Thread: Long bullets not feeding properly in Model 12 FV

Basic Member

Long bullets not feeding properly in Model 12 FV

Just got the 12FV from Cabela's in 223. So far it's been great and shoots incredibly accurate after bedding and stiffening the stock.

One thing that annoys me is that I can't load any round into the chamber, regardless of length, without manually feeding it into the barrel or putting it in the magazine first. Has anyone else run into this? I've also been adjusting the loads and lengths of my rounds in search of the best combination and once I get to a certain length, the ramp isn't steep enough to chamber the rounds and the bullets end up hitting the back face of the barrel even when I load it in the magazine.

I realize I can't put anything between the ramp and the barrel due to the bolt lug so I'm considering the following options:

1. Add some filler material to the ramp to kick the round up slightly. Not sure what material to use just yet though but thinking JB Weld.
    2. Trim the bottom of the magazine slightly so the angle of the round goes up before hitting the ramp.
    3. Maybe both so that I don't have to feed single rounds into the magazine just to chamber them.

Opinions? Other alternatives?

Single feeding with out putting the nose of the bullet a bit farther forward is almost impossible in a magazine fed Savage.

There are single shot sleds that replace the magazine for single shot feeding. Otherwise you're gonna have to put each single fed round with the bullet tip a little ahead of the magazine.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/LoadingRamps.html

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    Single feeding with out putting the nose of the bullet a bit farther forward is almost impossible in a magazine fed Savage.

There are single shot sleds that replace the magazine for single shot feeding. Otherwise you're gonna have to put each single fed round with the bullet tip a little ahead of the magazine.

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/LoadingRamps.html
    Thanks. Ordered up a magazine follower/sled.