Thread: Bolt handle

Bolt handle

Looking to change bolt handle on my Axis. Anyone have an opinion on the glades handle advertised for the axis? Any primary extraction issues?
    Thanks Bill

Basic Member
    Just make sure it is truly for the Axis and not a model 10 version they say will work for both. If it truly for the Axis, should be fine.

Basic Member
    Back when I first started in this arena I ended up grinding down the factory football knob and then threading it to put an aftermarket knob on. It worked out perfectly! I know Phoenix Custom Rifles offered this service for Axis Bolt handles. I figured with it being like a $15 part I could go ahead and get another one if I messed it up. There have been many threads here arguing about the Glades Bolt Handles offered for the Axis. I am unsure of the current status of what they offer though.

Thanks lonewolf called savage today, $16.00 for a new axis handle, I to will give the threading my own handle a try.
    Thanks Bill

Threading your own is a good way to go. Here's how I did mine.

Basic Member
    After watching Thunders guide I was inspired to do all 3 of mine...was a lot of fun and a good learning experience! I am kinda miffed about how $$$ some of the metal knobs are in the market. I ended up finding some cheap ones on e-bay that work fine.

I have an additional video on that subject! But a good deal is a good deal. As long as the bolt knob is made of something with more structural integrity than old cheese, it will probably be sufficient.

Just what is it you do not like about old cheese? I am fond of the Blue variety with the right bottle of wine and crackers
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    I have an additional video on that subject! But a good deal is a good deal. As long as the bolt knob is made of something with more structural integrity than old cheese, it will probably be sufficient.

I did watch that video and maybe I am a knob snob...but I just wanted the look and feel of metal But what you have done is great and well appreciated!

Bolt handle arrived, used drthunder88's instructions. Worked very well, about 30 min worth of work. $9.00 bolt knob from eBay. Beats $55.00 bucks any day. Thanks Dr. Could not be happier with the results.
    Bill

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredArmy View Post
    Bolt handle arrived, used drthunder88's instructions. Worked very well, about 30 min worth of work. $9.00 bolt knob from eBay. Beats $55.00 bucks any day. Thanks Dr. Could not be happier with the results.
    Bill
    Get us a picture! Glad it worked out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent work!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Just what is it you do not like about old cheese? I am fond of the Blue variety with the right bottle of wine and crackers
    Blue cheese is fine, but unless it's OD green, it won't match my rifles!

I recently purchased a Glades bolt knob for a Model 14 build. The quality, fit and finish are excellent. No complaints.

Basic Member
    ^^^Yes, but the Axis model is, and must be, a different design. At one time they were selling bolt handles for model 10/110 series of rifles saying they also worked well for the Axis, which they don't. Whether the Axis style is as good as the 10/110 is the concern.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    ^^^Yes, but the Axis model is, and must be, a different design. At one time they were selling bolt handles for model 10/110 series of rifles saying they also worked well for the Axis, which they don't. Whether the Axis style is as good as the 10/110 is the concern.
    I am aware of the fitment issues, foxx. The point and substance of my post was merely to add a subjective impression re: quality.

Axis223Shooter
    Glades does have bolt handles for the Axis with primary extraction. I bought it for my cheapy 223 Axis and works fine. The only complaint I had was that the knob would come loose from normal use, so I applied some Teflon tape on the thread and that took care of the coming-loose issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Axis223Shooter View Post
    Glades does have bolt handles for the Axis with primary extraction. I bought it for my cheapy 223 Axis and works fine. The only complaint I had was that the knob would come loose from normal use, so I applied some Teflon tape on the thread and that took care of the coming-loose issue.
    I had the same issue and used Loc-Tite on mine. Easy fix. Mine also clears my scope (Zeiss conquest 3x-15x) way better than the factory handle. So, in addition to being tacti-cool, it actually makes cycling the bolt easier.