Thread: Vortex® Crossfire II 4-12x50 vs Vortex® Crossfire II 2-37x32

Basic Member

Vortex® Crossfire II 4-12x50 vs Vortex® Crossfire II 2-37x32

Hello,

This past weekend I bought the Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Rimfire V-Plex CF2-31001R for a Marlin XT-22. The price paid was $130 (Cabelas), the sales guy said it was on sale but I checked online and it seems that it's the normal price, not a big deal for me. I don't know anything about scopes. I am reading to get familiar what the numbers mean. I hope it may be a reasonable scope for the Marlin. The Marlin is used for the range only.

I just looked at Cabelas store flyer and they have the Vortex® Crossfire II 4-12x50 AO V-Plex Riflescope on sale for $119 ($199 original). Naturally I think this is much better than the other Vortex I bought for $130. This I was planning on getting for my Savage Arms 111 30-06. It currently has a Nikon 3-9x40 BDC which I have been told is a low end scope of Nikon but that it will do. So my plan was to return the rimfire scope and buy the one on sale for the Savage. Then the Nikon scope was planning on placing it on the Marlin. But only if the Vortex® Crossfire II 4-12x50 would really be an upgrade to what I have right now. The Savage is used for range at the moment and hopefully for hunting.

I have read here some people have been having bad experiences with the Crossfire II. Not sure if this only applies to the centerfire rifles. If so I would return then the $130 Vortex and buy the $119 Vortex and mount it on the Marlin and wait to get another better scope for the Savage.

What would you do or any suggestions? Thanks in advanced.

Keep shopping.... Save up enough for a Leupold. Vortex has QC issues, particularly with the lower end models. You can usually find the VX-2 in 4-12x40 for about $265.00 (on sale opticsplanet) up to about $350.00 regular retail.

Basic Member
    The Leupold, would that be for the Savage?

What scope would be fine for the Marlin then as you mention the one I have is a low end scope? Thanks again.

The Leupold is recommended for the savage. The Marlin (being a rimfire) will probably do just fine with the Nikon you referenced.

Depending on how far you're going to be shooting when hunting, you may want to try and find the Leupold that has a bullet drop compensator in the reticle, but if only shooting out to about 200 yards, a standard duplex reticle will serve you just fine.

Basic Member
    Thanks again for the help.

I got 2 crossfire 2 scopes. A 3-9×40 an a 6-24×50AO. very happy

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Rimfire scopes have a closer factory parralex setting than non rimfires do.
    Probably 50 yds compare to maybe 100 on regular scopes.
    Other than that there is as a rule no difference in the scopes.
    I would prefer a rimfire scope on a rimfire for that reason, but its really no big deal, especially if you put your cheek on the stock the same every time.
    Leupold will reset the parralex on any of their scopes for $15 to what ever setting you prefer.
    I bought a new Redfield directly from them with a 50 yd setting.

Basic Member
    So far, I am quite satisfied with my Crossfire ll, 6-18x40. Your scope choice depends on what your requirements are and financial situation. Not everyone can drop 300 bucks(or 5,6,7 hundred, etc. on a scope. I know, pay once, cry once. But money still does not grow on trees. If your needs require a more expensive scope, then by all means, save up for it. If your hunting/shooting needs are not long distance, lets say over 200 yds., then an entry level model may serve you well. I deer hunted for years with a Tasco(Japan) 4x scope on a 270. Killed 'em as dead as a 6-24x50 high dollar piece. Most people set their hunting rig for zero and never touch it again. If the scope holds zero, then mission accomplished.