Thread: III marks on edge of 20 gauge choke tube mean? Stevens 320

ENBLOC

III marks on edge of 20 gauge choke tube mean? Stevens 320

I purchased a Stevens 320 - 20 gauge new in box. The Owner's manual says these are shipped with modified choke tube. The seller told me this was full choke. I took out the tube and there are no letters telling me like my 12 gauge model, only three white III marks on the outer edge of choke at muzzle. What choke do I have here? What other chokes should I get once I know this one?
    Thanks,
    ENBLOC

Do you have a dial caliper? 20ga full choke should have an I.D. right around 0.587" - give or take a couple thousandths. Modified would be around 0.602" give or take. As for what chokes are available, IIRC they're Win-Choke chokes.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

ENBLOC
    I measured the muzzle end of III choke & get .590 inch, on the back side I get .615 inch. I view another you-tube and the III marks on front edge is supposed to indicate Modified. I just purchased a Carlson's 20 ga. choke tube being Turkey Choke and that is marked by print on side to be .575 inch. Hope to use the turkey choke on squirrels & rabbits? Or perhaps Modified would work better? Will have to pattern to decide....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Hollywood View Post
    Because clearly it wouldn't make any sense for Savage to just laser etch their choke tubes in plain English like most every other modern manufacturer does.

Do you happen to know the answer to these questions:

1. Does this color and asterisk code apply only to the 320's or does it apply to all of Savage's recent shotgun models? (320, 350, 555, Fox A-Grade, 301)
    2. Are the choke tubes for all models still the Win-Choke style or is Savage using something else now?
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by ENBLOC View Post
    I measured the muzzle end of III choke & get .590 inch, on the back side I get .615 inch. I view another you-tube and the III marks on front edge is supposed to indicate Modified. I just purchased a Carlson's 20 ga. choke tube being Turkey Choke and that is marked by print on side to be .575 inch. Hope to use the turkey choke on squirrels & rabbits? Or perhaps Modified would work better? Will have to pattern to decide....
    This is from Carlson's Choke Tubes website:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CarlsonChokeTubes.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	133.2 KB 
ID:	3459

As you can see, Turkey Chokes are tighter than Extra Full which would make for a very narrow shot pattern. Most folks use an improved cylinder or modified choke for small game hunting depending on the distance of their typical shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Because clearly it wouldn't make any sense for Savage to just laser etch their choke tubes in plain English like most every other modern manufacturer does.

Do you happen to know the answer to these questions:

1. Does this color and asterisk code apply only to the 320's or does it apply to all of Savage's recent shotgun models? (320, 350, 555, Fox A-Grade, 301)
    2. Are the choke tubes for all models still the Win-Choke style or is Savage using something else now?
    1)The color/*/notch codes are universal, and industry standard.
    2) Win-choke on the 301. the S1200 was Benelli mobil

Using * instead of notches or printed code is not uncommon, especially in imported guns. I have a couple CZ's both SxS and O/U manufactured by Huglu, as well as a Russian O/U (Baikal/Remington SPR310) that carry * marked chokes.