Thread: 111 in .270 to 6.5 Creedmoor

thermthomas1984

111 in .270 to 6.5 Creedmoor

I am wanting to rebarrel my 111 from .270 to 6.5 creedmoor. I am going to buy a Criterion 26" varmint. I am wondering if the contour of the criterion (link) would require any work done to the stock of the 111. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Basic Member
    Probably yes. The barrel will be larger in diameter along its entire length than your current barrel. I don't know what your stock is now(wood, synthetic). I have opened a few channels for larger barrels. I start with 100 grit sand paper wrapped around a deep socket or a wood dowel. and try to fit often along the way. Be patient

thermthomas1984
    Ok, that makes sense. I have the synthetic barrel right now. I am hesitant to do it myself since I have 0 experience with this kind of thing and I plan on using it for competition. I will probably call around and ask how much it will be to have a smith do it so I can make sure it's done right.

Banned
    I have had to open up all my channels.

For the Laminate stock I think I wound up with 80 grit, on a handle. Worked great.

I have not tried it with synthetics, downside is they will plug the sandpaper faster.

I also think 80 grit is best to start with on wood.

I don't think you will be happy with the results of opening up the synthetic...especially if it is the Savage. I have done it a time or two but they flex a lot as is and when you remove all that material on the fore end it doesn't help.
    Also, if you have access to a Dremel Tool and a course sanding drum it beats the heck out of sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by thermthomas1984 View Post
    I am hesitant to do it myself since I have 0 experience with this kind of thing and I plan on using it for competition. I will probably call around and ask how much it will be to have a smith do it so I can make sure it's done right.
    The synthetic stocks can be ground/filed/sanded really easily. I use a ball rasp that fits in a cordless drill. Don't worry about doing it "Wrong", that doesn't exist. You need to relieve the stock so it doesn't press on the barrel, Not working with 0.0001" tollerance watch work. I know most want things to be pretty, but we are dealing with a $25 plastic factory stock, if you open it larger than needed, you just have more air flow potential.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

thermthomas1984
    Will I need to do anything to the action? Or will the current .270 action work with the 6.5 creedmoor?

Sorry double posted... see below.

The 270 action will work just fine for the 6.5 Creed. I just did the same thing you are doing, but I did mine in 260 Remington Match. I also went with a Criterion @ 25".

I will say though.... Take a look at a replacement stock like a Boyds Pro Varmint Laminate at the minimum (as you are going to be competing) and probably should look at a McMillan stock if you're serious about competing. It will be a much better and more accurate stock for your rifle. The plastic stuff just doesn't perform and after opening the barrel channel, it will become even more flexible (not what you want). That's what I did anyway (Pro Varmint)... It will shoot .5 MOA if you do your part on the trigger after that.

Banned
    Note: When done the channel gets Formby's coatings.

I don't know if needed but it does seal and gets the raw look out.

Banned
    270 action is a long action, it will works ok single feed, but feeds if you are dong multi shot gets ?

Bolt head I think needs to be changed.

Bolt head does not need to be changed from 270 to 6.5 CM.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Have used my 110 for a switch barrel for several years. Bolt head does not need to be changed from 270 to 6.5 CM.
    I was wondering about that... I knew the 260 didn't have any necessary changes when I converted it from the .270, but I wasn't sure if the Creed brass was the same. Good to know...

Basic Member
    I used a 111 30-06 long action, worked just fine for 6.5 Creedmoor and feeds well out of the Drop Box Mag. You will not have to worry about seating long just one of the perks with long action.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfishn View Post
    I used a 111 30-06 long action, worked just fine for 6.5 Creedmoor and feeds well out of the Drop Box Mag. You will not have to worry about seating long just one of the perks with long action.
    I'm a dummy, I built a .260 on a short-action and should have either gone with a 6.5 Creed or built on a long-action. Could've had a little more room.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk