Thread: 1000yd match

Basic Member

1000yd match

i went to a 1000yd match on sat, to my surprise i figured there would be some 6.5 creedmoors there, did not see that caliber in light gun or heavy gun, 70% 6 Dashers, 20% 300 WSM and 10% 6.5x284, it was sort of calm, could be reason there were more Dashers, i imagine if it was windy the shooters would be bringing out the 300 WSM's

chet

Basic Member
    That's not a surprise to me. If you see any 6.5's, it usually 6.5-284, 6.5x47 Lapua or 6.5 x 55 Swede.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    That's not a surprise to me. If you see any 6.5's, it usually 6.5-284, 6.5x47 Lapua or 6.5 x 55 Swede.
    this was at the Williamsport world open, i walked around talking to a number of shooters, i did see a few 6.5x47, i asked around why no 6.5 creedmoor, a few said the 6.5 creedmoor is too finicky on bullet length, maybe it won't make the 1000yd bench rest game

Basic Member
    If you visit their website, (Original 1000 yd benchrest club), you can see the match results.
    Not all of the competitors list the gun description or the builder, but many do.
    Take note of the scopes used, especially in the 16.5# light gun class opposed to the heavy gun class.
    Also the group winner in light gun, check group size for him on both days or both relays, and not just the 2 day average.
    Although he has been a top shelf shooter there for many years, it does show that when you shoot as for time of day can be very helpful.
    And another thing you cant check, is the number of barrels he chambered before deciding on the one he used.
    One of the shooters there for example had 5 different barrels along, all ready to use.
    So Chet, the next time you go, talk to the old fat guy on the power scooter, he's been there pretty much since day one.

Basic Member
    The only thing propelling the Creedmoor's popularity is the fact that reasonably priced "match ammo " is available. Serious competitive shooters don't buy ammo....they roll their own, and if you're gonna do that, there are better choices for long range.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    If you visit their website, (Original 1000 yd benchrest club), you can see the match results.
    Not all of the competitors list the gun description or the builder, but many do.
    Take note of the scopes used, especially in the 16.5# light gun class opposed to the heavy gun class.
    Also the group winner in light gun, check group size for him on both days or both relays, and not just the 2 day average.
    Although he has been a top shelf shooter there for many years, it does show that when you shoot as for time of day can be very helpful.
    And another thing you cant check, is the number of barrels he chambered before deciding on the one he used.
    One of the shooters there for example had 5 different barrels along, all ready to use.
    So Chet, the next time you go, talk to the old fat guy on the power scooter, he's been there pretty much since day one.

the old fat guy eh, i know him from 15yrs ago, he is Frank Weber, he is shooting a 6 Dasher, yes he does have a number of barrels, his son Scott buys j4 jackets and makes his own bullets, they are 103gr, Frank shot a fantastic 8 shot group maybe around 2 3/4" but the other 2 did not do him any justice maybe around 8 or 9in. he is having good luck lately with the Broughton line of barrels. i use to shoot groundhogs with him and Frank Popple ,and the late Sam Morrow up in Potter county in PA. i do agree with you on the 6.5 creedmoor, i might take my 6.5x284 with a 8.5 t Brux out of mothballs, gun shoots fantastic, were you ever at the range and did you compete

chet

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chetc View Post
    the old fat guy eh, i know him from 15yrs ago, he is Frank Weber, he is shooting a 6 Dasher, yes he does have a number of barrels, his son Scott buys j4 jackets and makes his own bullets, they are 103gr, Frank shot a fantastic 8 shot group maybe around 2 3/4" but the other 2 did not do him any justice maybe around 8 or 9in. he is having good luck lately with the Broughton line of barrels. i use to shoot groundhogs with him and Frank Popple ,and the late Sam Morrow up in Potter county in PA. i do agree with you on the 6.5 creedmoor, i might take my 6.5x284 with a 8.5 t Brux out of mothballs, gun shoots fantastic, were you ever at the range and did you compete

chet
    Well there have been lots of 8 or 9 shot record groups shot, and he has no doubt had his share also. lol
    Frank wasent the guy I was told had all the barrels along at the match, but for sure he knows how to shoot, and so does Scott.
    I only met Frank Popp a couple times at Kepps camp. Never met Sam Morrow, but did meet and hunt with his son when he was at Kepps.
    Those guys were the ones who brought real long range hunting to the Driftwood area where I had been hunting since I was a young kid.
    We had heard rumors of what was going on in other areas, but had never really seen it first hand till they moved into the area.
    They had all attended the Alex Hoyer class on long range shooting and all had his famous 6.5x300 Weatherby.
    I think the class only lasted until they shot the gun and he got all his money. lol
    I believe Frank had the first group record at Williamsport with his 6.5 Weatherby, but that was before things got really organized there.
    He of coarse later did hold the group record for awhile probably in the early 90s, and that would have been under 4 inches for the 10 shots with a gun built by Bruce Baer.

Anyway, they became my mentors, and were very helpful in getting me started in long range hunting in the early 70s.
    Actually, they either directly, or indirectly helped everybody in that area get started.
    Frank gave me my first (click chart), which in those days were actually shot at the various distances.
    Most likely given to him by Alex Hoyer when he got his gun from him.
    It was for his 6.5x300 Weatherby, and I had a 7x300 Weatherby, but he said don't worry about it, it will be close enough, and it was.

I have been at the range numerous times over the years, but as a rule just for a special event, and to b s with guys I had gotten to know.
    Iv'e only actually shot there a few times, 5 or 6 at most.
    I just could never see any point to it, especially with all the effort and expense involved.
    To me and most others I know, L/R shooting is just a means to kill game at longer than normal distances and that's all.
    And fact is the very best target shooters, aren't necessarily also the most successful in the hunting/ killing game department.
    But I do appreciate the dedication involved, and especially the things made available to all of us as a result of the efforts of competitive shooters like Frank and many others like him.

Basic Member
    not sure if you know Eddie Kenzakoski, he managed to kill an Elk at 2883yds a few years ago. that had to be a rush.

chet

That would be just a wee bit over 1.5 miles. Heck I can't even see an elk that far away. Wow!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chetc View Post
    not sure if you know Eddie Kenzakoski, he managed to kill an Elk at 2883yds a few years ago. that had to be a rush.

chet
    I have spoken to him briefly at the range, but cant say I actually know him.
    Again, he is a very good shooter as this years results illustrate.
    As for the elk kill, talk to him personally about it and you might come away with a different opinion of how (he) feels about it.
    He sat in Rich Kepps house and told him they were actually embarrassed over it, and would never make another attempt like that.
    Fact is he wasent the one shooting his mouth off about it. Guys like Bob Hart and Darryl Cassel who weren't even there, were some of the ones who tried to make hay with the story. I'm sure they didn't appreciate Darryl telling the world via internet what type rangefinder they had. But it and the gun they used were just like his, and that was the important part.
    Make up your mind that for every one you hear about, there are lots more you never hear about at those type of obsene distances.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The only thing propelling the Creedmoor's popularity is the fact that reasonably priced "match ammo " is available. Serious competitive shooters don't buy ammo....they roll their own, and if you're gonna do that, there are better choices for long range.
    That's not the only thing but one thing and it depends on the long range game of choice. BR? Nope but the Creedmoor, even with factory ammo, works very well in PRS style matches. Right tool for the job. Plenty of people load for the Creedmoor as well and why there are more brass options now for it.