Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel vise or action wrench

Basic Member

^^^ LOL Right???

Removing factory barrels is not all that tough. Harder than removing a barrel that wasn't installed at the factory, but nothing to run away from. Some tools are necessary, but you'll need those same tools for installing the barrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    Why not just use a barrel vice and nut wrench ? Just asking.
    That's where I've ended up. I got a viper barrel vise and a NSS barrel nut wrench on the way. If for some reason that doesn't get it done I'll pick up an action wrench. I don't think I'll need it

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    Why not just use a barrel vice and nut wrench ? Just asking.
    Preference mostly. Virtues and drawbacks with both.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    ^^^ LOL Right???

Removing factory barrels is not all that tough. Harder than removing a barrel that wasn't installed at the factory, but nothing to run away from. Some tools are necessary, but you'll need those same tools for installing the barrel.
    The first time taking off a factory barrel can surprise you... but foxx is right, they thread off the same as any other.

Quote Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
    That's where I've ended up. I got a viper barrel vise and a NSS barrel nut wrench on the way. If for some reason that doesn't get it done I'll pick up an action wrench. I don't think I'll need it

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Now i have never removed a factory barrel. Just buy actions and barrels and put.them together.

Exactly what i use. Bought the NSS action wrench when i first started but quickly abandoned it for the barrel vice. Barrel vice is nice. I use it when i am setting headspace and when i am working on triggers.

I also have a rear entry action wrench that i use to change barrels. Once i get the headspace set on a barrel i glue the barrel nut on. That allows me to spin that barrel off and later put it back on without worrying about headspace. I use the barrel vice and rear entry action wrench for that.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    Now i have never removed a factory barrel. Just buy actions and barrels and put.them together.

Exactly what i use. Bought the NSS action wrench when i first started but quickly abandoned it for the barrel vice. Barrel vice is nice. I use it when i am setting headspace and when i am working on triggers.

I also have a rear entry action wrench that i use to change barrels. Once i get the headspace set on a barrel i glue the barrel nut on. That allows me to spin that barrel off and later put it back on without worrying about headspace. I use the barrel vice and rear entry action wrench for that.
    What kind of glue do you use on the barrel nut? Where did you get the rear entry wrench? This how I would like to set up my Axis for barrel swaps, seems like faster and easier to do.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nixon View Post
    What kind of glue do you use on the barrel nut? Where did you get the rear entry wrench? This how I would like to set up my Axis for barrel swaps, seems like faster and easier to do.
    Blue loctite

Blue locktite

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...311-63432.aspx

Banned
    I don't use any glue

None is needed.

If you use glue that is not needed then you are going to need heat to get it off.

It won't wreck things but why do something you don't have to for no gain?

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    I don't use any glue

None is needed.

If you use glue that is not needed then you are going to need heat to get it off.

It won't wreck things but why do something you don't have to for no gain?
    So what you are saying is.you have no idea why someone.would.glue the barrel.nut.to the barrel.

What a barrel does is create a shoulder on the barrel. Now why would someone want to create a permanent shoulder on a barrel?

Basic Member
    ^^^but you already explained why you glue the nut on your barrel after setting the head space.

My only question is why blue? I haven't tried it, but it seems "iffy". I'd be afraid it would loosen when wrenching on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    ^^^but you already explained why you glue the nut on your barrel after setting the head space.

My only question is why blue? I haven't tried it, but it seems "iffy". I'd be afraid it would loosen when wrenching on and off.
    You don't wrench on the nut you use a barrel.vice and unscrew the action from the barrel.with a rear entry action wrench. you have index lines to make sure nothing moves.

You just tighten the barrel snug. 30 ft/lb is plenty. Some just hand tighten

Basic Member
    ^^^cool.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    You don't wrench on the nut you use a barrel.vice and unscrew the action from the barrel.with a rear entry action wrench. you have index lines to make sure nothing moves.

You just tighten the barrel snug. 30 ft/lb is plenty. Some just hand tighten
    It is really the barrel nut that is doing the work as the shoulder, the barrel is along for the ride, so the nut doesn't spin on the barrel-- but you gotta use the action wrench. Another reason some use action wrench....

Basic Member
    If I'm understanding this - I could leave the scope on change barrels and only need to fine tune scope for caliber I change too. Would just need to have barrel nut on each barrel, head space set and loctite nut on barrel. This would work for me and the way I want to swap barrels.

If I'm understanding this - I could leave the scope on change barrels and only need to fine tune scope for caliber I change too. Would just need to have barrel nut on each barrel, head space set and loctite nut on barrel. This would work for me and the way I want to swap barrels.
    Exactly. Some even inlet their stock where they can switch barrels without even taking the action out of the stock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12