Thread: Do 64 magazines wear out ?

Do 64 magazines wear out ?

Hi, first post.
    I bought a 64 about 10 years ago and never had a problem till today.
    The rounds kept failing to feed above the magazine lip, then after racking the bolt by hand all the rounds ejected.
    I tried to fill the magazine again but they kept just flying out with nothing holding them in. Like it sheered off over time.
    Do they wear out with time ? I only ever had one.
    Thanks for any help.

Basic Member

Thumbs Up

Hi Beefcube - Welcome to the Savage forum. Yes, the mags will wear 'cause the metal is some sort of 'pot metal' - very soft The best solution may be to adjust your mag with some needle-nose pliers, just doing it carefully until the cartridges will stay in with a full magazine. Use the pliers to 'pinch' the lips of the mag a tiny bit at a time. You may also want to 'soften' the outer edges of these lips so they are not as sharp. If you look at the previous threads you'll see that this is very common. I've had 3 mags do this, with less than 500 rounds thru them. I've been able to keep them functioning for several years Look thru Posts about the 64s I've made by clicking my username - I've been pretty active lately. Love that 64
    There are lots of things you can do to the rifle to improve function, with NO cost, too. There's an archive of threads for 64s, you can find it thru (at Upper right area of page) = " Advanced search > search single content > Savage & Stevens rimfire > 62/64 series: > (click) Search Now .

Good luck,
    Ed