Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have some question on reloading

Basic Member

I have some question on reloading

I have been wanting to get into reloading for a few years now, but just never took the leap. But having bought a few larger caliber rifles, I am re-evaluating. I don't personally know anyone that reloads to get any info from.

So basically, here are my questions.

1. Cost. What does it cost (average equipment) to get into reloading for say 2 or 3 different calibers

2. Space needed. Is a dedicated work bench suitable?

3. Time. Obviously this would depend on the type of equipment and how many rounds I want to do.

4. Extra materials. What else is good to have?

So all in all, I'm looking for a fairly basic setup but something that I can grow into if I decide I really enjoy it. Thank you for any input on any of the questions or just input in general.

Basic Member
    Pick one of the kits that they sell and have fun

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Probably the best kits on the market right now are the RCBS Rock Chucker Special-5 Explorer Plus kit and the Hornady Lock-n-Load Classic Deluxe kit. Both are a step above the basic kits and include some additional or upgraded items (powder measure stand, digital scale v. beam scale, etc.). The Lee kits are another option that's cheaper, but I'm not a fan of their beam scale or their powder measure and I think most would agree that in the long run the above two kits are well worth spending the extra $$ on.

As for the specific questions...

1) However much you want or can afford to spend.

2) I would recommend at least a 3 or 4' long workbench area for your press, powder measure and scale while still having enough room for a couple case trays and boxes of components.

3) Time for what? To learn? To load 100 rounds?

4) Several different reloading manuals from different bullet and powder manufacturers. They're a wealth of information on reloading, and different manuals have data for different powders/bullets or combinations thereof.

Basic Member
    The hornady has a caliper (required) and the cartridge length gauge thing but that's not really needed

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Probably the best kits on the market right now are the RCBS Rock Chucker Special-5 Explorer Plus kit and the Hornady Lock-n-Load Classic Deluxe kit. Both are a step above the basic kits and include some additional or upgraded items (powder measure stand, digital scale v. beam scale, etc.). The Lee kits are another option that's cheaper, but I'm not a fan of their beam scale or their powder measure and I think most would agree that in the long run the above two kits are well worth spending the extra $$ on.

As for the specific questions...

1) However much you want or can afford to spend.

2) I would recommend at least a 3 or 4' long workbench area for your press, powder measure and scale while still having enough room for a couple case trays and boxes of components.

3) Time for what? To learn? To load 100 rounds?

4) Several different reloading manuals from different bullet and powder manufacturers. They're a wealth of information on reloading, and different manuals have data for different powders/bullets or combinations thereof.
    I recommend kits pretty much on the basis of how much of the original package will still be in use 5 years later. I think the RCBS is the one that fits the criteria of "highest percentage" with the Lee being the one with the least. I still have all of my RCBS tools and equipment from almost 40 years ago. Yes, I bought it piece by piece, not in a kit, but it all adds up to what's in the kit today.

Basic Member
    Does anyone have experience with this hornady setup? https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Lock-...tag=rateinc-20

Basic Member
    My buddy has one I'm getting ready to buy. Keep it clean and it'll run like a monster

Do you live in an urban area? Good garage sales? My cousin bought a great starter set of things for pennies on the dollar. He needed/wanted s few things that had to be bought later but his initial investment was very reasonable. Also, there's always 'that guy' at gun shows that has dies and bullets and brass.

I have a single stage RCBS press (before the one they call the Rockchucker I think) and it's great. Don't expect to be fast, certainly not at first. Be slow and methodical- be safe. For shotgun shells, I can fly along and produce a box in no time. Rifle and shotgun are different- more precise, more critical, so go slow at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 19trax95 View Post
    Does anyone have experience with this hornady setup? https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Lock-...tag=rateinc-20
    A progressive press like this is NOT what you want just getting started. You need to learn the basics and to learn what to watch for before you jump into that. Gotta walk before you can run.

Basic Member
    While I agree that a progressive isn't a good idea he could go one shell at a time on it

It all depends on what you want out of your reloads. This is the proverbial rabbit hole. Ask lots of questions before you buy...like you are.

Having a hand primer seater is a good thing. Quality case mouth deburr tool and a COAL trimmer of some sort may be in your future. A quality beam scale if you are looking for good accuracy.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danatkins8605 View Post
    While I agree that a progressive isn't a good idea he could go one shell at a time on it

Even if a person gets a progressive press to start with, eventually they will own a single stage as well. Hard, if not impossible to perform some specialty tasks on a Progressive but those same tasks are a piece of cake on a Single Stage. Especially if it's a Rock Chucker.

If you're just getting started take baby steps. When getting the progressive the old press won't be obsolete. And people often change their minds on progressives after starting out with single stages.

Basic Member
    I went through the same questions before I started, and a quick google search and a few you tube videos covered a multitude of information and answered a lot of questions. Just google something like "should I reload or not", "reloading basics", "is reloading worth it", etc.

Basic Member
    My goal is to be able to load my own rounds as sort of a hobby. Most likely would be .308, 30-30, and .45. So not looking to do high volume per say at the moment. Mostly just reload what I shoot at the range.

I just watched a good (or I thought it was) video on the rock chucker kit from iv8888 and he went over pretty much the basics.

I think you guys are right about the progressive press being not the best for a first Time reloader. It seems like the so for stage will almost force you to take your time and triple check everything, which is good because safety is key.

So for starting out, if I go this route, I would need the following.

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Chucker-...tag=rateinc-20

-Powder (correct type to be determined by reloading manual I assume)

-Die sets for the various calibers

-Cases

-Bullets

-Primers

-And a good caliper (which I have a digital one already)

Basic Member
    I haven't seen a single kit that had everything I use in one kit. What I would do is to start with a kit and order a few extra things.

The kit that MrFurious suggested has a lot of items that will be used for more than 5 years. I prefer scales that don't require batteries, but that will still allow you load precision ammo.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/45...h-priming-tool --I'm not a fan of hand priming tools. This is the tool I use
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/72...r-and-9-pilots --case trimmer
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...tainless-steel --micrometer
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/46...-to-60-caliber

You will need some good reloading books. The Berger manual is an awesome add as well.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/17...loading-manual
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

That should get you up and running. Only thing I see that's missing is a case trimmer. Since you're only looking to do a few standard cartridges I would suggest these from Lee. They're cheap, make trimming to length idiot proof, and you can use a cordless drill with it to speed up the process. You basically buy the universal cutter and lock stud, then get the specific gauge for each cartridge you're reloading for (.308, 30-30, .45 ACP) for $5-6 each.

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...Lee+Case+gauge

https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision-Cutter-Lock-Stud/dp/B000NOQIOU/ref=pd_sim_200_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000NOQIOU &pd_rd_r=QZDYXJ21X7JDHMV68KA6&pd_rd_w=3Jiam&pd_rd_ wg=ZAYVG&psc=1&refRID=QZDYXJ21X7JDHMV68KA6

If you want to upgrade down the road to a lathe-type trimmer you can, but I have both and rarely ever use the lathe as it's a PITA to get set to the proper length when changing from one cartridge to another.

I won't get into which press is best or not as it seems to be a personal preference to me. I have a Lee Challenger press and a newer Lee single stage that uses the quick install bushings for the dies. I like both but I only load for 223 & 204, not sure these would work well for the 308 brass.

I have both of my presses mounted to this https://www.midwayusa.com/product/62...eloading-stand with one on each side and offset to have some working space. It's very stable for the 223 & 204, mostly neck sizing but no difference in stability when FL sizing.

I have this in a small BR 10x10 or 12x12, I also use an old computer desk with the elevated shelf for my RCBS 505 scale. It's very stable and I use the lower level for case prep/etc. I bought a cheapo fold up work bench from HD, and I use the lower shelf for storage and the worktop area for collection of stuff I need to put away. Cheapo cabinet/shelf kit from wally world holds most of my reloading supplies. An old office chair works in this space. I can spin around from the presses to the computer desk (powder measure/scale) and use both of these areas for processing brass or measuring out powder loads, then spin around to load bullets on the presses as needed. I've seen pictures of some nice setups inside a small closet, mine is just a big walk in closet size room. I keep the door closed for the most part so the wife won't %^&$# as much.

The Lee scale that comes with a Lee kit is difficult to use IMO, I tried it and did not like it, the RCBS 505 is easy to set up and use, accurate when compared to a small & cheap digital scale. Lots of good reviews on Lee powder throwers/measures, but look for one that handles the type of powder(s) you use most. Some handle different types better than others, so...

I bought a FA brass press center and like it, you can get 'em on sale for ~$150 at times, it has 3 inter-changeable functions to suit your need/purpose and full time trimmer. Saves the hands and fingers for this old fart. This fits on the main level of the old computer desk when processing brass, but sits on the floor when not in use to clear the area for other things. I use an old cake baking pan under it to catch the brass shavings & powder/primer residue.

It all boils down to how much do you want to spend to save a few $$ on ammo. You can make it cheaper AND BETTER but it costs $$ to do this.

Basic Member
    You ask about cost so you should be warned that unless you plan on shooting thousands of rounds per year, it's cheaper to buy factory ammo. But cost is not what drives shooters to get into hand loading, it's a desire to learn a valuable skill and accomplish on the target what can't be done with factory loads. And besides, it's cool

Even if you buy mostly online and save tax and shipping, or wait for sales at Cabelas (they always have good sales in the fall and Christmas) you should figure on spending at least a thousand hard earned dollars to get set up. You'll need much, much more than whats on your short starter list in order to load safely.

For instance, I know a guy who loaded for 30 years and never trimmed his brass to SAMMI spec. and he got away with it, until the day he pinched a bullet in the chamber. He wasn't hurt, but he did replace some parts. Another guy (commercial reloader) put CFE for pistols in a rifle cartridge instead of CFE223 for rifles. Customer's rifle suffered a catastrophic failure on the firing line. So this is dangerous stuff if you're not careful and pay attention and have all the tools you need to assure quality in your product.

Regarding presses, I really like the Hornaday because of it's cam lock bushings. You can set up your dies just once, and quickly change from one to another in a few seconds without having to check dimensions or buy the really good locking collars that will actually lock onto the die. Its quick, and exact.

For now, forget the powder dropper. Use a balance scale and learn to weigh all your charges. Buy a Lee powder dipper kit, it's cheap and you will learn to use the one that when filled completely will deliver just under your desired weight, then scoop a little more powder and trickle the last few kernels into the pan. Really quick and accurate.

As for manuals, buy those who's bullets you intend to shoot. That way you get the best information for that manufactures bullets, you can't expect to load a Sierra 180 gr bullet using a Hornaday manual and get the same results. What you get will be safe, but not precise.

Hornaday has a good set of gages for measuring base to shoulder (important for setting up your full length sizing dies) and OAL (important for setting up your cartridge overall length). You'll need the modified case for each chambering you intend to load also. More dollars...LOL.

For a work bench, I'd recommend you buy two kitchen cabinets from Lowes and a pre-made counter top along with a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood to reinforce the counter top. This gives you storage space and a good smooth, flat and easy to clean work space you can drill holes in to mount your press. Home Depo has some butcher block style work bench kits with drawers too, but you might want to check the "butcher block" to see if it's really laminated wood, and not just a clever overlay onto MDF.

Powders; Pay attention to lot numbers. If you developed a load with one lot, and purchased new, you'll have to re-develop your load. Powder lots are only guaranteed to within 10% of each other. Different enough to overpressure your brass if you're loaded to the max to start with.

Buy good brass, and resist the temptation to pick up range brass to use for your hand loading, you'll be doing yourself a big favor and maybe prevent an injury to yourself or your buddies on the firing line.

Good luck, have fun, and try not to hit the sides as you fall down the rabbit hole of hand loading.....LOL.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by 19trax95 View Post
    My goal is to be able to load my own rounds as sort of a hobby. Most likely would be .308, 30-30, and .45. So not looking to do high volume per say at the moment. Mostly just reload what I shoot at the range.

I just watched a good (or I thought it was) video on the rock chucker kit from iv8888 and he went over pretty much the basics.

I think you guys are right about the progressive press being not the best for a first Time reloader. It seems like the so for stage will almost force you to take your time and triple check everything, which is good because safety is key.

So for starting out, if I go this route, I would need the following.

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Chucker-...tag=rateinc-20

-Powder (correct type to be determined by reloading manual I assume)

-Die sets for the various calibers

-Cases

-Bullets

-Primers

-And a good caliper (which I have a digital one already)
    It is.a.great hobby. Quite addicting. the.only way you will ever reach your rifle's full potential

But it certainly is.not cheaper than buying ammo.

Most of that "Starter Kit" will be replaced in the.first few years with the exception of the press. I still have my rockchucker i started off with well over 40 years ago.

I probably have more invested in reloading equipment than rifles.

Basic Member
    If you're trying to get into reloading to load standard 308, 223, 9mm, 45, ect, I completely agree, it's far cheaper to run into a store or order your cartridges online than it is to reload. Some of us on this forum can't do that. For example one of my bench guns is a 284 winchester, another one is a 260 remington. There aren't many commercial loadings to choose from to start with.

I also shoot the 44 magnum, which will drive you into the poor house if you intend on buying factory ammo. Match grade 7mm rem mag is also very pricey.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Psharon 44 is expensive even reloading unless you pud load it with cast lol

Basic Member
    I'm not really doing to be able to shoot for less $$ per round. Although it would be nice haha.

I'm doing it for more or less a hobby and something to do when I'm bored. And it's something I've always wanted to try since I started shooting.

I ordered the kit I posted, some dies, brass trimmer, a bullet hammer, and some reading material.

I'm going to wait on the powder and such until I give some of the reloading manuals a good read.

They are running a rebate as well so if I fill it out and pay shipping, i can get either $50, or 500 speer bullets of my choice (from their list). To me the obvious choice is the bullets since that's a better value price wise.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    Even if a person gets a progressive press to start with, eventually they will own a single stage as well. Hard, if not impossible to perform some specialty tasks on a Progressive but those same tasks are a piece of cake on a Single Stage. Especially if it's a Rock Chucker.

If you're just getting started take baby steps. When getting the progressive the old press won't be obsolete. And people often change their minds on progressives after starting out with single stages.
    Like what? Nothing I can think of that would be done on a press couldn't be accomplished on a solid progressive unless you want to set a single up for nothing but depriming, which to me is just a waste

Banned
    The problem with advise is its almost impossible to say what you need when you don't know for sure where you wind up.

What I will say is get the best stuff out there to start with, don't hink and jink your way up to the stuff that works.

My view is not always shared by others, but I am pretty serious about it and my brother and I bounce this stuff around a lot and its all based on what really works.

And that is a issue, there is a lot of Urban Legand stuff.

In my case I started out very basic (with a Lee hand kit, piece of junk, 3 loads and the cases were gone and those were straight wall)

Next up was a RCBS Junior, it worked at the time for pistol just fine and fit in what little space I had (ahh the good old days, tiny trailer at construction jobs, shooting on the day off)

I got into rifle latter, as I was hunting it turned out to be a waste to reload. The gun I had did not care what was in it, 1.5 inches and that did perfectly fine for hunting. But I got a RCBS Rockchucker and the accessories.

The straw that broke the back was I thought I had rounds and did not and did not have time to re-load, get the trip pulled together and do the sight in.

So I grabbed a couple of boxes of Federal Premium from the store, spot on and 1.5 inches (hmmm) and off I went.

So I quit for a lot of years, then got back into shooting but target only.

Then it all came into use and the money started to flow out as the hard lessons on extended reloading began.

Case break at the base, yep, have to learn to do minimum bump and you need a .001 micrometer to check the minimum bump back.

Split necks? Yep, you need to anneal to stop and that regardless of what folks say, is a dark art that I can bring light to, I found a post by one guy who advocated you could heat brass up to 1300 degrees and not damage it. By the way, that is insane! You have to know the difference between damaging metal where it not longer is metal and what heat treatment is and does (hint, 800 maximum for a fraction of a second, 750 is more better and NEVER head the case down to the base over 450, the case will blow up.

So, one thing, no press is ever wasted. I use the Junior now down at the range, I load some COAL spot on and the rest long and I play with COAL to tune a load that way. Works a treat.

My other brother gave up his reloading and I got his Rockchucker as well.

I reloaded in a 2 foot closet (width ) with a bench high floor) and did ok, but I was loading one caliber. You can go small but its a pain.

5 feet works if its a dedicated bench. You want shelves above and not real wide ones (not cabinets) Things get to the back of a cabinet and you never find them again.
    I just got up two shelves above my prep bench (my other one is a combo work and reloading). I am finally seeing light in brass organization (3 calibers)

So, for the serious re-loader.

Case Trimmers: Nothing works as well as an off the shoulder trimmers for fast and consistent and no fuss. , if you have more than 5 calibers then the Gerard motorized unit is by far the best.
    My other brother gave me his RCBS trimmer. . Lengths were never the same, latch in, turn, measure, too short, too long, too - total pain. It has do with length below the shoulder and base depth.

For a couple I of calibers I have the drill chuck upside down in a vice and Gerard tri trimmers (saves steps, length, chamfer and debur)

This last time it was start over or modify for the drill (which I put upside down and clamp in a vice and lock it on) and it works great.

I am trying the Trim it II with inserts, sort of a poor mans Gerard. I should have gone with Gerard it, but got lured in to thinking only two cases to load (remember the thing about getting the best?)

Yea a Gerard sets you back $500 or so, inserts are like $30. Right now I have about $200 into Tir Timmers and another $150 into the Trim it II (but I can add calibers now at about $20) though I have to adjust the cutter, its setup for that and I do keep a lot of brass and it only gets sized about 1 in 5 times. Still the Gerard is swap and play. I am pretty close to it now.

Powder Charging: Got straight to the mechanized disperse with electronic scales, Lyman has a nice one out (y0u need a touch pen if you have fat finger like I do. Hornady one is a lot bigger but easy to use, RCBS is a great one. Beams? Nothing beats an electronics scale for ease of use and versatility. Ever try to sort bullets on a beam? Is it 168 or 175. Hmmm, adjust, slide adjust slide, ok now for 175, repeat adjust slide thing. Ok if its wrestlers weighting in, not for reloading. $157 for the lowest cost one (and its good to have second scale, Lyman makes a nice one, its the wrigh only use and backup to the other one as it has a built in trickler I can load fairly fast with.

Dies? I found the Micrometer type are really nice, those are not cheap, $100+ for an RCBS or Forster.

Anneal: I tried the torch. Saw how iffy that is quality control wise. I used my brothers Annie until I got my own (induction heating). Even then it takes some work to get right (hint, heat low until you are sure, then move up, complete cleaned brass heats slower (odd) than brass not cleaned inside. $484 (shipped and life time warranty)

Brass Polishing: That is the next step. Stainless pins and the right tumbler clean out the brass and the primer pockets. The right tumble is $350. Still not there yet but that's what I will get.

I will probably not do it each time, just when I anneal, but you8 will need to anneal by 5 rounds, 8 if you are lucky. 5 is a good number./

How much have I run you up through?

Oh yea, forgot the primer. Again opinions vary. I fell in love with the RCBS universal. Why? I don't' have to put in shell holders! One for large and one for small base (primers0

And I broke it and RCBS sent me almost an entirely new assembly (with the broken part)> I think that is only $50.

RCBS prep station, always handy. I had to resize 7.5 Swiss primer pockets that were too small (one source of Brass for that these days though its good stuff, its size for European large primers and those are a shade smaller than US)

Also has the primer pocket brush and de-burr and chamber and those are handy for all sorts of things. That's only another $100 something.

I think I have you up through $1500 (I had the presses to start with) and we haven't bought the stainless pin unit yet! ($350 and a fruit dryer rot dry the brass off afterwards)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast