Thread: SWFA Scopes what do you think?

Basic Member

SWFA Scopes what do you think?

I'm looking to upgrade my scope for my 11VT in .243. The Bushnell that came on it did just fine to about 400 rds. I think it had pretty good clarity for a cheap scope. After dialing in a load it would shoot clover leafs all day long. Went to shoot a club match and the **** thing decided to go south on me. Since then I switched off my older Nikon 3x9 x40 prostaff from my antique 110 in 30-06. Still shoots great, but I'm thinking that I would like to try a match out at Peacemaker in the fall. So my budget is around 3-400 and my thoughts are the SWFA 20 x 40mm or a Vortex crossfire 2 6-20 x 50mm. Vortex seems to have a great Warranty, but I like the fact that SWFA still carries a NSN and is still a military issue item. I have seen a lot of reviews for the SWFA Scopes and they are nothing but positive, not so much for the Vortex. So what do you all say?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    SWFA 10x42 MOA/MOA. BEST $300.00 I have ever spent on a scope. Probably get better results posting in the optics section though.

I have a SS10x42 and SS3-15x42. The 10x is a great deal at around $300. Its turrets track perfectly and I was able to make first round hits on 18"x18" steel at 600 yards after dialing based on ballistics program. The image was good but I can't compare to the Vortex as I haven't looked through it.

Basic Member
    I put a 16x42 Mil-Dot on my Howa GRS. Be sure to check out their demo section as you can find one in excellent shape for $25 cheaper. Anyway, they are well worth the money in my opinion. I think you will find the 20x to be to much though. The 16x already has enough heat shimmer and the absolute sharpness is just starting to hit its limit. Physically they feel like a tank and the detents are positive and smooth. Eye relief, while plenty adequate, does require some very careful positioning as the sweet spot has no play. Almost wishing I had gone for the 12x, or maybe I really wish they had a 14x option..

I just checked out the Vortex scope and that reticle pales in comparison to the SWFA...not even close.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys, I didn't know they had a 16 power, maybe that's where my money lies. My local clubs range only goes out to 300, but the LR matches is from 200-1200. As with most people, money is tight, budget is tight. So I think I'll try the SWFA. I appreciate the quick responses.

I'm going to be the odd one out here. I had a pretty dismal experience with SWFA, both with customer service and the scope itself. Took over a month from the time I placed my order to when I received the scope. Once it arrived it was defective. I called customer service and they denied anything wrong with the item. I posted the pics of the issue(s) on their forum. They deleted the thread and got rid of the negative info.

I will say at at that point the owner got in contact with me and got the return started. I ended up going a different route and still have that scope.

I would choose Vortex any day over SWFA! Much better CS and fabulous optics! If you're a vet or active duty they have a pretty generous discount also. You can get this discount as well if you qualify through Experticity.

Sorry to hear your troubles Rusty. Customer service can make or break a company.

As far as reticle, I love the SWFA reticle. I like MIL turrets and MIL reticle and wish Vortex and other companies would put some sort of MIL reticle on their lower cost optics. It would make them more appealing to me.

I have both the fixed 12x and the 16x. for 299 ea., good to go. I used the 16x out to 1,000 with no issue. The only complaint I have with the 16x echoes what celltech said "Eye relief, ... does require some very careful positioning as the sweet spot has no play". Clarity and resolution are serviceable.

Quote Originally Posted by sucker76 View Post
    Sorry to hear your troubles Rusty. Customer service can make or break a company.

As far as reticle, I love the SWFA reticle. I like MIL turrets and MIL reticle and wish Vortex and other companies would put some sort of MIL reticle on their lower cost optics. It would make them more appealing to me.
    So far all of my vortex items have been top notch. Customer service really is one of the most important things. I swore I wouldn't send another dime of my money to SWFA after that ordeal, might have been the worst CS I've ever received in the sporting goods world. Too many other good places to spend my money that treat a guy decently.

Yes the MIL on MIL on the lower priced vortex line would be nice. Maybe someday, they are continually working to improve and add new items to their lineup.

Basic Member
    Another question, does anyone have any experience with Swift Scopes? I was talking with one of the members at my club meeting last night and he suggested looking into Swift. I still think I want to go with the SWFA 20 x or 16 x though.

Basic Member
    These are decent for the dough

http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Vortex-Viper-6.5-20x50-PA---Mil-Dot-%23VPR-M-06MD-Viper&catalog[product_guids][0]=1243759

Basic Member
    I have the fixed 10 and the fixed 12. They both work great and when I dial up 8.8 MIL for a 1000 yard shot and back to 0, it is perfect every time. The 10 is a little more clear and is better for hunting with a wider field of view. The 12 is by far the better target scope. For only the difference between 10 and 12, it sure seems like more. The 100 yard groups are better on the 12x with the same gun compared to the 10... like I said it sure seems like more. For the money they are everything you expect from a high dollar scope except for maybe the glass clarity. But I can give up a little glass clarity for perfect tracking and turrets

MZ5 has, or had, 2 of the 10X, and has a 3-15HD. They do seem to be dead nuts reliable, but they don't dial extremely well, and the 3-15x's optics really just aren't that great.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Have had 10x, 16x and a 20x for my 50BMG i used to have. Solid scopes for the money. Good glass. Great warranty. Get Mil-Dot Ballistics app to go with mil dot scopes. Great app.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

gpsman007
    i have replaced all of my scopes with swfa,, i have 4 all in mil,, mil.. i love the reticle,, they are clear,, i have two HD models one is the 3-9x40 hd on a henry long ranger,. 308,love it can shoot out to 1000 yards with it.. i have the HD 5-20x50 on a savage gun i built and it is awsome.. i have a straight 10x on a CZ in. 204 ruger it is also great.. another 10x on a savage b17 again awsome.. you will love which ever one you get

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_J View Post
    I have both the fixed 12x and the 16x. for 299 ea., good to go. I used the 16x out to 1,000 with no issue. The only complaint I have with the 16x echoes what celltech said "Eye relief, ... does require some very careful positioning as the sweet spot has no play". Clarity and resolution are serviceable.
    got a 16x last December. eye relief still very critical / not forgiving.

I do not think you would be disappointed in SWFA scopes. I had two a 10X and 20. The 10 was much more forgiving with eye relief then the 20. Good glass and tough as nails.

Basic Member
    There is better glass out there for sure but overall swfa makes a great scope at a great price. As everyone has said they are tough and they track well. Not much to dislike