Thread: More Creedmoor

Basic Member

More Creedmoor

This rifle has put several 1st attempt loads at 1" or below with no tweaking. Keep in mind I am not the best shooter so could probably be tightened up some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Try this. Remove the human factor and us a sled bed or similar. If its real tight, then you know for sure its you. If not, then its the rifle or bullet. Some rifles are just picky on which bullet it wants to shoot great. Helped me narrow down my 308 bullet choice. Still good shooting though.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Try this. Remove the human factor and us a sled bed or similar. If its real tight, then you know for sure its you. If not, then its the rifle or bullet. Some rifles are just picky on which bullet it wants to shoot great. Helped me narrow down my 308 bullet choice. Still good shooting though.

What do you do when that load you've developed using a "Lead Sled" doesn't shoot for sour owl droppings even when you have several of the best shooters at the range try it?

Lead Sled's are the number one accessory to get sold, often soon after purchased.

Better for a shooter to spend an hour dry firing and working on both position and trigger technique. Amazing how that can improve loads without spending a dime for equipment.

Basic Member
    Yes, Highly disagree with the use of lead sleds. If you want to have loads for multiple bullets then you need to spend the time developing a load for each. Right now you might as well be shooting different brands of factory ammo instead of wasting components. Do an OCW test with a range of loads that are known to work with each bullet. This will put you in the ball park of what charge range your rifle will like best with each bullet. Otherwise you're just burning powder and not learning anything from it. Whenever I do load dev I like to do some dry firing before I start to make sure I like the position I'm shooting from. I would recommend the same to you. If your crosshairs jump or move when you break the trigger than you need to adjust something to keep them in place.

Basic Member
    Yep 100% ^

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot2 View Post
    What do you do when that load you've developed using a "Lead Sled" doesn't shoot for sour owl droppings even when you have several of the best shooters at the range try it?

Lead Sled's are the number one accessory to get sold, often soon after purchased.

Better for a shooter to spend an hour dry firing and working on both position and trigger technique. Amazing how that can improve loads without spending a dime for equipment.
    Have to agree on some parts. Have to admit have used mine only a few times but won't sell it. Do agree on dry fire time. But when you get close like the pic above and won't get any closer after 100 rounds, the bed comes in handy to insure its you and not your load with only a few rounds. Everyone has there own way of doing it. Just making a suggestion.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Yes, Highly disagree with the use of lead sleds. If you want to have loads for multiple bullets then you need to spend the time developing a load for each. Right now you might as well be shooting different brands of factory ammo instead of wasting components. Do an OCW test with a range of loads that are known to work with each bullet. This will put you in the ball park of what charge range your rifle will like best with each bullet. Otherwise you're just burning powder and not learning anything from it. Whenever I do load dev I like to do some dry firing before I start to make sure I like the position I'm shooting from. I would recommend the same to you. If your crosshairs jump or move when you break the trigger than you need to adjust something to keep them in place.
    I agree with what you are saying on load development, but you have to start somewhere. These are all first attempts with different bullets just to get an idea what to expect.
    If I can get a sub MOA group with an off the shelf hunting rifle, I'm not going to invest a whole lot of time trying to make it better as it will suit my needs in the field.

Basic Member
    I understand that, but it kind of defeats the purpose of loading your own ammunition. I realize rereading my post it was kind of "short" in the tone it may have come across. Also note that many of the hunting bullets out there are not designed to get great groups. The primary one I'm looking at out of all your groups is with the 143 ELD-X. That bullet out of all of them should group well. I would work with that one first and see what you get as that would be my first choice in a 6.5 for an all around hunting bullet. Recommend trying the OCW test 39.5 up to 42grs of H4350 by .5 increments at 20 thou off the lands. I bet you may be surprised at what you see.

I understand that, but it kind of defeats the purpose of loading your own ammunition. I realize rereading my post it was kind of "short" in the tone it may have come across. Also note that many of the hunting bullets out there are not designed to get great groups. The primary one I'm looking at out of all your groups is with the 143 ELD-X. That bullet out of all of them should group well. I would work with that one first and see what you get as that would be my first choice in a 6.5 for an all around hunting bullet. Recommend trying the OCW test 39.5 up to 42grs of H4350 by .5 increments at 20 thou off the lands. I bet you may be surprised at what you see.

Lone Wolf, I just loaded up 42 gr. H4350 with the 143 ELD-X getting 2650 fps out of my 25" CBI 8 twist barrel. Wasn't real excited about the second group with that load (first one was .5"). H4831 46.5 gr. (compressed) got me the same velocity, but 5 shot group was a clover leaf.

I was hoping to get to 2800 fps, but it doesn't appear that I'm going to be able to get there and keep the accuracy that I get with the H4831...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Lone Wolf, I just loaded up 42 gr. H4350 with the 143 ELD-X getting 2650 fps out of my 25" CBI 8 twist barrel. Wasn't real excited about the second group with that load (first one was .5"). H4831 46.5 gr. (compressed) got me the same velocity, but 5 shot group was a clover leaf.

I was hoping to get to 2800 fps, but it doesn't appear that I'm going to be able to get there and keep the accuracy that I get with the H4831...
    Every barrel is different. That velocity seems pretty low for that load though.

Every barrel is different. That velocity seems pretty low for that load though.
    I thought so too... I've only had about 40 rounds down the barrel so far... I'm hoping that it will speed up a bit with a few 100 more rounds down it. I've been using the Winchester LR primers though instead of BR2 or Fed 215s... You think those primers will help?

I'm running a 260 Rem though instead of a Creed.

Basic Member

More Creedmoor

The 143 is the one I've thought about as well. Will have to do some work and see how it goes.

Thanks for the info.
    I'm also interested in how things go for SageRat.