Thread: Pistol Stock

Basic Member

Pistol Stock

I'm going to throw this one up for the bunch and see where it goes.

Once upon a time there was a stock maker by the name of Neal Cooper. Neal made some of the finest stocks for specialty pistols based on the Savage actions you will ever lay your paws on. At the time I was only into XP's & TC's. Since then I put one together on a PTA and stocks are a problem, you really can't find what you are looking for. I know he had someone CNC ing them for him. What was the centercore material he was using?

So if that trail has gone dead what is the closest rifle stock that I could find with integral trigger guard that I could take the saw to? I could always inlet a Whidden V block instead of centercore.

Team Savage
    Whidden V Block is a dream to mount an action on. Got two or three. I've lost count.
    I think I got one of the last stocks that Neal had in his stash.From what he mentioned to me back a few years ago, he was having issues getting the stocks from the maker on a reliable basis. And with not too much reliability, he ended up being the bad guy so to speak. Decided to sell the operation. It went to a guy that made contender stocks and grips. Things went OK for a while then the availability stopped. No more SP stocks of Neal's design.
    Then there's Joel Russo stocks. Expen$ive but nice. Why not keep the Savage trigger guard and go with a Richard's micro-Fit pistol grip stock? Get the inlet you need, the color of your choice, cut the back end off and with some sanding, you're ready to go.
    My SP stock from Neal is all laminated. No center core. Hydro dipped in a carbon fiber pattern then shot with a red tinted clear. I think you would be well off going with the Richard's Micro-Fit. Got my eye on one for another build.

And, I've had a couple of Neal's stocks and they were ALL laminated. No center core. One even has a Whidden V Block.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    I'm not sure if it was Neal's design or not, but the core material used in some of his stocks was polyurethane resin that was cast between the laminations.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I talked to Neal a couple of years ago now. He had a couple stocks left but wouldn't turn loose. The center core material was a polycarbonate from the air industry from what I understand but he wouldn't tell me the name of the stuff. He was actually gluing wood laminate to the plastic on his first ones himself. I'm starting to think this is all going to be lost in history. I taked to Tony Grettle and he said he never persued the center core design. I think he's out of the bolt pistol business now also.

Mikie I've been looking at Richards micro fit for a while now. Which one of the stocks are you eyeballing? My target action in the box came with a trigger guard so I do have one to use. I just prefer the trigger guard as part of the stock.

Team Savage
    http://www.rifle-stocks.com/Pistol_Grip_Style.htm Or http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/design...acement-stocks
    Also, I've seen a couple of Boyd's stocks in an ad at the top of our Savage Shooters page. Pink lam that would be good for an SP.
    I know what you mean about the trigger guard being part of the stock. Back to the XP wood design.
    Didn't even think about it but on my Neal Cooper SP stock, the trigger guard IS part of the stock. First thing I did to it was fit it with a Whidden V Block. I set it up with a lefty Model 10 repeater action. The action is trued and timed by SSS, has a single shot adaptor and a longer tactical bolt handle. That action I also use on my right hand thumb hole bench rest stock. Right hand stays in control of the stock while my free left hand works the bolt and feeds ammo.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I'm not sure if it was Neal's design or not, but the core material used in some of his stocks was polyurethane resin that was cast between the laminations.
    sharpshooter, are you thinking there was someone else behind the scene on these stocks and Neal was the marketing man?

Basic Member
    I'm thinking so.....I know he was good friends with Curt Cabanaw, a former employee at Rutland Plywood, who started something on his own which later turned into Cousineau Laminates.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I'm thinking so.....I know he was good friends with Curt Cabanaw, a former employee at Rutland Plywood, who started something on his own which later turned into Cousineau Laminates.
    Thanks for that lead sharpshooter. Its the best one I've had since I started down this rabbit hole two years ago. Any idea where Curt might be these days? PM would be great as not to post private info on a public forum. Thanks.

Basic Member
    Found him, Curtis Cabaniss. Doesn't mean I'm any closer. That CNC program might have gone up in the Rutland blaze, could explain why they dissappeared from the face of the earth.

Iowa Rutland did not mill the stocks they just made the laminate blanks.
    Last edited by rjtfroggy; 06-17-2017 at 06:34 AM.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    Iowa Rutland did not mill the stocks they just made the laminate blanks.
    Might be that Rutland was just a wood products company but reflecting on my career before retirement I'm not so sure. Be it GM, Caterpillar, John Deere, IH, or Collins radio, everyone had their back room skunk wurks. Sometimes it was in a corner of the main facility, sometimes a small building on the property, sometimes a few blocks away, sometimes in another city. Over the years I watched things go to production with great success but over half the time things just didn't work out but a lot was always learned.

Basic Member
    Evolution Greg. Hopefully through trial and error with a dash of innovation I can find something that applies to my harsh hunting environment.

Briggsy @ Northland coaxed me out of hibernation. That and this 6 million dollar remodel required I get away for some R&R. Meeting up with Jim See, John my cutter, Mark the Nitride guy along with Jim for a few days of show and tell. Then back to Mayville for a week with my son.

Jim is going to have some of these stocks and some never seen before in his booth for show and tell.

Neal

Anyone here have a last name for John or the company he worked for. Looks like Jim Briggs might be close to this thing. Found this post from may 20,2010

Team Savage
    Jon:
    Looks like a little/lot of patience and perseverance just "may" get you some of the answers you're looking for??
    Ever consider taking one of "The" stocks and have someone go after it with a duplicator? Only problem with mine is that it has a Whidden V Block installed so you can't get an accurate inlet cut. Close but no cigar. I'am thinking that would be a very small problem.
    I would love to see a "Cooper" style rear grip stock available again to the public. All it takes is $$$.
    Man does NOT live by Mc Millan alone.
    Seems like Fred (Sharpshooter) mentioned a while back that the "cut" could be stopped in mid progress and adjustments could be made so if you wanted the bolt handle cut to be moved to the other side OR a change in the inlet. Most outfits don't seem to be willing to make small changes. A true CUSTOM stock, cut to your liking (I Think) would be well received. And get very popular real fast. Not everybody likes glass stocks or even a mid grip. A Savage, Remington XP 100 etc. inlet would be a hit.
    When Joel Russo first came up with the A5L rifle stock design, it went over VERY WELL!! Something like 26 pages on a thread asking who might be interested in that design. I think I got one of the first ones. You make it and it woul sell.

Here is Joel Russo's web site http://russoriflestocks.com/
    Get in touch with him I am sure he still has the program for these stocks. I know he is still around I saw a post on another web site the other day that he posted.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Team Savage
    We all have different likes and wants when it comes to our rigs. Joel Russo's "rear grip" stocks mostly use trigger guards. The stock Iowa Fox (Jon) likes has the trigger guard built in and I also prefer that style. Reminds me of the Walnut or laminated after market stocks that were offered a few years back for the XP 100s. There's a couple or one still for sale on the SP site. Variety IS the spice of life.

Basic Member
    froggy, Joel has a good reputation and makes good stocks. I've shot friends xp's in his stocks but he has lost touch with reality on his pricing. I checked with him a couple years ago for a xp stock, his price was outrageous and he wasn't taking anymore orders at that time. Being retired from business I understand all that. In my search I found Norm LaFlame at Royal arms gunstocks and ordered a xp stock. Order any laminate color you want or solid walnut. I received it in a couple weeks, the inletting was superb, and the price dirt cheap by comparison. That's why I say Joel's prices are beyond me.

Mike,
    I'm not sure that even if I find the cutter I will be able to get 1 or 2 made for all the various reasons. I thought about trying to get one duplicated but somehow that kind of feels like stealing. Would prefer to buy a semi inlet, just feels a little more honest to me. I talked to Neal a little over a year ago. He had a couple broken or mis inletted left but would not sell or give them away, tell me much, then just ignored me. Its been a while since they were sold so I know that at least a small group run would sell pretty quickly I think. I have a hunch that the total number of bolt action specialty pistol shooters in the United States is pretty small these days and will continue to shrink. All I have to do is look in the mirror or around at the match's.

I checked your occupation on your profile page. Sir you have my respect! I retired 7 years ago from a very similar job.

Jon

Team Savage
    Jon:
    The total number of SP shooters MAY be on the small side but if you watch what happens over at SP when a new Guy comes on board, within a very short period time, they're hooked and looking for actions and stocks. The SP thing IS addicting. Just look at how many guys responded to the group buy from McMillan?
    IMHO, duplicating a proven design isn't stealing, just reviving something that was lost before it's time. Build a better mouse trap and all.
    And watch the reaction when a guy shooting an SP can out shoot a rifle?
    Look at the bunch that are planning to show up at the Wyoming shoot? The folks are out there but not everybody will ever show up or compete at a group get together. A lot of guys are "Closet" SP shooters. I remember well when I showed a young kid and his Grandpa the accuracy of my XP 100 at range. Watched the kid hit steel out past 100 yards and I'll bet he still has that grin on his face. Grandpa was beaming!!
    The solid core stock sounds real interesting so keep up your search. My guess is you may just hit pay dirt. I know I'll be rooting for you. My SP stock is available for a pattern if needed so keep that in mind. Just remember, mine has the V Block if it matters to the cutter. Just let me know, Mike.