Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bartlien barrel

Basic Member

Bartlien barrel

has anyone had a Bartlien prefit barrel done up by Bugholes, trying to decide to add this barrel to my model 10T, cost is $500 for the barrel and chambering, or my other option is purchase a new model 12 LRP in 6.5CM. i would think the Bartlien option would be a more accurate set up. any comments

chet

Basic Member
    I bought barrels from them b4 - gtg. 500$ ain't bad considering the wait time isn't bad. If you could wait get it from another source 3-6months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brianatl
    I have one in 6 creedmoor it is a one hole shooter

I must be missing something. I went to their website and am looking for the same thing and see a couple savage profits for $340. I am assuming these are in stock and ready to mate with an action. I am considering one for a 10FCP-SR I have showing up in a couple days. This will be my first Savage so I am a bit unfamiliar with them.

http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=checkout/cart

Quote Originally Posted by Rs130754 View Post
    I must be missing something. I went to their website and am looking for the same thing and see a couple savage profits for $340. I am assuming these are in stock and ready to mate with an action. I am considering one for a 10FCP-SR I have showing up in a couple days. This will be my first Savage so I am a bit unfamiliar with them.

http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=checkout/cart
    These barrels are not chambered yet. You get to.pick what cartridge you want it chambered in. After chambering you will have in excess of.$500 in the barrel. Money well spent in my opinion

Basic Member
    Criterion or xcal barrels chambered by Apache gun works is good if not "gooder " folk. BugHoles is the most expensive (I can say that bc I own two of his barrels). I wouldn't do it again unless barrels were in short order. I can get a barrel chambered in less than 3weeks to a month. Make no mistake , bugholes is a good guy and sells good chit! Just look around. Cheers

I did not realize that about the BugHoles barrels. I wonder if the barrels I looked at on Northland Shooter Supply need to be chambered too. This has definitely been a learning process for me.

Basic Member
    I tell you, a CBI prefit barrel from Northland SS is going to be hard to beat for the money... Those barrels shoot good too...

However, I own both a CBI and a Bartlein and the Bartlein probably shoots about 1/4 minute better and cleans up quite a bit faster...

Blackhole weaponry has pre-fit and chambered barrels, current wait time to build something is 3-6 weeks.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Bartlien barrels are high end cut rifle barrels. I've not heard of a bad experience with one. That being said I've been competing with XCaliber barrels for the last 2 years and have been through 4 6mm's, 3 in 243Win and 1 in 6 Creed. Still have the 6 Creed and it still Hammers, but I'm going to run 6.5x47 for a change. I have not yet shot the 6.5x47, but I am sure just like all the rest it will be a hammer as well. Highly recommend giving XCaliber a try!

Basic Member
    I have had and I have Bartlein, Shilen, Mcgowen, PacNor, BHW and CBI barrels in all manner of calibers. I have had the most accurate results with Bartlein, Shilen, McGowen and PacNor.

I was rather surprised with the below 0.200" inch capabilities of a 6.5 X47 McGowen chambered by The Barrel Outlet.

I cant say enough about Apache's work.
    Bug Holes has a reputation far and wide.(good thing)
    Bartlien barrels are the thing.
    Apache will do a Bartlien also.
    How accurate do you need to be?
    6.5 x 47 can cure all ailments.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    standard Savage Model 10 small shank action
    Bartlein, Southern Precision Rifles (Bugholes.com) sourced/chambered .223, 28", 1 in 7.7 twist pre-fit barrel (target contour)
    Choate Tactical stock
    Rifle Basix SAV-2 Trigger
    Sightron 10-50x60 glass

pic is with a previously mounted Nikon scope and the original Accutrigger

seven 5 shot groups at 100 yds. Berger 73 gr and 80.5 gr bullets. IMR 8208 XBR. the aggregate average of all seven groups is .304". shot as pictured prone.

I will be ordering another one of these barrels from Southern Precision very soon. as much as I love Criterion barrels, my previous .223 Criterion couldn't touch this one. it was mounted in the same set up.

I like Bartlien, I had Apache order an chamber one for me in 6br and it is a super shooter. I put it on a model 10 action and it will out shoot target actions, it all depends who loads the best ammo and breaks the trigger right as well as pays attention to the wind. I shot 31X's yesterday out of 40 shots yesterday at a 300 yard match. Even had a rare ten shot group in the x ring called a ten x lol.
    Group's under an inch at 300 with Varget and 107SMK's
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Basic Member
    Bartlien barrels are the best you can buy. They flat out shoot holes lol.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRCHIRO View Post
    Bartlien barrels are the best you can buy. They flat out shoot holes lol.

Subjective..... Many barrels out there shoot just as well as the other. It's more so about the chamber work than the barrel manufacturer due to all of them using the same materials to build their barrels. Higher end hand lapped barrels are all very close in performance, but all have just as much opportunity to get a "tac driver" or dud and I have seen just about all of them have a dud at one point or another. Sometimes they just get a bad lot of steel, more often its the nut running the lathe.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Subjective..... Many barrels out there shoot just as well as the other. It's more so about the chamber work than the barrel manufacturer due to all of them using the same materials to build their barrels. Higher end hand lapped barrels are all very close in performance, but all have just as much opportunity to get a "tac driver" or dud and I have seen just about all of them have a dud at one point or another. Sometimes they just get a bad lot of steel, more often its the nut running the lathe.
    Sure. Isn’t everything subjective and biased on opinion. Apache Jim can turn a green mountain turd into the 1760yd rifle Everyman wants. Bartlien can do that too. Only difference is Apaches barrel is turned to 1” muzzle while bartliens muzzle can be 0.65”.

Try shooting a string of shots with 0.65” bartlien barrel vs green mountain, ershaw, stock barrels, he’ll even criterion... at the end tell me which one deflects/deviates/walks less from its poi.

I say from experience (opinions). I have every single of them barrels but never had a green mountain or ershaw and probably never will. Best barrels I’ve had are bartliens - they just delfect less. Look at major rifle makers. I think they use bartlien barrels - well rifle makers worth a dang lol. Butttt I haven’t been in the rifle market for a long time so take what I say as a pile of chit lol. Cheers

Basic Member
    I've been very happy with XCaliber barrels, Never feel I've missed a shot in competition due to the barrel. That being said my next choice would be Hawk Hill, then Bartlien/RockCreek etc.

I finished 8th in the SE Regional PRS Series out of 400+ shooters. So, gotta shoot what you have confidence in. Also I don't really play with sporter weight barrels, so that isn't something I can speak too at the moment. At that level I may agree with you, but like I said, haven't personally tested it.

Basic Member
    Congrats on your finishing 8th! I too have xcals 0.80” muzzle and they shoot awesome. Matter fact, I have two of them barrels.

My next build is on a criterion 243 but timeeee - just don’t have time Haha. Btwn wife, kids, work, guns and my diesels - not enough of me to go around. Wife n kids tops all of them sadly...

Basic Member
    See I gave up all my other hobbies to focus on competitive shooting. Family and shooting is all I do outside of the Military now.

Basic Member
    See I gave up all my other hobbies to focus on competitive shooting. Family and shooting is all I do outside of the Military now.
    Good my man! Thank you for your services!

Basic Member
    I've been very happy with XCaliber barrels, Never feel I've missed a shot in competition due to the barrel. That being said my next choice would be Hawk Hill, then Bartlien/RockCreek etc.

I finished 8th in the SE Regional PRS Series out of 400+ shooters. So, gotta shoot what you have confidence in. Also I don't really play with sporter weight barrels, so that isn't something I can speak too at the moment. At that level I may agree with you, but like I said, haven't personally tested it.
    I'm looking for performance per dollar, that sounds good!

Basic Member
    I struggle to see how a cut rifled barrel can be as consistent as a good quality button. I've a lot to learn though. Also, and please forgive in advance, but putting a $500 tube on a factory Savage setup is like putting lipstick on a pig. I've got several Savage's and I like them just fine. But no expensive barrels. I too like the X-Caliber stuff, best bang for the buck out there. I can't believe they're still priced where they are.

Basic Member

Bartlien barrel

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    I struggle to see how a cut rifled barrel can be as consistent as a good quality button. I've a lot to learn though. Also, and please forgive in advance, but putting a $500 tube on a factory Savage setup is like putting lipstick on a pig. I've got several Savage's and I like them just fine. But no expensive barrels. I too like the X-Caliber stuff, best bang for the buck out there. I can't believe they're still priced where they are.
    To each their own. Savages are extremely accurate actions. I guess I have a few pigs that i like. Just can’t justify 5-6k rifle builds so I stick with savages.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRCHIRO View Post
    To each their own. Savages are extremely accurate actions. I guess I have a few pigs that i like. Just can’t justify 5-6k rifle builds so I stick with savages.

I agree, and sort of my point without communicating it well. They do very well without an expensive whiz-bang barrel. And you're right, buy one if ya want. Just may not be necessary is all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast