Thread: First rounds XCALIBER 6.5x47L by Apache Gun Works

Basic Member

First rounds XCALIBER 6.5x47L by Apache Gun Works

Alright, so my initial review of the new X-Caliber Barrels & MFG 6.5x47 with their Cryo Treatment chambered by Apache Gun Works. I didn't do any load development, but talked with a buddy using the same components as me for an initial start load. Components list is Varget, CCI 450 Primers, and the Nosler 140RDF in Lapua brass obviously. I expected this load to yield right around 2730fps, but didn't know how it would shoot in my rifle obviously.

1st Picture is shots 2-5 (before zeroing)
    2nd Picture is shots 15-20 (after zeroing and a couple patches)
    And the chrono numbers from this load. Which I'm honestly pretty ecstatic about how easy it was to accomplish even with new brass and no prep other than a chamfer and some dry lube inside the necks to smooth the seating process.

Result of 5rds was an SD of 2 and ES of 6 and yielded an average velocity of 2722fps. Again very satisfied with the first outing!

Now I ran a few patches through the barrel after the first 10rds. It took 3 patches to get the Carbon out and it was clean. I don't know if this is from the outstanding lapping job done by XCALIBER, the Cryo treatment, or a combination, but easy clean up and a straight shooter.

Thank you Dustin Berg for getting this barrel over to Jim in a quick manner.

I'll talk more about this barrel after I get it to a couple practice sessions this month and matches again next month!

Shots 2-5

Shots 15-20 below shots 2-5

Looks like just a bit of tuning and this will be match ready. I should also note that these groups were fired prone with rear bag from the bed of a pick up. So, they would probably be tighter with a better shooting platform!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Those guys make good stuff. I've chambered 5 of their barrels. They shoot well even when us amateurs touch tool to steel.

Basic Member
    I'll have to set up to do an OCW charge test and see how much it tightens up. Then we'll be rolling!

Basic Member
    Gotta love the 6.5 Lapua. If you don't mind my asking what are you jumping the Noslers?

Basic Member
    I didn't state that info because I currently don't know. Still waiting on my Modified Case and Comparator to show up, but I think the order I placed got lost or something.

Basic Member
    What I did to set up my initial test was seat the first round long and make minute adjustments on the die until the bolt closed easily. So, using the Forester competition seater I shouldn't be to far off the lands currently.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the reply. Reason I asked was I usually shoot Berger 140 hybrids, but have a stash of the 140 RDFs. I tried them at .020 off the lands and they did not like that. Your groups look great so I was curious. Keep us updated on the barrel too for the price it looks like a shooter!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CavReconScout View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Reason I asked was I usually shoot Berger 140 hybrids, but have a stash of the 140 RDFs. I tried them at .020 off the lands and they did not like that. Your groups look great so I was curious. Keep us updated on the barrel too for the price it looks like a shooter!
    I'm being told .005-.010 or .040 to .060. I'm running Varget, others H4350. I'm running cci450's, others cci400's. H4350 loads seem to like the cci400's better.

Basic Member
    I am running H4350 and CCI 450s it's a hammer. I found a node with the Bergers around 2735fps, another at 2815fps, and a third around 2880. I settled on the 2815 but the 2735 had next to no vertical at 400yds. With the same charge the RDFs were just a little slower.

Basic Member
    I have a hard time paying Bergers prices.... That's pretty much my only issue with them lol. Always try to find an alternative and this year there's more than plenty out there hitting the market.

Basic Member
    Agreed. I need to spend some time with the RDFs just reluctant to switch in the middle of the season I guess.

Basic Member
    Agreed. I need to spend some time with the RDFs just reluctant to switch in the middle of the season I guess.
    I'm doing a full switch from 6 Creedmoor to 6.5x47. Wind is about the same. Elevation changes is all I should really see (and a minute increase in recoil). Other than those factors I think it's going to run real well for. Going to be running a PRS Skills class this Saturday in Suffolk, VA and putting another 100rds through the barrel as well. Wondering if I will see it speed up any like my 6's always did?

Basic Member
    I am interested in what your experience with that barrel will be as I will need a replacement at the end of this season. I really like the 6.5x47. I have chrono'd from 20*-86* and haven't seen any velocity shift it always averages 2816fps. And I have over 10 reloads on some of my cases and the primer pockets are all still tight. It's really easy to load up and shoot.

Basic Member
    I am interested in what your experience with that barrel will be as I will need a replacement at the end of this season. I really like the 6.5x47. I have chrono'd from 20*-86* and haven't seen any velocity shift it always averages 2816fps. And I have over 10 reloads on some of my cases and the primer pockets are all still tight. It's really easy to load up and shoot.
    That was my intent for the change. I've burned up (3) 243Win and (1) 6 Creedmoor XCaliber Barrels. All of them have shot similar to the above on the initial test. My last barrel the 6 Creed after my initial test I picked the load the got the velocity I was looking for and just tuned it up a bit through seating depth adjustments. Ran the same load for 1K straight before I had to get a new batch of brass. Only saw 4-5 loads on the Hornady Brass. I'm giving that barrel to a buddy so he can get his wife shooting. I imagine it will most likely see around 1800-2K rounds. But I've been shooting XCalibers for the past few years and intend to stick with them as I've yet to be displeased.

Nice! Looks like you've got a shooter already. I know you've shot the 6's alot, I'm curious to see your long term opinion on the 6.5. You got LongRange to switch to a 6 also if I remember right?
    Keep us updated on your progress with it.
    Scooter

Basic Member
    So I did 2 rounds of load dev with the 140RDF. I've shot 281 of them and 66 of those were in the first match. Even though I got my groupings down sub 1/2 MOA and my Chrono readings down to an SD 1/ES 3 I was chasing my dope all day at the match. I started out with it shooting low at 450yds to shooting high passed 600. Then it seemed like it was starting to line up getting easy hits at 995yds and finished high at 388yds.

I have 19rds loaded that are left from those rounds loaded up for the match I'm going to recheck Zero, re-chrono, and check groupings.

After that I'm going to test some 130 & 140 Hybrids for a match on 1 July.

This barrel may not like the RDF's!

Basic Member
    I made the switch to the 140 Hybrid and the first load I tested today was a zinger!

Load is the 140 Hybrid, .020 Jump, 36.4grs Varget, with a CCI450 in new Lapua Brass running at 2775fps.

I couldn't get the RDFs to group under .6 and I really had to work for those groups. This barrel will be sticking to a healthy diet of Hybrids from here on out!

Basic Member
    Nice shooting! I couldn't get the RDF's to shoot in my Criterion either.

Basic Member
    Nice shooting! I couldn't get the RDF's to shoot in my Criterion either.
    My Barrel was reamed for the 140 Hybrid. They seem like a good consistent bullet. May just need a different reamer spec to get them running right.