Thread: savage 10 fcp-sr Scope ring height

pah696969

savage 10 fcp-sr Scope ring height

Recently I bought the savage 10 fcp-sr and am going to mount a Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50 and was wanting to know the ring height I should get. I contacted Vortex and their response was “I recommend a set of our Viper 1 inch rings in high height for your setup.”

Just looking for some advice as I am a newbie setting up my first hunting/longer range rifle. 300 yards and out.

Height is affected by the base and ring dimensions, the length of the scope from ocular to objective and the diameter of the barrel. There are so many combinations of scope dimensions it is difficult to be certain unless you have experience with the same scope, the same base on the same or similar barrelled rifle.

Understanding that a scope and a barreled action are two circles that cant intersect.

We know the action is very close to 1.350". The barrel is very close to 1.000", the objective bell could be as much as 2.750"(60mm) on the O.D.. There is the barreled action axis and the scope axis. You have a radius of .675" for the action and .500" for the barrel. There is a radial difference between the barrel and the action of .175". The scope radius(which may differ from my numbers) is 1.375". To find the center line of the scope axis above the top of the action, I add my clearance to the scope radius. .100" + 1.375 = 1.475". Subtract the radial difference of the action and barrel(.175") = 1.300. Now subtract your base height ( the narrowest thickness). An EGW might be around .275". Therefore 1.300" - .275" = pretty darn close to 1".

Now what is the radius of your scope? .5". You need a ring with a dimension of 1" from the center line of the scope to the top of the base or one that is .5 from the bottom of the ring bore to the top of the base. Either way it is the same thing. Go out and look at ring manufactures websites and find what you need.

If you go to this link and read the overview you will find that their medium rings would put you dangerously close to intersecting your barrel with the objective lens.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...h-rings-medium

The High rings are 1.22" this separates you scope from the barrel 5/16ths of an inch. Go somewhere else to find your rings if you use the EGW base that is.

If you shop for Burris rings they use the other dimension. From the top of the base to the bottom of the scope, so 1/2 inch is your target. Their signature Zee high rings might be a fit with a tight gap to the barrel.

Robinhood
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

pah696969
    Thanks Robinhood. Man I have much to learn. But it will be a fun learning experience. Just trying to keep the learning experience within my budget.
    Just got the Vortex scope in the mail. Now waiting on the rifle to be transferred. Think I'll wait till all parts are in hand and then try and make a more informed decision.

The Burris Signature Zee medium high rings are gonna work for sure but I wonder if the low ones would also work. If they're going on a pic rail then Medium height rings are probably best.
    If you have 2 piece bases then the low rings will work.

pah696969
    Thanks Zero333. It has a 20 moa one peice base. Still learning but think your suggestion of Burris Signature Zee medium high rings may be the ticket.