Thread: Re barrel 308 axis to 6.5 ??

gardnr1

Re barrel 308 axis to 6.5 ??

Has anyone done this and can you share what is needed. I am new to this idea but would love to make my little 308 into a 6.5. I heard all you have to do is order a barrel and space gauge. Then change the stock. If anyone has the links to what i would need would be great. Thanks in advance. Robert..

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/find-a-stock You can look for a stock here... (if you're going with a Varmint contour or larger, make sure the barrel channel will have enough meat around it that you can "open" it up for a larger contour).

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/m...ade-barrels-2/ This is the barrel possibility. I'm a huge fan of the Criterion Barrels myself, but Shilen is every bit as good I hear.

You should also order a new precision barrel nut when you order the barrel. NSS also carries the head space gauges so you can get the barrel, gauges, and new barrel nut all at the same place. Convenient!!

I'm assuming you already have the Barrel nut wrench and a Barrel vise (fastened down to a bench), but if you don't you'll need to get those as well. I believe NSS has the wrench available too, but not sure about the barrel vise.

to be completely honest with you... If you're going to be building this into a LR "sniper" rifle I highly suggest looking at the 11/111 or 12/112 options, as they are setup better and you will have better results, with less aftermarket parts needed.

The other recommendation I have is to just go buy the Savage 12FV from Cabelas already chambered in 6.5.... It's twice the rifle the Axis is... and it will cost you half as much as upgrading your Axis.... Trust me on this.... As I've fully modified my 22-250 Axis.... A $300 rifle to start.... by the time I was done, it was $1000.00.... Don't make the same mistake I did.... It won't be cheaper in the end.

Basic Member
    Every other guy on here has done it. Most of them will recommend the 12fv... and a Boyds stock puts you into a great rifle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk