Thread: Looking for a long range hunting scope.

Basic Member

Looking for a long range hunting scope.

Right now I am looking for a long range hunting scope. The one that has my attention is the SWFA 3-15 SFP Milquad that they are closing out. It is $399. I am looking for something that will do well on my backup elk rifle (Savage 116 7mm Rem Mag).

Any other suggestions in that price range? My Main gun has a 3-15 Burris XTR2 that I LOVE, but I just can't spend that kind of money right now, and likely won't before elk season.

So I am looking for good scopes on sale and I really would like to have Mil, Great repeatability on the turrets and would eventually go great on my 22-250 when I can spend more money on my 7mm RM's scope.

Basic Member
    Bushnell has some great options in their hunting line that would definitely meet your criteria for consideration.

Team Savage
    thanks for the reply.Will check it out

Basic Member
    Take a look at the bushnell trophy extreme 4-16x44 with that models LR600doa, it's not the same 600doa as the trophy xlt. I just put one on my new fcp-sr 6.5cm and it is very good glass for the money. I have a mountain out my back door about a half mile away and i can pick out tree limbs with no problem. As always look through one before buying, everybody's eyes are different.

I did a review on this board a couple years back, had a bunch of photos, but with the Photobucket B.S. I'm sure they don't exist currently...
    Anyhow we had a few shooters compare that SWFA 3-15 HD against a Primary Arms 4-14x Mil/mil FFP. Short version is that if you are actually going to be shooting long distances, the PA Flat embare-assed the SWFA in image quality and color accuracy. Even at the SWFA sale price, it is just under $200 more than the PA. Worth looking into.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Burris has some lower priced options that would work quite well. The E1s are great hunting scopes at a fraction of the cost of the xtr2. With the ballistic plex you wont have to waste time dialing your turrets unless you just want to, just range it, hold over on the correct line, and let it fly. The reticle should match up well with the 7mag out to 600yards or so. I have one of the older American made fullfield 2s 4.5x14x that rode a 116 in .300RUM for several years and still performs fantastic ( took it off and put er on a 22-250 because .300RUM is just too much gun for southern game) as well as several of the E1s in various magnifications and objective sizes that I like a lot. They are be easily in your budget and I'd say the best bang for the buck out there.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I'm a big fan of Sightron scopes. So with that being said, given your budget and requirements, I would look at Sightrons SII series. They have 4-16x42 models with different reticles that might do well for you. Their warranty and customer service is some of the best in the business. Tactical Wholesalers has consistently had the best prices on them that I've found lately. Best of luck.

https://www.tacticalwholesalers.com/...tY0aAgVA8P8HAQ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    OK so far the list to check into looks like this.

SWFA 3-15 SFP Milquad $400

Athalon Argos BTR 5-25 $370

Sightron S2 4-16x42 $290

Bushnell Trophy Extreme 4-16x44 $(cheap with the LEO MIL discount)

Primary Arms 4-14x Mil/mil FFP $220

I think I have a good start to the list. Time to start digging. Thanks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    I did a review on this board a couple years back, had a bunch of photos, but with the Photobucket B.S. I'm sure they don't exist currently...
    Anyhow we had a few shooters compare that SWFA 3-15 HD against a Primary Arms 4-14x Mil/mil FFP. Short version is that if you are actually going to be shooting long distances, the PA Flat embare-assed the SWFA in image quality and color accuracy. Even at the SWFA sale price, it is just under $200 more than the PA. Worth looking into.
    How is the tracking on the PA scope? I can give up a little image quality for a scope that tracks perfect... That is #1 on my list, if it doesn't track right, it is no use to me.

Check out YouTube for a review of the PA 4-14 Mil/Mil FFP... Judge for yourself.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW7ZyW5SW_4

or this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fe4l_CAthI

These are IMO the 2 best options in that price range.

Basic Member
    I'll second the Burris E1. Have a couple of them. Nice scopes. Zero issues. My long range rigs run Sightron SIII's. More than you want to spend. For a hunting rifle like that the ballistic plex is nice. You also don't need to worry about accidentally spinning dials when packing your rifle for elk.

Basic Member
    That is a good point, maybe I shouldn't automatically rule out a BDC scope. I have a 6-24 Bushnell trophy hunter Extreme with the DOA 800 reticle on my 25-06. I have not hunted with it yet. I just had it in my head that a MIL scope would be better for long range hunting... but maybe I should just try it out and see how well I can hit the targets with it before discounting it.

Basic Member
    Sightron uses a system called "Exac-Track" (or something like that. I own 4 Sightrons (and about to buy a 5th) that all track and repeat perfectly.

Basic Member
    Oh, and another thing to consider is where it's made. If all other points are equal and one is made in China and the other in Japan..... Extra points are to be given to the scope made in Japan. The build quality and quality control are much tighter from the Japs, generally speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    How is the tracking on the PA scope? I can give up a little image quality for a scope that tracks perfect... That is #1 on my list, if it doesn't track right, it is no use to me.
    My box drill.

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I have a couple of them. 1 is consistently off by what appears to be 0.05 mil accross adjustment range, the other is correct. But both, whether off or on, track consistently across range.

I put it like this:
    The PA isn't the worlds best optics, not by a long shot. It isn't the best tracking, perhaps won't last a decade of constant dialing. It has no fancy bikini models singing it's praise on T.V., nor a horrendous price tag to accompany a warranty that makes you feel warm and fuzzy at night. What it has is tracking and optics that easily compete with the $600-800 scopes, for about the $230 mark.
    If you really want to spend $600-800, then easily the best choice for optical clarity and tracking is a Weaver Tactical. Model # 800363, only.
    If you want to start learning and growing with a scope you can dial, and abuse without carrying a shammy, then look really hard at the PA.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I think I decided what I am going to do. After shooting successfully to 1000 yards yesterday with my Burris XTR2 3-15, I decided that I am going to go the really cheap route and get a Bushnell x-treme hunter scope since I get them pretty cheap with the first responder discount and save up for a scope that is the equal to the Burris that I have but maybe with a little more magnification.
    Thanks for the replies!

Basic Member
    Well I guess I was in the right place at the right time. I picked up a XTR2 3-15 (not the magnification I wanted) with the G2B reticle (not really the one I wanted) for $639.99. With the $100 mail in rebate and no sales tax in Montana, the final price will be $539.99.

Sure it wasn't the magnification or reticle I wanted, but for that price I am SUPER happy! It was hundreds cheaper than the one I got with my First Responder discount.... WOW!!!!

Kind of glad I didn't spend the money on the SWFA that I had my eye on! I did order a cheap Sightron 3-9x40 from Midway.... but it will find a home somewhere. :)