Thread: 12bvss 223

12bvss 223

I ran across a model 12bvss chambered in 223 yesterday, it seemed like a good deal so I bought it. This is my first 223 and I'm not a reloader so I would like to ask your opinion on what factory ammo to start with. It has a leupold mount but no scope. I've been looking at the Weaver classic extreme at Natchez. Do any of you have any experience with these scopes?
    They are 4-16x50 for under $300. Any other brands in that price range you would recommend? I would also like to know how to find the manufacturer date, serial starts with F68 if that helps.
    Thanks

Do you know the twist rate?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I'm not sure. Savage website says they're 1-9 now but I don't know if that's what they've always been and I don't know what year it was made.

Thanks

Basic Member
    Assuming it is a 9 twist, from my experience, Black Hills and Australian Outback 68/69 grain have been consistent.

Basic Member
    I love my Mueller 8 - 32 X 44. I have them on two rifles and I think they are great.. And under $300.00.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WV1951 View Post
    Assuming it is a 9 twist, from my experience, Black Hills and Australian Outback 68/69 grain have been consistent.
    Plus 1 on the Black Hills ammo 52 gr did well also
    My BVSS is a 9 twist

Basic Member
    +1 on the Black Hills 68gn if it is 1/9 twist. I even used the remanufactured type.

Basic Member
    My first Savage was a 12 BVSS in 223. Yes, it's a 9 twist. The best shooting factory ammo I found was American Eagle Tipped Varmint 50 gr.
    Federal has since changed that load, reducing the velocity and I can't attest to how accurate it is compared to last years. The 69 gr SMK loaded Australian Outback does indeed shoot well, and you can find it pretty cheap at Cabelas when it's on sale.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Thanks for the replies I'll give them a try. Now for the mueller scope, is it clear at the higher settings? Does it track right?
    Thanks

Ok guys I have another question for those who are familiar with these rifles. The internal magazine doesn't seem to work at all. It will not hold just one cartridge, I can hold the first one in while putting the second one in and they will stay but once I cycle through and eject the first one the last one just pops out while the bolt is open. Do you think a part is missing or what?
    Thanks

Feed lips might need some tweaking.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Vortex and Nikon both offer several good scopes at your price point. If you ever did consider reloading, 223 Remington is a great cartridge to start on. Brass, bullet variety and load data are abundant, and price per round using match quality components make it a very economical cartridge.

I have taken it apart and it now seems that the follower is aftermarket possibly for a center feed instead of a stagger feed. Not sure why someone would have done this. Do you know where I might get a new follower that will work?

Basic Member
    Call Savage and give them your serial number. They'll provide you with the correct part number, and probably ship same day. They're great to deal with.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Good luck on getting internal box stagger feed parts.

You may have a weak/partially collapsed follower spring (flat Z shaped spring). Try gently stretching it longer so you have more force with 1 round in, it doesn't take much, just a scootch.

I figured out that it's an aftermarket single shot follower. I would rather have the original but I guess I can live with it if I can't find one. thanks