Thread: Action wrench or Barrel wrench

Basic Member

Action wrench or Barrel wrench

I need to take the barrels off my M10 and Striker. I ordered a barrel nut wrench. I got advice to get an Action wrench from some, and a Barrel wrench from others. I only want to buy what I need. Barrel or Action wrench, which do I need?
    Thanks;
    joe b.

Basic Member

Re: Action wrench or Barrel wrench

Action wrench all the way. I gives you the grip you need to bust loose factory barrels the first time.

I would suggest getting one and then take it to a machine shop and have them mill a slot in it so that you don't have to take off the front scope mount to change barrels.
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day- Harry Truman

I use an action wrench, it has not failed yet to loosen a factory barrel on the first try. I also like the portability of the action wrench as opposed to the barrel vise.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Forester

Another vote for the Action wrench. I use the Wheeler engineering one, its nothing special but it does the job.

That said, I am going to get a set of barrel vice jaws from Northlander before I put the next one together just for the extra set of hands.

Team Savage

If you remove a barrel using a barrel vise, you only need a barrel wrench. If you don't use the barrel vise you need an action wrench and a barrel wrench. Am I right so far? The action wrench is a replacement for the bolt, a bar with locking lugs. How do you hold everything steady while you smack the barrel wrench with the BIG hammer?

groupshooter22

The action wrench your describing is a rear entry action wrench and should not be used to remove a factory installed barrel. Most of us use the wheeler action wrench that midway sells. It goes on the out side of the action and clamps on with a bolt in the front action screw and two big bolts that clamp the two halves to the action.

northlander

joeb33050,
    I would suggest the Wheeler Engineering Savage Action Wrench and a Barrel Nut Wrench that is machined for a 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar. With these tools you can remove and install the Savage Barrels of your choice.

Caution - Do Not Overtighten the Action Wrench. You can actually crush a receiver if you apply too much pressure. Just snug it up good and tweak it slightly. The Wheeler Wrench has the ability to use a 1/4-28 screw to lock the receiver in position prior to loosening the barrel nut. I also apply a single thickness of Duct Tape inside the Action Wrench surfaces that contact your receiver (no marring).

Jim Briggs
    NSS