Thread: First post by new member

First post by new member

Greetings to all fellow Savage firearm owners. I am a long time Savage rifle owner with 110's, 116's and even two 10ML-II smokeless ML's along with an even 1/2 dozen different rim fires in my present ownership.

I recently purchased a 10FCP in .308 with Accutrigger, Accustock, DBM, with a 24" fluted barrel with 5R rifling. I was looking for some input on if it's a wise idea to brake in the barrel using the TUBB final finish. I bought this rifle strictly for use as a fun range gun to teach myself the finer points of medium range shooting to 600 yards and one day beyond that. I have no immediate plans to perform any upgrades to the rifle, like getting it glass bedded, unless warranted due to a lack of satisfactory accuracy.

I have read only good reviews of the TUBB Final Finnish but would appreciate if possible some first hand experienced feed back of it before I try it.

Thanks,
    DTJager

Team Savage
    Please shoot it first
    Why do you want to premature wear out barrel

Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    Please shoot it first
    Why do you want to premature wear out barrel
    Valid point, was exactly what I was thinking, but I've read only good reviews of the TUBB system and Savages are known to produce a rather rough barrel, and was considering weather or not it was cheaper to use the TUBB FF system or just shoot it. Considering it's a .308 I likely wont have to do much load development to get a accurate load so I will shoot and see.

The roughness of a factory barrel just means you will have to clean it a little more frequently during the first 200 or so rounds of shooting. Some swear by the Tubbs kit, others swear at it. I've never used it so can't say either way personally, but if you're going to go through all the effort of loading up ammo it might as well be developing your pet load for the rifle or getting in some additional range time with said pet load.

As everyone else has indicated, take it to the range and run some rounds. You might find it's a .5 moa shooter.

Banned
    Let me tell you a few stories.

Remember the stuff you could put in your engine oil that let the engine keep in running for hours?
    That was a chlorine based oil. US Military tired it in WWII (test only) as oddly enough, nasty people kept poking holes in their engines and the oil leaked out.

It also ate up the entire bearing system in about 10 hours. One mission. Gone.

The other question it did not seem to occur to people was, just how often does all the oil blow out of your engine and how often would you use that if it did?
    Never?

They did not tell you that in the advertising though.

Some years back some stuff called PTFE came out, it actually did some good. Downside - you better only put it in an American V8, it plugged the smaller oil passages on the 4 cylinder engines.

The reality is no one tests this stuff scientifically and establishes a baseline line. Its all, wow, this is wondrous stuff.

Then they claim it to all they know.

Lots of claims made, few proven, no science, all speculative.