Thread: Stevens Barrel upgrade

Stevens Barrel upgrade

Hello, looking to upgrade the barrel in my new Stevens 200. It has the sporter 308 barrel and I would like to upgrade to a heavy varmit. Any good low cost way to go about it,are the savage factory barrels good, any help would be appreciated.my $ limit would be about 250.Thi rifle has been stored for a while and I have never fired it.

What's your use case for the rifle? plinking, formal target shooting, p-dogs, etc? Given that info, you will get more advice.

Basic Member
    Keep your eye on the classifieds for this site. There are lots of decent opportunities come up. A couple considerations for you are; the stock you have will have a channel for a sporter weight barrel. Also the action may be a short action based on the fact it is a 308. Thus you will be limited to short cartridges. however there are a host of really good cartridges in this category. As noted above you have to define your purpose. If target, then choices like 6.5x47 Lapua, 6BR or some such thing. If varmint, then something like 22-250, 243, for example. You have a multiple of great choices. Also, A savage take off barrel can be very good both price wise and accuracy wise. Good luck

Basic Member
    If I were you, I would sell your Stevens as is, and take that money with the 250 you have, and buy the Cabela's 12 FV.

The 12fv is on sale right now for $370. You can go on the Cabela's website and see the reviews.

You probably would still have money left over to buy a nice Boyds laminate stock which will also improve accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    i second hereinaz's suggestion. i own 2 12FV's one in 308 & one in 223, they both shoot about 1/2 minute of angle and are factory stock set ups. just buy a decent scope, mine have vortex viper 6.5x20 on them. if you go that route im sure you wont be dissapointed.

Stevens Barrel Upgrade

Hello Again,
    This rifle would be used for occasional target practice but the other members informed me of a sale at Cabelas so I might check that out..Thank's to all

Basic Member
    You wont regret the 12 fv.

Hello,After looking at the price and specs on the Savage FV in .308 with a heavy barrel and 370$ I ordered it. Now I'm wondering if the Ken Farrell base and rings and Millett Trs-1 that I purchased for the Stevens 200 will bolt up,well thanks for the heads-up on the sale at Cabelas with the 50$ gift card I received on Father's Day It was a great buy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Salguero View Post
    Hello,After looking at the price and specs on the Savage FV in .308 with a heavy barrel and 370$ I ordered it. Now I'm wondering if the Ken Farrell base and rings and Millett Trs-1 that I purchased for the Stevens 200 will bolt up,well thanks for the heads-up on the sale at Cabelas with the 50$ gift card I received on Father's Day It was a great buy.
    The FV is a round back, so if your action is a round back action, then the base will go on just fine. Everything else should work fine as long as you get a base on.

Thanks for the Info👍🏽

Hello ,just looked at the rifle it is based on the Savage 110/10 action and it is a round back so hopefully everything bolts up thanks....