Thread: 300 Win Mag C.O.A.L' S

Basic Member

300 Win Mag C.O.A.L' S

hello all i am building a new savage in 300wm with a criterion match grade barrel i was wondering if any of you guys would happen to have measured ther chamber for coal lengths and what are some of the longer coals's that you guys are using because i want to order MDT's new ESS chassis for my build and they have the option for the 3.850 aics mag and was wondering if i even needed that big of a magazine i plan on using either the berger 230 otm's or hornady's 225 eld's.

Thanks

Basic Member
    It never hurts to go longer. I use the longer mags for my 338 LM as well. Especially if you intend to shoot heavy/long bullets. You can always shorten the rounds up. My 300 WM is a factory barrel and I have to run 200 ELDX .030" off to get in the mag. Pretty sure the heavier eld's are made to run long and this would benefit having longer mags. Allows more powder capacity as well if you don't have so much bullet taking up space

Like hafejd30 said, Longer magazine is always better.

I thought the longest 300 winmag magazine MDT offers is 3.7xx", and the 3.850 is for 338 LM. But I could be wrong.

Either way, longer is ways better even if you don't need it.

Savage short action magazines are 3" long while the 243win is loaded to 2.71" from factory and it feeds great from the 3" mags.

Basic Member
    Ther new ESS chassis has the option for a 3.850 magazine but i would have to modify the feed ramps to fit that setup

If no one chimes in with a definite answer to your question, your next option would be to contact criterion and ask what reamer they use and if they know the freebore length.

If I had to guess,.. I doubt the freebore is long enough to seat the 230 Hybrids out passed 3.700".... To seat the Hybrids at the lands with a coal of 3.800" the chamber would need a freebore longer than 0.300"...

I think SAAMI freebore is like 0.230" ish ?

The only 300winmag pre-fit barrel I have is a Shilen and it came with 0.090" freebore ! too **** short but gets good results with all bullets, including the 240 Matchking. Even tho they're seated very deep inside the case.

300 Win Mag C.O.A.L' S

Last edited by XL105; 07-02-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    Its Not the Violence that sets Men apart...
    Its the Distance They are Willing to travel!

Basic Member
    Thank you gentlemen