Thread: Installing a scope on 64 - some advice would be welcome

jadebeer

Installing a scope on 64 - some advice would be welcome

Hey everyone, new guy here.

I just got my first rifle, the 64 FXP a couple of days ago and tried to install the Tasco scope that came with it but it points to the left. [My wife thinks that's pretty funny for various reasons, but she's the one who wants to shoot with a scope]. Right before I took the rifle apart for the first obligatory pre-fire cleaning. Everything fits together back nicely, so I doubt that the barrel and action don't line up, but somehow the scope doesn't quite run parallel to the barrel.

The wife is really looking forward to shooting it with the scope and I would hate to disappoint.

I'm going to try and redo it tonight, this time using a level. I'm also going to flip the rings around so that the screws point the other way. If I can, I'm going to move the rings a little forward on the gun. But it has be a little concerned that there is a more fundamental alignment issue here.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

2 things come to mind as possible problems...

1) The scope mount holes in the action may not have been tapped correctly. (meaning the holes are not aligned)
    2) The rings you've chosen may need to be lapped to get them aligned... (This is only going to help so much if the mounting holes are not tapped correctly though).

the only other thing I can think of is if your rings are not mounted to the base(s) correctly. But you would notice that I would think.

I just took a look at the 64 FXP online, and my bet is the holes are not tapped correctly. I suggest checking that out first.

jadebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    2 things come to mind as possible problems...

1) The scope mount holes in the action may not have been tapped correctly. (meaning the holes are not aligned)
    2) The rings you've chosen may need to be lapped to get them aligned... (This is only going to help so much if the mounting holes are not tapped correctly though).

the only other thing I can think of is if your rings are not mounted to the base(s) correctly. But you would notice that I would think.

I just took a look at the 64 FXP online, and my bet is the holes are not tapped correctly. I suggest checking that out first.
    Thanks for the feedback. They're these dovetail grooves.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebeer View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. They're these dovetail grooves.
    Glad you got the culprit figured out...