Thread: 62F feeding issues?

pinger22

62F feeding issues?

I am just looking for some answers to why my 62 F, isn't feeding rounds. I have had no issues at first but these mags are shit. I have seen the rounds stripping off aluminum off the mags feed ramps. Also it seem that the rounds won't go into the chamber either, they hit just below it. I have also been having ejection issue. I can barely get through a whole magazine. I have tried even several different types of .22 lr ammo with all the same results.

Have anyone else have these issues. Should I send it in for repair, but I cannot see doing all that on a $90 dollar rifle. I wish I just got the bolt action instead.

First, the rounds aren't stripping aluminum off the mags, the mag lips or feed ramp are stripping lead off the bullet. Think about it - which is softer?

Second, you might have to tweak the magazine feed lips a little with a pair of needle nose pliers so that the nose of the bullets sit up a little higher to fix the feeding issue. It's a common issue with both the 64's and the old single-stack bolt-action magazines. Yes the mag's are crap, that's why they have come out with a new semi-auto design with rotary magazines in recent years.

On the ejection issue, if you're getting stove pipes (spent case not clearing before bolt closes) that's usually a sign of it needing a thorough cleaning. Make sure to scrub the breech face and bolt face with a nylong brush and some solvent to remove any built up residue from the extractors and extractor slots.

pinger22
    Thanks for the reply I have done that cleaning you stated several times. Now do they have these new mags that will fit the 62/64 rifles, I just purchased 2 mags for it they all look the same. Also as to what part of the feed ramp you talking about tweaking with needle nose pliers. On 2 of my mags there really isn't much left of the feed ramps on the mags. Again thanks for the replies you got me thinking.

The rotary magazines for the newer A-Series rifles won't fit in the 62/64 rifles. They're more like a 10/22 magazine.

I forgot the 62/64 mag is quite a bit different than the Mark I/II and 93R mags. Looking at it there's not really much there to tweak on.

5. 07-10-2017, 04:09 PM
    Reason
    Rule violation - language

BrentT

Post I've owned all 3

Quote Originally Posted by pinger22 View Post
    Thanks for the reply I have done that cleaning you stated several times. Now do they have these new mags that will fit the 62/64 rifles, I just purchased 2 mags for it they all look the same. Also as to what part of the feed ramp you talking about tweaking with needle nose pliers. On 2 of my mags there really isn't much left of the feed ramps on the mags. Again thanks for the replies you got me thinking.

I have owned a Plinkster, a 10/22, and a 64F. The plinkster is the lowest quality and a low cost receiver. The accuracy of the plinkster is fair but not a target gun. In fact, the plinkster is so bad, I would not even call it hunting accuracy. As for the 3 ruger 10/22's that I've owned, all of them except the first one I bought (40 yrs ago) were very accurate, with the right ammunition. And yes, CCI MiniMag ammo is the best "general" ammo you can buy in a 22 rimfire. There are many other brands that are good too. But I've had the most reliable and accurate functioning from minimags. The Savage 64F I own is on par with the 10/22 in the accuracy department. And my only complaint is the magazine. A sharp lip built into the forward leading edge on the very top of the magazine is the "feed ramp" and it has been thickened in that area to function as such. But it's not much to work with. The internal ramp on the 64 hardly even comes into play since the magazine is sticking up so far into the feedwell of the receiver its almost as high as the internal feed ramp. I've inspected mine and it does not appear that the internal feed ram engages the cartidge at all. This means its all left up to the magazine ramp. So, feed problems could be caused by a rough polish on the mag feed ramp and a simple and light polishing with a dremel tool would do the trick there. But there is another major problem, as someone mentioned here before, the magazine almost touches the bottom of the bolt and if you rest the magazine on anything that pushes against it, it will create a lot of drag on the bolt potentially causing a jam. Try resting the gun on the stock without the magazine touching anything and see if that helps. I'm going to look into milling or sanding my mag down so it can't touch the bottom of the bolt. This is a low cost measure and that's why the price is so low compared to a 10/22. More machine work equals more money. I am happy with my 64F now that I have recognized its little problems. They can be fixed. Clean and polish and don't rest the mag on anything and it should be just a good and accurate as the much more expensive 10/22.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentT View Post
    I have owned a Plinkster, a 10/22, and a 64F. The plinkster is the lowest quality and a low cost receiver. The accuracy of the plinkster is fair but not a target gun. In fact, the plinkster is so bad, I would not even call it hunting accuracy. As for the 3 ruger 10/22's that I've owned, all of them except the first one I bought (40 yrs ago) were very accurate, with the right ammunition. And yes, CCI MiniMag ammo is the best "general" ammo you can buy in a 22 rimfire. There are many other brands that are good too. But I've had the most reliable and accurate functioning from minimags. The Savage 64F I own is on par with the 10/22 in the accuracy department. And my only complaint is the magazine. A sharp lip built into the forward leading edge on the very top of the magazine is the "feed ramp" and it has been thickened in that area to function as such. But it's not much to work with. The internal ramp on the 64 hardly even comes into play since the magazine is sticking up so far into the feedwell of the receiver its almost as high as the internal feed ramp. I've inspected mine and it does not appear that the internal feed ram engages the cartidge at all. This means its all left up to the magazine ramp. So, feed problems could be caused by a rough polish on the mag feed ramp and a simple and light polishing with a dremel tool would do the trick there. But there is another major problem, as someone mentioned here before, the magazine almost touches the bottom of the bolt and if you rest the magazine on anything that pushes against it, it will create a lot of drag on the bolt potentially causing a jam. Try resting the gun on the stock without the magazine touching anything and see if that helps. I'm going to look into milling or sanding my mag down so it can't touch the bottom of the bolt. This is a low cost measure and that's why the price is so low compared to a 10/22. More machine work equals more money. I am happy with my 64F now that I have recognized its little problems. They can be fixed. Clean and polish and don't rest the mag on anything and it should be just a good and accurate as the much more expensive 10/22.

It's March 2020, and I just googled about this and came up with 30 or 40 threads just on the first page of results making it clear that this problem is very common and not just a matter of cleaning and not resting the mag on something.