Thread: Firing pins?

pinger22

Firing pins?

I have noticed that the firing pin in my Walmart version 62 F is different that what is shown in the manual that came with it & what I have seen in other model 64 f rifles. Why is this?

Here is what my firing pin looks like in my 62 F from Walmart. The one is taken from Numrich gun parts, that is the one I have seen in every disassembly video on Youtube. So please if anyone has a answer to the difference in the firing pins, & perhaps which one might work better let me know. Thanks.

flip it over. It will be fine.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

pinger22
    It won't fit if it's flipped over
    goes in one way only, I tried it every way possible.

Sorry for joking around, I know you are frustrated. The flipping it over was so it would somewhat match the 64 firing pin in the Numrich photo. Yours being an "F" it does not surprise me that it is slightly different. It appears you have the orientation correct in the picture. It sounds like you are missing something and you need to get some good light, think about the details of how you disassembled it and one Aha! moment and you will be back on the trail. Good luck bud.

pinger22
    Well nothing is missing all parts are there, my question was why does it look different than that of the one in the 64 F, I purchased a 62 F from Walmart, it's the same rifle but Walmart wants there own serial numbers instead of the original ones from Savage. That is what the firing pin looked like when I took the rifle apart for cleaning after shooting 200 rounds flawlessly at the range. I just was curious about why they looked so different, I have also noticed slight differences in the bolt also. I am going to contact Savage & ask them, sending them a pic of the firing pins asking why there are such differences in the two. Thanks for the replies, I just like getting straight answers, I just was seeing if anyone else purchased one from Walmart & there firing pin looked the same.

pinger22

Different bolt styles

Well I did discover something with a intensive internet search. It looks like the 62/64 F model Savage .22 lr have 2 different bolt styles.

This is the other style of bolt I have found for the 62/64 F Savage .22 lr semi auto

The differences were obvious as were the similarities. Were you able to get it back together?

Lay it in the groove with the Scalloped edge down. the one in the picture is thinner at barrel end but no worries. Also .... there is nothing holding the pin in the bolt.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinger22 View Post
    ..., I purchased a 62 F from Walmart, it's the same rifle but Walmart wants there own serial numbers instead of the original ones from Savage.
    Huh? Only a manufacturer can assign serial numbers. A dealer or retailer or private individual is absolutely prohibited from even attempting such a thing or changing them or removing them.

pinger22
    Yes Savage assigns the serial number but by the demand from Walmart. The 62 F is given by savage states it on my barrel. Walmart just want there own serial numbers due to there new gun inventory system. This is was told by Savage & Walmart

Basic Member
    ^^^Hmm... well you obviously know more about it than I do. I guess they have their reasons for wanting a certain type s/n for their record system. That's fine, I guess. But why should that matter? S/N's are arbitrary, anyhow. They aren't coded in any way that defines the type of rifle or it's features, etc. I think you might be connecting some dots that aren't related and drawing conclusions that needn't be.'

pinger22
    I am just trying to figure out the differences between the 2 different bolt styles, I would like to know which one might be more reliable.

I think you are confusing SKU numbers with serial numbers. The SKU number (stock keeping unit) is the order number or part number for the complete rifle. Walmart, like many retail chains, likely has their own item # system so they have Savage create SKU numbers that will match their system (number of digits or format). When I worked for Meijer here in the midwest they used a 6-digit M-Code (Meijer Code).

Think of SKU's as shorthand for UPC codes.

pinger22
    Not really asking about the SKU # I am asking about the differences in the bolt. I went to my local Dunham's sporting good store they have a 64 f and I inspected the bolt that was in it. The bolt was different. Once again I am really after what & why are the bolts different in the two different models. One being mine the 62 F the other different bolt being in the 64 f but supposed to be the same rifle.
    Also when it comes to the model # the information I relayed here was given to me by Savage, again they told me that Walmart wants there own model number on all there firearms. This is just what I was told by Savage & Walmart. It has nothing to do with the SKU numbers, just the model numbers.