Thread: ID this "Johnson Automatics"

ID this "Johnson Automatics"

Hi!

I have been unable to find any definitive information on this WW2 era .30-06 Rifle. It appears to be a civilian version of the Johnson Automatic.but it does not have the Round 10-round magazine that is fed using two 5-round Stripper Clips. Instead it has a usual, common-place internal magazine with a Floor Plate and looks like it holds 4 Rounds + 1 in the Chamber. There is no bayonet lug, it has a Sporter type Monte Carlo walnut stock. The receiver is stamped as follows”

Appearing in Block form first:

U.S. PATENT NOS.
    2,094,156 - 2,146,793

AND OTHER U.S. AND FOREIGN
    PATS. AND PATS. PENDING

Appearing in Block form second:

CAL. .30-’06 SEMI-AUTO.
    “JOHNSON AUTOMATICS”
    MODEL OF 1941
    MADE IN PROVIDENCE, R.I.
    8XXX

Searching the Patent Office yields no ‘Hits’ on any of the 3 numbers.

https://www.uspto.gov/patents-application-process/applying-online/patent-number

Is it a post WW2 civilian conversion by the factory? Googling has not found anything on this version.

Can anyone please help?

Thank you for reading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Johnson Auto_CloseUp.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	3328

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Johnson Auto_profile.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	3327

Basic Member
    What a treasure you have found. Commercial Johnsons were made briefly after WWII. They also were chambered in .270, 7x57, and .35 Whelan. They were not very popular, mainly because they were expensive, around $250, when you could get a Model 70 for about $70, and difficult or impossible to mount a scope on. They were made for many foreign government in different calibers. Sweden in 6.5x55, some South American countries in 7x57, and many given to Chang Kai Chek.
    In 1954 Johnson went to work as an "advisor" for Armalite! He help design the AR rifle we all know today. If you look at the breaching system of the Johnson, it's the same as an AR!! The bolt assembly resembles a Browning Auto 5 shotgun. Very unique rifles for sure, and the history of these things is amazing. I know there's a book detailing the history of Maynard Johnson and his designs. but those are probably about as rare as the rifles!! The variations were amazing, they had a version that was a tri-pod mounted light machine gun with 20 round stick magazines, sort of like a BAR! They also adapted to Garands to use the rotary magazine. I probably forgot more about the Johnson than I can remember right now!!

Thanks Big Al for the additional info. If you remember anything else please add to your Post.

Any idea how many were made? The sn on this one is low 8,xxx.

Have a Great Fourth!

<\;-}

Basic Member
    My BIL has two Johnsons, so to speak, and the book I was talking about. I'll contact him and see if can get me more info. He's not on the 'puter much so it may take awhile! I've read the book, but can't remember everything.

One of the Johnsons he has was inherited from a family friend who was a Marine in Korea! He took it off a dead ChiCom soldier! I wondered what the heck a Chinese soldier was doing with a Johnson rifle, until I read that we gave a butt load of them to Chang Kai Chek. When he left the country, he probably just packed a couple suitcases full of money, and the ChiComs used any weapon they could get they're hands on!!

Thanks for the Reply and appreciate your trouble.

Have good one!

Basic Member
    Just talked to my BIL. The commercial model was made from 1947-1952, but I was wrong about the chambering, only made in 30-06 and .270, no .35 Whelan. There's no rhyme or reason to the serial numbers, as parts were made they were just tossed into a bin and one was grabbed when needed. So a rifle assembled in 1948, may have been made in 1942. Enjoy you're piece of history!!