Thread: Odd solution to a Scope Problem

Banned

Odd solution to a Scope Problem

I own a Cabella Alaska Sportsman's scope that they do not make anymore (or made for them)

Its my favorite, cross hairs are note to thick or too thin, it does not fade out. Something about it my eyes (which are picky for scopes) just loves (Japan made and 12 X) )

Sadly I dropped the gun off a cart and while it was cased it knocked it off the vertical 20 inches.

I played with it and the accuracy was fine, just shooting 20 inches high at 100 yds.

I actually could do it with the right target setup but annoying as you shoot the bottom and barely hit the top.,

No service, Cabellas will replace but they are no longer the same.

After giving it some thought I figured I could do one of two things. Turn it upside down or get a 20 MOA sight and revers it.

I went with the second as I wanted access to the adjustment.

Worked like a charm. Its not spot on. Worst case I shoot 600 yards I use the flat mount, then I can go to 2500 yards with the 20 MOA pointed right.

Basic Member
    Id be curious as to the optics you use to see hits at 2500?

Drop it off the other side of the cart to fix it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Id be curious as to the optics you use to see hits at 2500?
    Tongue in cheek

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Drop it off the other side of the cart to fix it.
    Well that crossed my mind but it seemed to lack a certain precision.

And the horizontal is good, once that goes I don't know if anyone makes a 10 or 20 MOA left and right?

A few things. You could turn the turret max both directions a couple of times to see if it is something mechanical that shifted. Roll the scope is some loose rings to find optical center and check center on adjustments to see if it resembles "close". V blocks would work as well. I would not think it was bent but I have checked RO on the body/tube for a few guys who dropped their glass before.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    A few things. You could turn the turret max both directions a couple of times to see if it is something mechanical that shifted. Roll the scope is some loose rings to find optical center and check center on adjustments to see if it resembles "close". V blocks would work as well. I would not think it was bent but I have checked RO on the body/tube for a few guys who dropped their glass before.
    I used to service a piece of electro-optical equipment that got dropped all the time. It had pivots similar to those that hold the erector assembly inside a rifle scope and the tips would bend. The moving part had a fairly large mass compared to the strength of the pivots so when the operators dropped the piece of equipment (I bought a house and car from the money I made on the repairs so I kind of thanked these guys for their "butterfingers") the pivots yielded but the good news (which I didn't share with them) is that if you can get back in range "by hook or by crook" they usually don't change until dropped again. Attempting to "fix" by dropping or more scientifically giving it a smack against a sandbag will usually just break the pivot points. Since you've found a good work around I'd just leave it.

Basic Member
    I had a scope that took a hard hit as a result of a very bad wreck in which the gun in a soft case was thrown from the vehicle.
    The scope looked ok but acted as though it was damaged when I later shot the gun. It had a custom reticle that had been installed by Premier reticles who had also been a service center for Leupold scopes.
    I sent them the scope and asked that they check out both the scope and the reticle.
    They did and said everything checked out and I should check the mount. I replaced the entire mount and the
    problem went away.