Thread: Looking for a stock I do not think exists

Basic Member

Looking for a stock I do not think exists

So I shoot left handed. I have a right hand 308, but am thinking about selling it and building a left hand.
    I have a left hand long action target rifle I built and I am using a choate ultimate varmiter stock on it. I had it inletted by CDI for their DBM and I'm using a AICS mag. I will start off saying I love this stock. I like the look and feel of it, and I also love the built in monopod on the rear.

I thought about getting another one of those for the short action, but it appears (from what I have seen looking around online) they do not make it for a center feed 4.4 actions, only the stagger feed 4.2 models.

So I am curious of what other options there are out there for us left handed shooters. Here is my description of what my perfect stock would be:
    Fits center feed 4.4 actions, side bolt release.
    Inletted for DBM that uses AICS pattern mags
    Has a rear built in monopod (like the choate UV)
    Either composite with aluminum bedding, or all aluminum (chassis?). I do not want wood (my own personal reasons)

Does such a creature exist?

Basic Member
    Well they sell them left hand cause I was debating one myself

http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/22-06-25

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Or the varmint version like you already have
    http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/24-06-08

Basic Member
    I have seen and held the ultimate sniper stock in person and really did not care for it. I much prefer the UV.
    When your search for the one you posted, it comes up as fitting stagger feed 4.2 spaced actions. Just like I mentioned in my original post. It does not seem like they make a UV stock for the 4.4 spaced left hand actions.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...ynthetic-black

Basic Member
    http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/24-06-17

What about this

Basic Member
    That is for the long actions, I need the short action center feed 4.4 spacing.

Basic Member
    Shoot them an e mail and ask. They are really nice people.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    So I shoot left handed. I have a right hand 308, but am thinking about selling it and building a left hand.
    I have a left hand long action target rifle I built and I am using a choate ultimate varmiter stock on it. I had it inletted by CDI for their DBM and I'm using a AICS mag. I will start off saying I love this stock. I like the look and feel of it, and I also love the built in monopod on the rear.

I thought about getting another one of those for the short action, but it appears (from what I have seen looking around online) they do not make it for a center feed 4.4 actions, only the stagger feed 4.2 models.

So I am curious of what other options there are out there for us left handed shooters. Here is my description of what my perfect stock would be:
    Fits center feed 4.4 actions, side bolt release.
    Inletted for DBM that uses AICS pattern mags
    Has a rear built in monopod (like the choate UV)
    Either composite with aluminum bedding, or all aluminum (chassis?). I do not want wood (my own personal reasons)

Does such a creature exist?
    Such creatures do exist, but not for the price point that Choate makes. McMillan and Manners will custom build you a stock that will have very similar profile to the Ultimate Varmint. Also in this price range, you could look at a chassis system. (MDT. Mcree XLR) are very popular on this forum. Honestly, there are so many chassis system to choose from. After that, it's a matter of choosing which stock you want to put on the chassis. However, these option will set you back ~$800. McMillan and Manners will set you back around 6 months.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Shoot them an e mail and ask. They are really nice people.
    I may end up doing that if I do not find anything I like.

Basic Member
    So after not liking anything I found, I ended up calling choate and they do in fact have the ultimate varmiter for the savage short action center feed left hand. She told me it was part number 24-06-12. I searched that part number on their site while I was still on the phone with her and it did not come up. So I guess that is why I could not find it. Not sure why they are not listed.
    I went ahead and ordered one straight from them. Once it gets here it will be off to CDI to be inletted for their DBM.

Banned
    Funny how often it pays to call and ask!

Now keep in mind that when I got into my final career (don't ask about how many before) my boss had to force me to make calls.

Now today its because texting and all that is the thing to do. Make a call, good lord no.

For me, growing up in the Wilds, we did not make calls. We could not make calls (mostly)

If we could it was a drive 10 miles. Calls were always bad news.

Now, I call frequently and often.