Thread: Long action 233

Basic Member

Long action 233

I have a 111 that started out as a 2506. I am thinking of rebarrel to a 223. Could I get by with only changing the barrel and bolt head?
    Thanks for any help

Basic Member
    And magazine...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    22-250 would save you having to change the bolt head.

▲ ▲

Team Savage
    Changing the bolt head on a LA is a pain........ I just bought a new LA 223 bolt from Numrich. Easy.... change bolts, screw in barrel, set headspace and shoot. Ah, the simplicity of Savage!

Bill

Basic Member
    Make sure to measure the firing pin diameter to determine if you have the small dia pin or the older style firing pin before ordering the bolthead.

I am in the middle of converting a LA from .243 to 300 BLK. .223 magazine purchase may end up being the hard part of the conversion.
    If I can't make a .223 center feed blind mag work, then I will have to purchase a new bottom metal and have it inlet. Probably will go with CDI.

Bsekf suggestion on buying a complete bolt from Numrich has merit. Buying just the bolthead usually requires buying an extractor & ejector kit from another source.

Basic Member
    The changes across some calibers can be done, but it can be more involved as you go. The cost of a new bolt is half to a third of the cost of just an action. Frankly you might find a LA .223 on gunbroker, sell your gun, and come out ahead... or, get the Cabelas 12 fv on sale now and do what you will with it.

But, if I always did the smart thing, I wouldnt have as much fun. :) I have been down the rabbit hole. Come join us if you want.

Basic Member
    I was looking into this because I have a LA and found a deal on a bolt head and barrel for 223. Might eventually also get a 204 barrel which should take the same bolt head. From what I gather the only real problem I would have would be the magazine feed? Kinda thing I might be better in the end just getting a cheap axis 223 and use the LA I have for something else. Thanks for all the replies

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coance View Post
    I was looking into this because I have a LA and found a deal on a bolt head and barrel for 223. Might eventually also get a 204 barrel which should take the same bolt head. From what I gather the only real problem I would have would be the magazine feed? Kinda thing I might be better in the end just getting a cheap axis 223 and use the LA I have for something else. Thanks for all the replies
    I would look at a Cabelas 12fv for $368 before an Axis. Get it in .204 or .223.

Good luck.