I have been making my own cocking piece's lately. Pretty much a copy of the factory but I do not drill into the pin bore and I ream the pin hole a little tighter than factory. On some of the actions the feel of the bolt lift smoothed out considerably. Playing around is something I enjoy. I have read and listen to Fred and other gunsmiths over the years and Learned a lot of good stuff. I'm no Gunsmith but I think I qualify for what might be considered a Savagesmith. For me it is the journey not so much the destination.

Well the other day I am playing with a predator hunter. The bolt lift operation was working from closed to open to draw the firing pin to the cocked position, The feel was more precise by that I mean smoother than I was used to. As usual I tore down the bolt to see what savage had done right. Boy did I get a shock. I know a lot of you guys who have purchased new stuff in the last few years may have seen this, and if anyone has posted about it, I do not remember seeing or being involved in the conversation.

Parts of the design are still "make em cheap" but as a unit I am pleased. The cocking pin on this unit was much closer tolerance than what I am used to seeing. Not near as much wiggle. The two smaller springs give the pin great energy without having to adjust the spring preload and they definitely don't bind like the older single spring. Kudos to Savage. I can't wait to find out what happens when the cocking ramp gets the Fred Moreo treatment. Or when I get access to a 4 axis mill.

What are some of you Savage bolt tinkerers thoughts?