Thread: Broke my Scope

Basic Member

Broke my Scope

My FCP in 338 LM was shooting about 1 - 1.5 MOA. I usually shoot off a bench using a bipod and a jack. After some research I discovered my groups could be tightened by "Loading" my bipod. I have a Harris bipod mounted and the bench I shoot from will not allow "loading" my bipod as the legs will slip on the surface. I clamped a small wood board (1X1) to the bench and loaded my bipod. I shot 2, 3 round groups and they were 3/4" to 1/2" groups. I was very happy. I adjusted my dope and the next round could not be seen (strange). I fired again and still not on paper. On my third shot I noticed I was impacting far right and high (off the paper). I corrected my dope, assumed I must have turned my turret the wrong way. The next shot was in the ball park but not at POI. I started chasing my POI. I also noticed my side focus kept changing. I suddenly got that sinking feeling my scope had gone south. Sure enough the magnification ring would not turn fully. I had broken my scope. This was the 5th time to the range with this scope. The scope was a Millett LRS-1. Nice scope suppose to withstand up to a 50 BMG recoil. Was a ok scope $480 bucks, not a great scope but one that would work for what I needed. This rifle is my toy and is a "project" rifle for me. I fully intend to get a very good barrel when the factory one wears out. Might replace the HS precision stock also to get a better check weld. So anyway I decided to replace the Millet LRS-1 with a quality scope as part of my upgrade project. I purchased a Vortex Razor HD 5 - 20 X 50mm. I will get the LRS-1 repaired under warranty and place it on my one of my other rifles, maybe my .243, .308, or 7mm Rem Mag. Of course if the 338 LM was too much for it the 7mm Rem Mag will surely break it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1953 View Post
    I fully intend to get a very good barrel when the factory one wears out.
    Unless you do A LOT of shooting, don't count on shooting-out that barrel.
    Glad you got yourself another scope and are shooting again.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I used to load my bipod and experienced the same thing you did at first. However, the biggest problem with loading the bipod is that it is not consistent. It's impossible to apply the same amount of pressure each time you load it. Also as you experienced, you may not always have to ability to load your bipod. When shooting from the bench using a bipod and rear bag it is best to get squared up directly behind the rifle to best manage recoil. Should be similar to a prone position, but more upright. The cut out benches are designed for BR shooters using an adjustable front rest and rear support that guides the rifle through it's recoil path. Shooting from a bag and bipod are much different and much more shooter reliant.

The below group was shot yesterday during load dev from prone on a bipod and rear bag with my 6.5x47. I would bet with a few tweeks that 338 could be tightened up quite a bit!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	berger 140 Hybrids.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	3300

Basic Member
    From what I have read, best to push into the bipod to tighten up before the shot. Sucks your scope went south. I have a Burris XTR II 4-20 on mine which works great. So far the scope is handling the recoil of the 338. I do notice my screws loosening up after eat outing. Have to get off my ass and blue loctite them. I reload but its still expensive to shoot. But enjoy it more each range trip. I always take it with me to the range when I take others to get some trigger time and get comfortable shooting off the bipod only.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Not happy to hear this I just ordered the same scope. I've read good and bad reviews on the Millets. I don't have high expectations for it but If it works as intended, I'll be happy. I got it on sale for $270 shipped from Midway USA so if it does break, I won't cry as much as you! Lol. Going on a 300 winmag so, ya, recoil's an issue. I'll probably glue the rings on the scope after lapping them and make sure I don't overtighten them. Finger's crossed :/

F.t.r.,my buddy claims his .338 lapua kicks more than his Barrett 50BMG! Makes sense since the Barrett weighs a ton more and has the recoiling barrel like a tank! Maybe they are only rated for up to 50BMG!?! Lol

Banned
    If not bench rest, 1500 to 2500 rounds.

At that point the throat is gone. Barrel may still be fine.

Then a question of ducting it back and cost or a new barrel.

Doesn't seem like you get your money back from a cut back unless its a cut rifled barrel.

Basic Member
    Too bad about the scope, you certainly made a good call on it's replacement.

Interesting article re shooting from a bipod.

http://www.6mmbr.com/TacticalFroggyA1.html