Thread: Savage 12 FV change caliber.

cliffspot

Savage 12 FV change caliber.

I have a 12FV in 223. I can get a nice Savage Varmint 308 barrel for $190 including shipping. Is that a good price? I know I need a new bolt head. Will the internal parts from the 223 head fit the 308 head? Will it all go together in my Model 12 action? Just getting into this Savage world and don't want to start getting things unless they will go together.

Cliff, You might do good to read some of the FAQ's in the Savage Faq Centerfire area. Lots of stuff that is factual.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...nterfire-faq-s
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

cliffspot
    Read thru most of that stuff BEFORE I wrote this thread. Going to manufacturers websites has answered my questions. Switch Barrel .com was the best source.

Basic Member
    Then I'm sure you made note of the following (found in the FAQ Section):

For the last several years, Savage has used a smaller diameter firing pin on their magnum caliber rifles. The reason behind this is the bolt head retaining pin can use a small diameter through hole which makes it stronger. The standard caliber firing pin measures .145" in the area it would pass through the cross pin, the magnum pins are .095" in that area. Because the firing pin diameter is smaller, the cross pin hole is smaller. So is the the diameter of the hole through the bolt head.

Starting in 2001, Savage firing pin diameters were reduced on ALL models. Therefore, when ordering bolt heads it is important to know what diameter firing pin you have to work around.

Basic Member
    $190 seems steep. I have seen much better deals on the classifieds here.

With few exceptions, as long as you have the right shank Barrel, you can eventually get all the right parts. I assume that you know that you will need a new magazine box, follower and spring, bolt head, Etc.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I would be more inclined to just buy another 12 FV from Cabelas. They were on sale for $369 the last time I looked, and you can buy $100 Cableas gift cards from eBay for about $80, and you are about even with the money and have two rifles.

Good luck,
    Richard

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rckendall View Post
    I would be more inclined to just buy another 12 FV from Cabelas. They were on sale for $369 the last time I looked, and you can buy $100 Cableas gift cards from eBay for about $80, and you are about even with the money and have two rifles.

Good luck,
    Richard
    At the price for the barrel, plus the cost of other necessary stuff, I agree. Buy another whole rifle makes a lot of sense.

But, when you factor in the fun... go for it. I certainly never let good logic interfere with my Savage fun. I learned a lot, and mispent money along the way. I had my fun and learned a ton. Now I reserve my switchbarrel fun for custom barrels or less expensive Savage barrels.

It was still less money than other hobbies...

Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    At the price for the barrel, plus the cost of other necessary stuff, I agree. Buy another whole rifle makes a lot of sense.

But, when you factor in the fun... go for it. I certainly never let good logic interfere with my Savage fun. I learned a lot, and mispent money along the way. I had my fun and learned a ton. Now I reserve my switchbarrel fun for custom barrels or less expensive Savage barrels.

It was still less money than other hobbies...

What other hobbies? Surely not motorcycles or fishing? I can't seem to find a "cheap" hobby!

Sorry for the thread jack.

Basic Member
    I vote New rifle a well. That is what I did.
    As far as an expensive hobby, the only more expensive hobby for me was "happy hour". I don't do that any more. I never bought a bike, so I can't speak to that. The fishing was not so bad. Jet ski phase was very close though.