Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1/2" Savage

My 1/2" Savage

Well i have been working.on this one for over a year. Finally coming to fruition.

Savage dual port target action. Shilen select match 26" Bull in 6BR. Sharpshooters supply dogtracker stock.

This target should put me solidly in the 1/2" Savage group. I hope my shooting.can improve. The gun has potential.

Basic Member
    Nice shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Where's a fly supposed to hide? That's phenomenal.

Basic Member
    People who print and sell targets hate shooting like that. You could use the same target for months by just covering the old groups and put a sticker an inch off the old holes. They want larger groups so they can sell more targets.

Great shooting, both rifle and owner.

Yep

Pretty pleased. Been a long time coming. I was starting to fall apart on those last 2 groups. The gun is better than me.

I have found some pretty good loads. Now for a seating depth test. I was running these jammed.

Those were berger hybrids. Might try some MKs. Anyway it is all fun.

Basic Member
    Well actually based off everyone claiming you need to shoot 5 into 5 and then average it out, your rifle is really a 3/8" Savage
    Good shooting, nice to see your efforts paid off.

Outstanding shooting! That is consistency.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Nice shooting. Now hit the 200 yard range and report back.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    That's some kinda shoot'n and some kinda gun you got there. Very nice! You didn't say, but is that something you put together? Job well done in any case!

I've been finding the the Berger 105 hybrids like anything between .020 off to .010 into the lands. I'll be staying tuned to see what you find, and can't wait to see what you can do at distance with your new shooter.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    That's some kinda shoot'n and some kinda gun you got there. Very nice! You didn't say, but is that something you put together? Job well done in any case!

I've been finding the the Berger 105 hybrids like anything between .020 off to .010 into the lands. I'll be staying tuned to see what you find, and can't wait to see what you can do at distance with your new shooter.
    Oh yes. Homemade as in i bought the action, barrel and stock and.assembled them. Gone through several evolutions to get to this point though.

Now for the quest to remove a tenth or two from those groups. That is fun for me.

I will be doing a seating test next weekend. Figure .005 off, 0.010 off, 0.0150 off, 0.020 off, 0.025 off and 0.030 off

Give me a good.excuse to go to the range, I need practice, and.something to occupy my evenings for the rest of the week.

Basic Member
    Great shooting brother. I have a 12 lrp 6.5 cm that I am close to half moa. Waiting for a good day to shoot 5x5. My first Savage and it sure does shoot

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    Oh yes. Homemade as in i bought the action, barrel and stock and.assembled them. Gone through several evolutions to get to this point though.

Now for the quest to remove a tenth or two from those groups. That is fun for me.

I will be doing a seating test next weekend. Figure .005 off, 0.010 off, 0.0150 off, 0.020 off, 0.025 off and 0.030 off

Give me a good.excuse to go to the range, I need practice, and.something to occupy my evenings for the rest of the week.
    Ain't noth'n like the satisfaction you get from doing it yourself, is there! I have to tell you, I got hooked on this sport a few years ago and I am bit BAAAAD. Just built my second 6mmBR, this time for a friend. 28 inch CBI Bull in 8 twist, Stocky's Bobby Hart in glossy Yellow Jacket laminate, Model 12 action, Nut and lug by NSS. Going to the range Wed for the inaugural shoot. I did shoot it today to get it on paper though. First shot high but centered. Forgot to reset the scope for the 20 moa rail...LOL.

Keep posting your results, and I'll do the same.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I hate to rain on a guys parade but....if you have replaced the barrel it is "technically" no longer a Savage IMO. Since 90%+ of the weapon performance (not counting shooter) is the barrel. Trust me when my 338 LM barrel gets worn out, and maybe even before, I will put a quality barrel on it. Savage provides a great gun for the price and the actions are a great tool to expand with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1953 View Post
    I hate to rain on a guys parade but....if you have replaced the barrel it is "technically" no longer a Savage IMO. Since 90%+ of the weapon performance (not counting shooter) is the barrel. Trust me when my 338 LM barrel gets worn out, and maybe even before, I will put a quality barrel on it. Savage provides a great gun for the price and the actions are a great tool to expand with.
    Opinions vary

Opinions or not if you took that rifle to an IBS match they would not allow it in the factory class.
    Nice gun and very nice shooting just not factory, just the same.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    Opinions or not if you took that rifle to an IBS match they would not allow it in the factory class.
    And it would.not even be competitive in an IBS benchrest match no matter what.class.

But i like it. Making me a better shooter and reloader. Lots less expensive than a true custom bench rifle.

The savage action has two weak points for competition . Cycling the action and triggers

Basic Member
    Nice job on putting that one together. Maybe this is just me but I don't think you can have more fun or excitement than starting with a Target action in the box. Usually takes about a year to put one together. Mine has shot excellent from the first shot. Any chance of a few pics of the rifle and a few details on the parts used? Thanks.

Actually M12lrs it would be very competitive. A lot of local clubs that run IBS short range matches do a " custom" class for guys like you and me whose guns are very accurate, shoot tiny holes in groups. and are willing to put in the time and effort to make our Savage actions shoot.
    I personally have two that are as expensive as "custom made", one a target action and when I got done with it including the Weaver optics broke the $3500 mark. Another I am still working with is approaching $3,000 so I could have just as easily bought one good custom made BR gun and been done. BUT WHERE WOULD THE FUN OF IT GONE. I do this for something to do. I don't drink am to old to chase women( wife wouldn't approve) so what else is there to go after all the work around the house is done.
    If you don't think the Savage action can be competitive as Sharp Shooter you may be surprised at his answer or better yet ask him to repost his winning groups.

PS on a side note push your seating depth in another 0.005 or maybe just a little less should pull in the outside edges.
    FROGGY

Basic Member
    The IBS doesn't have a "factory" class.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Actually M12lrs it would be very competitive. A lot of local clubs that run IBS short range matches do a " custom" class for guys like you and me whose guns are very accurate, shoot tiny holes in groups. and are willing to put in the time and effort to make our Savage actions shoot.
    I personally have two that are as expensive as "custom made", one a target action and when I got done with it including the Weaver optics broke the $3500 mark. Another I am still working with is approaching $3,000 so I could have just as easily bought one good custom made BR gun and been done. BUT WHERE WOULD THE FUN OF IT GONE. I do this for something to do. I don't drink am to old to chase women( wife wouldn't approve) so what else is there to go after all the work around the house is done.
    If you don't think the Savage action can be competitive as Sharp Shooter you may be surprised at his answer or better yet ask him to repost his winning groups.

PS on a side note push your seating depth in another 0.005 or maybe just a little less should pull in the outside edges.
    Well in my head i only include cost of action, barrel and stock. Don't count all the extras i have done to the action and stock.

I have a vortex golden eagle on this one. Started out with a nightforce 12X42 BR. It is in the cabinet now. Kind of torn between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Nice job on putting that one together. Maybe this is just me but I don't think you can have more fun or excitement than starting with a Target action in the box. Usually takes about a year to put one together. Mine has shot excellent from the first shot. Any chance of a few pics of the rifle and a few details on the parts used? Thanks.
    Savage dual port target action with SSS time and true and benchrest trigger

Shilen select match 26" bull in 6BR

SSS dogtracker stock

Basic Member
    Looking at your gun, and that front rest, reminds me of the sound track to the movie "Risky Business".

Ooooooooh- Yaaaaaaaaa. OOOoooooooh-Yaaaaaaaaa.

Most every IBS match run today lists a factory class Fred, At least the score matches do.
    FROGGY

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00693.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	3288 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br rifle new 001.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	3289

My two.
    FROGGY

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00693.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	3288 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br rifle new 001.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	3289

My two.
    Very nice. How about the specs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast