Thread: 10 BA Stealth..How many LEFT HANDED shooters prefer to....

10 BA Stealth..How many LEFT HANDED shooters prefer to....

shoot a right handed rifle on their left shoulder and work the bolt with the off hand?

I'm a left handed shooter who has shot a left hand bolt gun in the distant past. Now I'm hearing a 10BA Stealth calling my name! Looking at the Savage website I see Stealths come in L/H SKU#22662 or R/H SKU#22637. A quick search on the net shows R/H guns are plentiful but lefties are not. When I first got this idea in my head I thought I was gonna be stuck with R/H gun only, but it appears there is the possibility of a choise.

If you are a Southpaw who prefers to shoot a R/H rifle from the left shoulder, I'd love to hear your logic, reason (argument?).

Thanks,

Doug
    205AVN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-61l2h11U&t=136s

Checkout this guys setup... He's running a RH 110 BA but he's a lefty... He doesn't seem to have any trouble cycling the bolt with the RH... I'm a lefty too, but have nerve damage in the right hand, so I'm strictly a LH shooter. It is one heck of a nice Rifle... I'll give you that.

Anyway, you could email the guy above thru his Channel... He's usually pretty good about responding to posts on his channel.

Good luck and happy shooting,

If you just shoot from the bench and/or prone with a bipod, shooting a RH rifle lefty isn't a big deal as the rifle's weight is supported and you don't need your off-hand to support that weight while working the bolt. The same can't be said for shooting a RH rifle lefty when shooting off-hand, kneeling or sitting as you either have to come out of the shooting position to cycle the bolt or try to support the weight of the rifle with your strong hand at the grip while your off-hand works the bolt. That doesn't typically work all that well.

It all comes down to speed of a follow-up shot and staying in position. If those two things aren't of any concern to you then a RH rifle won't cause you any grief. If they are or you think they may be in the future, definitely go with the LH rifle.

Guys,

Thanks for the reply and the youtube link.

The stealth rifle I envision will weigh about 11.4 pounds, so I don't see much standing/offhand shooting with it. If I had to quantify the amount of shooting in the various positions it might breakdown like this; 70% prone/bipod supported, 15% off the bench/supported and the remaining 15% sitting position.

As with all things in life there is the cost/benefit analysis to consider. Current prices on R/h stealth are in the +/- $800 range from a number of suppliers (IMHO is a bargain for what you
    get). The L/H version is unavailable from the same 4 dealers. My local dealer has located 5 at his wholesaler. He quoted me a retail price of $1049 plus local sales tax. When the math is finished that translates to a premium of a whopping $280 for the lefty gun!!

For the short term I think I will cool my jets. This weekend I will try to borrow a R/h bolt gun from one of the brother-in-laws and try out the various positions, working the bolt with my off hand and also see about the follow up shot scenario in each position.

Thanks for the input,

205AVN

This is my FLCP custom. Mostly a bench shooter. I have a Savage 110 in 300 win. Mag too in right hand also a bench gun. I have to say while I can cycle the bolt easily on the right handed rifle, IT IS JUST SO EASY AND NATURAL with the left handed rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 205AVN View Post
    Guys,

Thanks for the reply and the youtube link.

The stealth rifle I envision will weigh about 11.4 pounds, so I don't see much standing/offhand shooting with it. If I had to quantify the amount of shooting in the various positions it might breakdown like this; 70% prone/bipod supported, 15% off the bench/supported and the remaining 15% sitting position.

As with all things in life there is the cost/benefit analysis to consider. Current prices on R/h stealth are in the +/- $800 range from a number of suppliers (IMHO is a bargain for what you
    get). The L/H version is unavailable from the same 4 dealers. My local dealer has located 5 at his wholesaler. He quoted me a retail price of $1049 plus local sales tax. When the math is finished that translates to a premium of a whopping $280 for the lefty gun!!

For the short term I think I will cool my jets. This weekend I will try to borrow a R/h bolt gun from one of the brother-in-laws and try out the various positions, working the bolt with my off hand and also see about the follow up shot scenario in each position.

Thanks for the input,

205AVN
    The LH is unavailable because Savage just announced hey would be adding them to the lineup at that end of April. My guess is they won't be readily available at dealers until sometime in July or August.

Team Savage
    IT IS JUST SO EASY AND NATURAL with the left handed rifle. The "KEY" words. I'am a righty. Wanted to try shooting a left hand rifle right handed. Had a lefty Model 10 repeater action, picked up an ambi stock. Worked like a champ!!. A bench shooters dream.
    Finished the build by ordering a custom made right hand thumb hole bench rest style stock. I had to recut the bolt handle slot from right to left. (that's another story) Right hand keeps control of the stock and the "free" left hand works the bolt and feeds ammo. About as natural as it can get.
    Shooting a right hand rig left handed would be just about the same. No reaching across to work the bolt or feed ammo. Off hand, maybe not so natural but it could be used.
    That left hand repeater action is converted to single shot with a SSS single shot follower. That action is also used on my rear grip SP (Specialty Pistol) stock. 16" barrel and an OAL of 26". Right hand keeps control of the stock and left hand works the bolt and feeds ammo.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

My brother's a southpaw. He's been shooting right handed rifles for many years and now that he's got a left handed rifle he admits shooting the lefty is much nicer for him.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    The LH is unavailable because Savage just announced hey would be adding them to the lineup at that end of April. My guess is they won't be readily available at dealers until sometime in July or August.
    I saw on the Savage website they were listed as "new' in red. I didn't realize that they were that new. Both left and right hand guns had the same MSRP. That would explain the lack of inventory at Bud's and Tombstone Tactical . Normally Bud's has a nice selection of both left/right guns of a particular model in stock. Maybe I would be better off waiting till August to see if inventory of l/h guns improves and the retail price differential comes down. In the meantime I could comb the safe for culls and get them consigned and disposed of. The holes thus created could be refilled with a new Stealth. I also need to research out scope, rings and yes/no to 20 MOA rail.

Eric.romig.9 that is a nice looking rifle. I always like a stock that has a hook or rest for the offhand!

205AVN