Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My 1/2" Savage

Basic Member

That's nice. Got love it when a plan comes together.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    Most every IBS match run today lists a factory class Fred, At least the score matches do.
    The IBS has no factory class that it sanctions, but most clubs hosting an IBS match will include a "factory class" that follows the same rules as IBS, but it is only recognized by the club and the club's particular set of rules regarding what constitutes what "factory class". This "unofficial" class is intended to get more shooters and train beginners.

And it would.not even be competitive in an IBS benchrest match no matter what.class.

But i like it. Making me a better shooter and reloader. Lots less expensive than a true custom bench rifle.

It would competitive in long range.....I can testify to that.

"As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Fred I know the reasons why the local clubs do it and the IBS better get their poop together and do some rethinking on classes. Look at the results from the last few years and you will see attendance has been steadily going down. Matches that used to get 35-40 shooters are now getting 15-18 at most -- big drop off.
    But this is a discussion for a different thread.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Those two are strictly bench guns. The one on the right is still a work in progress, it is a Model 12 single shot all done over by Sharp Shooter, T & T 3 oz. trigger McMillan edge stock, CBI 308 1:13 bull barrel Weaver T 36 Leupold bases and rings. I got it to shoot right at .4 but not having any luck getting it smaller using Sierra 125gr. Mk's.
    The other is a PTA with standard accutrigger set at 8oz., Shehane baby tracker stock, X Caliber 6BR 1:7 full cylinder barrel, Kelby bases and rings, Weaver T 46. This is/was shooting in the high teens low .2's but I some how screwed up my sizing die changing presses so now I am redoing everything and hopefully will get it back this weekend.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    Those two are strictly bench guns. The one on the right is still a work in progress, it is a Model 12 single shot all done over by Sharp Shooter, T & T 3 oz. trigger McMillan edge stock, CBI 308 1:13 bull barrel Weaver T 36 Leupold bases and rings. I got it to shoot right at .4 but not having any luck getting it smaller using Sierra 125gr. Mk's.
    The other is a PTA with standard accutrigger set at 8oz., Shehane baby tracker stock, X Caliber 6BR 1:7 full cylinder barrel, Kelby bases and rings, Weaver T 46. This is/was shooting in the high teens low .2's but I some how screwed up my sizing die changing presses so now I am redoing everything and hopefully will get it back this weekend.
    Sure is fun getting these guns to shoot. When i can get one of those targets with 5 five shot groups in the 2s i will have achieved my goal. Really just started load development. Found my charge on Saturday and went home and loaded up another 25 and shot those 5 groups Sunday. Lots of fine tuning to come. Seating depth test this weekend.

Basic Member
    Very nice. You and your gun are shooting better than me and my similar setup. Is your DogTracker also 3.12" wide like mine is? I have yet to get mine to shoot consistent free recoil. What front bag setup are you using? I'm looking to upgrade mine and wouldn't mind a recommendation from somebody with the same stock that's agging so well. My last group today I used thumb pressure and a real light shoulder touch and shot .240" ctc but it's nowhere near that every group. That's with 80gr Bergers and N135 which seems to be the most forgiving load. It will also shoot the 68 FBHP and 105 Hybrid Bergers and the 107 SMK well. I'm just really struggling with bag setup and consistent tracking.

I'm interested to hear how you handle yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Maztech89 View Post
    Very nice. You and your gun are shooting better than me and my similar setup. Is your DogTracker also 3.12" wide like mine is? I have yet to get mine to shoot consistent free recoil. What front bag setup are you using? I'm looking to upgrade mine and wouldn't mind a recommendation from somebody with the same stock that's agging so well. My last group today I used thumb pressure and a real light shoulder touch and shot .240" ctc but it's nowhere near that every group. That's with 80gr Bergers and N135 which seems to be the most forgiving load. It will also shoot the 68 FBHP and 105 Hybrid Bergers and the 107 SMK well. I'm just really struggling with bag setup and consistent tracking.

I'm interested to hear how you handle yours.
    Well i have a SEB mini front rest and a flat top protektor rear bag with slick stuff and heavy sand. It doesn't move. Take my time setting up and getting the rest and bag lined up. When it is right when i push it up to the forearm stop after a.shot it is almost perfectly on target. The mini has helped a lot with consistent aiming.

The mini has a level and i set it up level. My rifle also has a level and i check it every shot. At first the dog tracker did have a tendency to get out of level but by playing with the tension on the front bag i have it dialed in now. Really got the dog tracker because my plan was to put a.creedmoor barrel and a dasher barrel on it but i am having so much fun with the 6BR that creedmoor barrel may just stay in the closet. A straight BR stock might have been a better choice but i am very pleased with my results.

I am still working on load development. The target above was shot with 105 berger hybrids and a soft jam. This weekend i did a seating depth test. Found 2 nodes. .005 off and .020 off. Both were 1 hole groups. Tried the..020 off yesterday and it did repeat. Will test the..005 off next weekend. Overall i am very pleased with progress. Might just have me a consistent quarter inch gun.

Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    Well i have been working.on this one for over a year. Finally coming to fruition.

Savage dual port target action. Shilen select match 26" Bull in 6BR. Sharpshooters supply dogtracker stock.

This target should put me solidly in the 1/2" Savage group. I hope my shooting.can improve. The gun has potential.

I'm VERY interested to know if you ever shot the rifle while it was still in 100% factory configuration, and if you did what was the rifles accuracy? Correct me if I'm wrong but after replacing the Savage factory barrel and stock all you had left that was still Savage was the action. I would like to know because I think it is of considerable significance if once you made the modifications you experienced a accuracy increase from 1 MOA to 0.5 MOA and was there for worth the considerable expense a new custom barrel and stock costs. I'm guessing but the AM stock and barrel you bought likely cost 90% or more your original purchase price of the stock rifle.

I just bought a 10FCP and may or may not upgrade it depending on it's accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by DTJager View Post
    I'm VERY interested to know if you ever shot the rifle while it was still in 100% factory configuration, and if you did what was the rifles accuracy? Correct me if I'm wrong but after replacing the Savage factory barrel and stock all you had left that was still Savage was the action. I would like to know because I think it is of considerable significance if once you made the modifications you experienced a accuracy increase from 1 MOA to 0.5 MOA and was there for worth the considerable expense a new custom barrel and stock costs. I'm guessing but the AM stock and barrel you bought likely cost 90% or more your original purchase price of the stock rifle.

I just bought a 10FCP and may or may not upgrade it depending on it's accuracy.
    Some stock savages shoot great. Some not so. It is the luck of the draw.

I am a do it yourselfer. Love a challenge. What attracted me to the savage was the barrel nut and the options it opened up. I bought just the action and all the other parts separately because i wanted to build it myself. I have never owned a factory savage.i have been very impressed how this has turned out.

Basic Member
    I finally got the Berger 105 Hybrids to shoot out of my 6mmbr today when I upped the charge to 30.5 of Varget and the speed to 2882. This is out of a 28 in 8 twist X-Caliber varmint contour. Shooting off a bi-pod and rear bag, I found I could not break my cheek weld after I started the string. Group size went from .8 moa to .38 moa at 300 yds. Maybe I just need a new scope? I know my Vortex HS 6-24X50 has parallax issues. I guess this just re-confirms it.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I finally got the Berger 105 Hybrids to shoot out of my 6mmbr today when I upped the charge to 30.5 of Varget and the speed to 2882. This is out of a 28 in 8 twist X-Caliber varmint contour. Shooting off a bi-pod and rear bag, I found I could not break my cheek weld after I started the string. Group size went from .8 moa to .38 moa at 300 yds. Maybe I just need a new scope? I know my Vortex HS 6-24X50 has parallax issues. I guess this just re-confirms it.
    That is a pretty hot load there. Glad you got it shooting. Let us know how that brass holds up. I am a full grain below where you are.

Well i have done a lot of work since first posting this. Load development, seating depth test, brass sorting, neck turning, sorting by seating pressure with a 21st century hydro press. Sorting by concentricity with a 21st century concentricity gauge.

Hard work is paying off. I have learned a lot.

ES 16 SD 5.2

Kind of suprised no comments

This is.what can be accomplished with our barrel nut guns with hard work and careful reloading techniques.

I am pretty proud of what i have accomplished. You can do it too!

Thanks for taking the time to show what Savages are capable of, it is very cool to see. Your group pics do all the talking that needs to be said. I wish I had the time and the focus on details to reload like you - but it ain't gonna happen.

- Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_J View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to show what Savages are capable of, it is very cool to see. Your group pics do all the talking that needs to be said. I wish I had the time and the focus on details to reload like you - but it ain't gonna happen.

- Erik
    Really it is just a bunch of small steps. Slip in an hour in the evenings and do it one step at a time and you will be.suprised what you can accomplish.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    Well i have done a lot of work since first posting this. Load development, seating depth test, brass sorting, neck turning, sorting by seating pressure with a 21st century hydro press. Sorting by concentricity with a 21st century concentricity gauge.

Hard work is paying off. I have learned a lot.

ES 16 SD 5.2

Very nice shooting, I believe I saw this post on another sight or at least I recognize the target from another post of your. Those 6mm BR really shoot when you do your part.

I have been working on a Savage 111 30-06 with a tuperware stock that I have turned into a 6.5 Creedmoor, it is a lot of fun working up loads and seeing where you can bring them. When they start grouping tight and low SD it is rewarding.

Quote Originally Posted by bowfishn View Post
    Very nice shooting, I believe I saw this post on another sight or at least I recognize the target from another post of your. Those 6mm BR really shoot when you do your part.

I have been working on a Savage 111 30-06 with a tuperware stock that I have turned into a 6.5 Creedmoor, it is a lot of fun working up loads and seeing where you can bring them. When they start grouping tight and low SD it is rewarding.
    Yep

It is nice to see a plan come together. Been a long road for me. Now i am learning what really works. I see the results at each range session.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12