Thread: 11VT action screw problem

11VT action screw problem

My 11VT front action screw is catching by about 3 threads. If I torque it too much the bolt won't close. I put this action into a Boyds stock. Is this normal to catch by so little thread?
    Should I bother bedding this with it catching by so little?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bric2000 View Post
    My 11VT front action screw is catching by about 3 threads. If I torque it too much the bolt won't close. I put this action into a Boyds stock. Is this normal to catch by so little thread?
    Thanks.
    Are you saying the screws are too short or when properly torqed they protrude into the bolt raceway?

I always use long screws and cut them off where they are slightly below the inside of the action. Finding the screws can be difficult and all will require some modification

You can get them from SSS. Recently I ordered from these folks

http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com...m?1=1&CartID=0

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bric2000 View Post
    Thanks.
    Three threads is about all that the thickness of the action will allow. By over torquing the front action screw it interferes with the bolt lugs ability to rotate and lock into battery. Over tightening the action screws will cause the stock to compress, resulting in the screw becoming too long.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    Three threads is about all that the thickness of the action will allow. By over torquing the front action screw it interferes with the bolt lugs ability to rotate and lock into battery. Over tightening the action screws will cause the stock to compress, resulting in the screw becoming too long.
    Time to install some pillars. Compressing the wood in a stock is not a good thing. Accuracy usually suffers greatly.

Here's a thread on adding pillar bedding

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...a-Boyd-s-stock

Basic Member
    Just about any hardware store carries the steel allen head bolts that you need. I always change mine out to these. They are 1/4-28 threads. I get the black oxide stainless.

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    This is it.
    I was not sure about stock compression or if the action threading is so shallow that the screw is protruding into the bolt channel. Or both!

Basic Member
    I would go ahead and bed the action and install pillars. Then I would check the the front action screw length and trim as required (via grinder). That should eleminate that problem.