Thread: Filling accustock inlet gap around sporter barrel

Basic Member

Filling accustock inlet gap around sporter barrel

Bought a Accustock for a great price for my model 16 LWH with sporter barrel the accustock is from model 10FV so there is a good gap along the sides of the barrel, so my question is what filler/epoxy would be good to use to fill gap ?

Basic Member
    I have a sporter barrel and an accustock, I leave it as is. Any particular reason to fill it?

If I had to bed it to fill the gap, I would use the devcon putty, but man that would cost.

(Isn't the 12 FV just a beavertail tupperware?)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Rsadams
    Why would you not leave it free floated??

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    I have a sporter barrel and an accustock, I leave it as is. Any particular reason to fill it?

If I had to bed it to fill the gap, I would use the devcon putty, but man that would cost.

(Isn't the 12 FV just a beavertail tupperware?)

I'm going to keep it free floated just wanted to close the gap a little I haven't put the action in yet wait for the accustock recoil lug to come in to see how it looks. Just wanted to know what materials would bond the best to the stock and is your accustock for a sporter barrel mine is for a varmint and it looks like it might be a big gap.

Rsadams
    Mine is on a 10t-sr and there is about 1/8 around the sides of barrel...that's about what you want for proper free float... The barrel is larger than a hunting barrel...

Basic Member
    If you read his OP, he has a LWH, noodle barrel. Big gap. If you use epoxy of any kind, I recommend you heat the stock up a bit with a heat gun to bring the release agents out of the stock. Be careful here though, don't get it too hot. Then wipe it down real good with denatured alcohol. scuff it up with scotch brite pads and re clean with the alcohol before using the epoxy.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the Info RP12

Basic Member
    I would just leave it as is and ignore the gap. Think of this, if for some reason you do not like it or decide to swap it out for another stock in the future, having the barrel channel filled in might make it harder to resell.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I'm going to keep it free floated just wanted to close the gap a little I haven't put the action in yet wait for the accustock recoil lug to come in to see how it looks. Just wanted to know what materials would bond the best to the stock and is your accustock for a sporter barrel mine is for a varmint and it looks like it might be a big gap.
    I bought my accustock used, and it is a varmint channel. I am not going to fill it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    If you read his OP, he has a LWH, noodle barrel. Big gap. If you use epoxy of any kind, I recommend you heat the stock up a bit with a heat gun to bring the release agents out of the stock. Be careful here though, don't get it too hot. Then wipe it down real good with denatured alcohol. scuff it up with scotch brite pads and re clean with the alcohol before using the epoxy.
    Everything you said plus it would be a good idea to drill a series of small (1/16") holes all over the area to be covered with epoxy. I did this to a stock a few years ago and just drilled the holes about 3/16" deep about an inch apart. To make a nice smooth part line inside the barrel channel I took some 2" wide pipe tape and placed some long pieces lengtwise on the bottom of the barrel. The tape is fairly thick as opposed to electrical tape and I built it up to about 1/10th inch thick. When the epoxy cured it was nice and smooth and I just dressed the top edge with a flat file.

Devcon 10110 is what I used and it cures to a dark gray, about the same as Parkerized barrels.

Basic Member
    Some really good opinions and info here thanks