel on a Axis being the same as what is on the 10. So if it is does this mean it is a #2 contour and not a pencil barrel. Thanks.

Basic Member
    The Axis is a good rifle with a trio of weaknesses. First and foremost, the trigger will probably be gritty and heavy. Second, the stock is very flexy. This is not a problem for most hunting situations, but I would be afraid to put a bipod on the stock without some kind of reinforcement. Third, the package scope is bottom of the line. Overall, I think the Axis is a good rifle. Accuracy is usually stellar. Instead of buying the package gu, I would recommend buying the $278 Axis and installing a better scope. The trigger can be tuned by watching Youtube videos and checking the articles on modifications on here. You might want to check out the Ruger American Rifle. It has a price slightly higher than the Axis, but has a better stock and trigger.

Basic Member
    I bought an Axis in 243 a few months ago on sale at Cabelas for $259 but the trigger wasabout 7 pounds. I spent $84 and bought a Rifle Basix trigger and it is now under 2 pounds. Albeit too light but I didn't have a trigger gauge at the time.
    There are a few fixes that can be done to lighten it up and there are youtube videos and some discussion about it on here. Just do a search or a google search. $344 seems high, even by Walmart standards. There have been a few posts on the 223 Axis having light primer strikes which may be of interest. BTW, my Axis shoots well under an inch with factory ammo but I have never been a fan of 223 for yotes and prefer 22-250 having shot a few hundred of them over the last four decades.

shortrange
    Thanks for the comments. The rifle has the Birch stock so there is no flex and I can see the scope not being top of the line. I have thought about 22-250 and even 243 but my son uses 223 and I don't need looong range power. I keep my shots about 150 yards or less. WalMart has a 223 with plastic stock and no scope for $279.00, but the Birch stock feels like a much better rifle.

Basic Member
    I have the Axis II XP hardwood in .223 and it's actually one of my most favorite guns for plinking. Will easily shoot sub MOA on 50 grain VMax ammo for 3-4 shots until the barrel starts to heat up. I would spend the extra $20-30 for the Accutrigger. Being a wood stock you can easily bed the action in and drill out the butt to remove 1/2 lb+ of weight.

Team Savage
    I would go with a wood stock and Axis II trigger. That way you won't have to buy a better stock and trigger to get the best accuracy potential from the factory barrel. Make sure the stock, rings and base screws are all tightened to the correct torque. Buy some .223 good ammo. Clean good to remove manufacture crud and metal protectants. I'd be surprised if it is not sub MOA to 150 yards out of the box in 223.

I have the Axis with wood stock in 243. Very accurate with 95gr Winchester Deer Season factory stuff. Flex is not a problem. Went with a Rifle Basix trigger. Good rifle!

shortrange
    Thanks for the additional info. I will make a trip to WM tomorrow for some groceries and take a 2nd look at the rifle. I am not familiar with the Rifle Basix trigger and I guess the Axis II trigger is standard and not the Accutrigger. How is the scope ? The barrel did not seem to be a noodle barrel but I did not compare it to any other rifle in the rack. How is the barrel ? Thanks.

Basic Member
    Axis 2 has the accutrigger.

Most complaints about the Axis are the trigger and stock. The 2 in hardwood solves both of those issues. Picked mine up a couple weeks ago with no regrets.

I thought the only hardwood stocks were on the Axis II.