Thread: waste of $ or not.....

btomlin

waste of $ or not.....

I'm planning on buying a .243win mod 11 in the near future. I've decided against the detachable magazine and now after reading some of the posts I have doubts about the accustock.

If you were buying a new gun, would you get the regular stock or an accustock??? It didn't sound like the accustock was worth the cost, but unsure.

I'm no "techy"....just want a gun that is moa @ 100yrds consistently.

Basic Member

Re: waste of $ or not.....

My .243 is a model 11 with a dbm and no problems, tupperware stock with no problems. It shoots at least moa at 100yds no problem. I own both accu-trigger and non accu-trigger, accu-stock and non accu-stock savages with no problems. I think the non accu-trigger model 11 is a great rifle and a great buy. blue, (yes i'm just a little biased)

Basic Member

I've been shopping for the 11gcns. I like the wood and detachable mag.

Team Savage

If you will be satisfied with MOA accuracy, then get the Savage you like best. Every Savage barrel I've owned in .243 Winchester would shoot a lot better than MOA accuracy after bedding. I've been reading the same thread's on the Accustock and it looks like you are not going to have much aftermarket part or stock flexibility. So if it don't shoot like you want, then you're kind of stuck. I've gone back to the blind magazine stocks because I found the DBM and HFP hardware added approximately 9 oz more weight to the gun.

It's kind of hard to beat a good old Savage birch wood stocks. They weigh only 2 to 4 oz more than the plastic stocks and are not as heavy as the laminated stocks. They are easier to bed IMO and don't have as much flex as the plastic stocks. You can enjoy the beauty of the fake walnut finish, or strip it off, prime and repaint it in any color or pattern you want.

For example, I just built the rifle pictured below on a long action. I picked up a new Savage 110E package rifle in .3006 with Accutrigger for $399.00 at Walmart. I sold the scope, plastic stock and barrel online as new takeoff's, since I only wanted the action. I pick up a competition recoil lug, steel trigger guard, single shot follower, oversized bolt handle, .375" bolt head and firing pin extension from SSS. I got a new SS factory takeoff barrel in .204 Ruger from Northland. I ordered a "scratch and dent" maple wood stock for $35.00 from Numeric. I installed pillars and bedded the stock. A little spray stripper quickly took the walnut finish off the wood stock. I then used black primer, and a base layer of textured paint followed by gray webbing and then black webbing spray. Worked up a load of RL10X and 40gr VMAX this weekend that shoots in the 2's. Best of luck whatever route you go.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0268.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=450]http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0269.jpg[/img]

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.