Thread: Rebarrel a Ruger

Basic Member

Rebarrel a Ruger

My dad has a ruger m77 that needs a new barrel. I would like to purchase a barrel in the quality range of ER Shaw barrels. Do you fellas know of any drop in barrels barrels?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ruger M77 barrels are shouldered up to the receiver so you're not going to find a pre-fit option. Any barrel will have to be fit and headspaced by a gunsmith.

Team Savage
    Pac Nor makes pre fit barrels, they are short shouldered
    you will still need a smith , unless you have a lathe

Send it to ER Shaw and have them install the barrel.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'll call up ER Shaw tomorrow and see how much it would be for them to install one of their barrels. They should be cheaper than Mcgowen league barrel and install.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/scb-price-list.php

About $360 for chrome only barrel with bluing. $425 for a stainless steel barrel.

Basic Member
    For reference - I had a Ruger 77 Varmint in 22-250 that needed a new barrel. Hired a smith, installed a Shilen SS, Matte finish, 26 inch varmint contour, 250 AI - cost was $560, time was 3 weeks.

Completely satisfied with the work done. Worst thing is - now I'm a believer in aftermarket, heavy barrels - and that's going to cost me....

I wanted to get the Ruger done because I wanted to sell it, and was not going to sell it to anyone knowing how severe the throat erosion was. It's a right handed rifle in my left hand world I wanted gone so I could replace it with a lefty. I like how it shoots so well now it's going to take me a while to part with it!

Basic Member
    My dad decided that it made more sense to trade that ruger. I convinced him to get a Savage after showing him how easy it is to replace the barrels on them. His remington will be setup in a Rem/age configuration as well.

Basic Member
    Ruger will rebarrel it for you at a fair price, except they won't do any other caliber than the factory barrel. Shaw has a good program if you want to go that route.

This is probably a mute point now as this is half a year old, but for the sake of knowledge.

Ruger M77's in all their flavors, and the current crop of Ruger American recievers(American and RPR) All have the same thread spec.
    Which means in fact that you CAN rebarrel them yourself! There well may be others at this point, but Black Hole Weaponry sells threaded drop-in barrels. The nut can be bought from PT&G, and a standard AR-armorers wrench fits.
    MZ5 built a match rifle with this method a year ago. I've posted some pictures of the rifle, but with the current shennanigans with Photobucket haven't updated to a reasonable hosting site yet.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.