Thread: New Savage LRP 6.5 Velocity Change.

Basic Member

New Savage LRP 6.5 Velocity Change.

Hello everyone, new here. I recently bought a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 and sighted it in with Hornady 147gr ELD M ammo, after sighting, I hit a 3 shot sub 1/2 moa group and went straight to 800+ yds to screw around. Before sighting in I put the Magneto Sporter on and recorded an avg. of 2740 fps 4 days ago. Today I went out and recorded an avg. of 2702 fps, only difference was location (2 miles) and the placement of the magneto on the barrel. Today I moved it closer to the bore than the first day I got the 2740 fps and the only thing I could think of for the loss of velocity is the magneto itself. For those with the LRP in 6.5 what are your velocities like?

I'm picking up another box of 147 ELDs to test again while I work on some loads which I stink at because I just started reloading. Any ideas other than the magneto speed for the change in velocity? The reading was with factory Hornady ammo not my own loads. Other than that, great rifle, should have bought one sooner.

Welcome to the Brothers of Barrels....
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    It is a fun cartridge! Was there a huge temperature difference?

Difference is because...

It's a new barrel still being "seasoned".

Bore conditions can have a affect on MV's.

After you shoot 100 to 200 rounds things will get better.

Another thing you're forgetting is that top notch factory Match ammo can vary 30+ fps in velocity.

I assume Hornady is using H-4350 or similar temp stable powder so the outside temp would have to be very different to vary 40 fps.

One has to shoot a minimum of a 10 shot string to get a true average muzzle velocity with honest ES & SD figures.

Too many times I have chronoed a 5 shot string that had 5 fps or less ES, but when I shot a 10 shot string with that same ammo the ES was 15 to 20 fps. And these are my handloads.

The best ES and SD I have chronoed from factory ammo was 31 fps ES from a 10 shot string.

Basic Member
    Try test your 147 ELDs once more and lets have the results, Was there a jump in temperature Change.

Basic Member
    Hello,

Thanks for the replies. It was about 10 degrees colder that's it. I didn't do a 10 shot reading, just a 3 shot but I just ran into an issue I've been reading about and might have to send the rifle back to savage. The cases are coming out scratched and difficult to eject, also difficult to close bolt on once fired brass. I did a search about this and it seems the LRP in 6.5 has had issues with tight chambers or bad chamber cuts. I loaded up some 147s with IMR 4350 out of the factory ammo brass to start testing and a few are coming out scratched, minor dents and very difficult to extract and eject.

I found out by trying to measure the chamber without the firing pin and ejector using a neck sized case and it wouldn't close, it wouldn't go forward all the way, had to pull hard on the bolt and noticed it was scratched in a few places. Tried a couple other ones and the same thing, I was getting more bad ones than good so I need to figure this out.

Forgot to add, when I brought it home from the store I did a measurement with the Hornady OAL gauge and the avg. of 10 readings was 2.248". Don't know if that's too short a chamber for 6.5.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    Difference is because...

It's a new barrel still being "seasoned".

Bore conditions can have a affect on MV's.

After you shoot 100 to 200 rounds things will get better.

Another thing you're forgetting is that top notch factory Match ammo can vary 30+ fps in velocity.

I assume Hornady is using H-4350 or similar temp stable powder so the outside temp would have to be very different to vary 40 fps.

One has to shoot a minimum of a 10 shot string to get a true average muzzle velocity with honest ES & SD figures.

Too many times I have chronoed a 5 shot string that had 5 fps or less ES, but when I shot a 10 shot string with that same ammo the ES was 15 to 20 fps. And these are my handloads.

The best ES and SD I have chronoed from factory ammo was 31 fps ES from a 10 shot string.
    Good to know, I'll try a 10 shot reading next, thanks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Magnum View Post
    Hello,

Thanks for the replies. It was about 10 degrees colder that's it. I didn't do a 10 shot reading, just a 3 shot but I just ran into an issue I've been reading about and might have to send the rifle back to savage. The cases are coming out scratched and difficult to eject, also difficult to close bolt on once fired brass. I did a search about this and it seems the LRP in 6.5 has had issues with tight chambers or bad chamber cuts. I loaded up some 147s with IMR 4350 out of the factory ammo brass to start testing and a few are coming out scratched, minor dents and very difficult to extract and eject.

I found out by trying to measure the chamber without the firing pin and ejector using a neck sized case and it wouldn't close, it wouldn't go forward all the way, had to pull hard on the bolt and noticed it was scratched in a few places. Tried a couple other ones and the same thing, I was getting more bad ones than good so I need to figure this out.

Forgot to add, when I brought it home from the store I did a measurement with the Hornady OAL gauge and the avg. of 10 readings was 2.248". Don't know if that's too short a chamber for 6.5.
    When you measured the chamber length with the gauge did you use the 147 ELD-M bullets, my brand new factory 10BA Stealth Measured 2.865" with 147 ELD-M, 2.840" with 130 ELD-M and 2.880 with 143 ELD-X.
    2.248" for your max length to the lands is way short if that is what you got to the tip of the bullet. Are you measuring with Hornady's bullet comparator or to the tip of bullet for OAL?
    If it was really 2.248" COAL to the lands you would be jamming factory ammo pretty hard into the lands every ltime you pushed your load forward. 2.800" is a pretty standard default COAL in a lot of books and QL as well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfishn View Post
    When you measured the chamber length with the gauge did you use the 147 ELD-M bullets, my brand new factory 10BA Stealth Measured 2.865" with 147 ELD-M, 2.840" with 130 ELD-M and 2.880 with 143 ELD-X.
    2.248" for your max length to the lands is way short if that is what you got to the tip of the bullet. Are you measuring with Hornady's bullet comparator or to the tip of bullet for OAL?
    If it was really 2.248" COAL to the lands you would be jamming factory ammo pretty hard into the lands every ltime you pushed your load forward. 2.800" is a pretty standard default COAL in a lot of books and QL as well.
    I found what the issue was, since I'm new at reloading, I was neck sizing too much. I started reloading with the Redding S Type and Competition Dies, those were easy to set up and understand but that was for .308. I'm using Lee for 6.5 and the Lee neck sizer is a pain to figure out the right setting but I think I got it now. I cycled the fired brass from the last box of ammo and all was good.

Yes, I took the measurement with the 147s ELD and no, the COAL is 2.864. The Ogive measurement was 2.248 so I can load longer than factory and still be good. I loaded .020 off lands and everything was fine at the range. I didn't realize the brass that was getting stuck were the ones I neck sized.

Thanks.

Basic Member
    88 Magnum
    I am Glad to hear it worked out for you..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfishn View Post
    88 Magnum
    I am Glad to hear it worked out for you..
    Thanks man.