Thread: Green Mountain Barrels

Team Savage

Green Mountain Barrels

What is the good, bad and ugly about Green Mountain barrels?

Thinking about having Bison build a barrel in 6mmx45. Green Mountain has the twist I want. Just wondering!!

Bill

Basic Member
    Great hunting blanks.

After that, it's up to the smith to make it a good barrel.

Bison can do that.

They could make a good target barrel, but would need hand lapping by you to make it clean quick like a barrel made off of a high end blank which would be lapped at the factory before you got it.

I honestly cannot see ANY point in getting anything better for hunting purposes. If you are looking for target precision you probably aren't as good as these will shoot or you would already have some rediculous obsession with some other rediculously well made hand lapped barrel for 2x the money or more.

I am not truly as disrespectful of target guys and standards as I sound, btw. Just being real. I would expect 1/2 to 3/4 MOA from most anything he makes you with GM blanks.

Basic Member
    Nothing wrong with them - depends who spins it for ya. The ones that shoot consistently are bull barrels. I can't say if they will shoot good if they are thin (0.70" muzzle heavy spotter).

Now for other barrel makers, 0.65-70" shoot just fine (i.e. Bartlien, cbi, shillen).

Reason I say that is I happen to know a thing or two about metal. 1" round from breech to muzzle will hardly flex - GM barrels in that thickness combined with good workmanship will SHOOT. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    I have spun up about a dozen or so in heavy bull contours and all have shot well. Hard to beat for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reason I say that is I happen to know a thing or two about metal. 1" round from breech to muzzle will hardly flex
    I'm convinced! LOL
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Bison does a great job with Green Mountain blanks. Jim threaded and chambered a varmint profile 22-250 in 1-14 twist for me. It shoots great. Preliminary load work ups with 55gr Ballistic Tips are all under 1/2" MOA. Working on seating depths and primer choices. Think this barrel will shoot 1/4" MOA with the right load.

Team Savage
    THE Good? The price.
    The Bad? You tell everybody about the quality and how fast you can get them and you next order may tale 6+ months.
    The ugly? Depends on who does the finish work.
    I don't have any "ugly" Green Mountain barrels.
    A couple of 20s and a couple of 17s. All shooters. And thinking back a ways. I've even got a couple of their black powder barrels for a couple of builds.
    They have been around for a LONG TIME. You just don't hear that much about.
    If they don't have a name like Shilen, Pac Nor, Bug Hole,Heart and a couple of other top name barrel makers, most folks won't bother with them.
    They're #1 on MY go to list for barrels.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Just got one from bison. Havent shot it yet but his finish work looks great

Basic Member
    I have a 12.5 inch 308 barrel for my AR from green mountain. Zero issues and just as accurate as the barrel I replaced. TGT as far as I am concerned.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Team Savage
    You convinced me! 6x45 is ordered. Waiting for Forster BR sizing die. Brass is ready to prep. Ready to put pillars in new stock.

Bill

Team Savage
    Bison got my barrel to me in about 2 weeks. Looks great, varmint taper with plenty of material for a set back down the road. Haven't got the stock finished yet, so shooting it is still a week off. Could not be happier at this point. Will let you know how it shoots.

Bill

Basic Member
    Good choice. Hope she shoots for you. I have a green mountain barrel chambered from Jim @ AGW. 26" 284 Win, in light varmint countour. It shoots less than moa all the way out to 500 yards. Haven't taken it further than that. I've been pretty happy with it.

Team Savage
    I am working loads up and breaking in barrel, so didn't expect much. Got a couple loads the shoot 1 inch 3 shot groups at 200 Yds. It looks very promising. Super service from Jim at Bison. He will get more of my business.

Bill

Basic Member
    Perfect timing - I just shot mine for the first time tonight. I used a Green Mountain 25" .204 SST blank, a PTG 20P reamer, threads by me. Chambered it, threaded it, faced it and crowned it, recessed target crown.
    Fired a test round with a string from about 20ft (i never trust any barrel until it has been shot once). then i fired 6 rounds that can be covered by a dime easily. adjusted the scope 1" right -bullseye

This is my second GM build, they out shoot me! What more can i ask?

I can't post pics so if you want to see my target email me

Randy