Thread: inside the barrel savage 10ba stealth

Basic Member

inside the barrel savage 10ba stealth

Hi guys,
    unboxed my new savage 10ba stealth in 308 today. Gave the rifle an overall clean up from the factory grease etc. After cleaning the barrel observed what appears to be some sort of burring or spots of debris in places on the lands and grooves in the barrel . Even after cleaning the inconsistencies were still present. I don't have a bore scope and my knowledge in this area is limited. It isn't excessive only particles here and there but not the clean spotless factory barrel I would have expected. Anyone else had this experience? Haven't shot it yet but concerned how this will effect accuracy . Thoughts?

Basic Member
    Just perform a good break in with the one shot then clean method and you should be fine. This isn't unusual for a factory barrel.

Banned
    Are you using a modern citrus based cleaner (Carbon Killer 2000 or the like) ?

I didn't know what a clean barrel really was until I started using that.

I think others out there, they should be a non haz, non toxic label.

Bore Tech Eliminator is another good one though more copper oriented.

Basic Member
    My Savage Model 10T had a barrel that was really rough, out of the box. It would catch pieces of the patch and leave them in the bore.

I took some J-B Bore Cleaner (the blue/gray jar) and gave the inside of the bore a good "rub-down" before shooting. The factory barrels aren't lapped and any roughness from rifling or chambering is left behind for the shooter to deal with. The Bore Cleaner is a modest abrasive that doesn't get embedded in the metal. Works great for knocking down the little sharp edges and any other detritus that may be left from manufacturing. Not as good as lapping but it will save the average shooter a couple boxes of bullets/ammo in the break in process.

The absolute best way would be to hand lap this new barrel.

Here is a link to a PDF file explaining how to lap a rifle barrel.

http://bisonarmory.com/content/RifleBoreLapping.pdf

It is worth the effort if you have a rough barrel. In my personal opinion it's better to invest the time and effort to lap a barrel like you described in one sitting than to be forced to expend more time and components over a long period of time.

I've used both fire-lapping and JB polish. Both work. Tubb’s Final Finish fire-lapping works well for me since I hand-load. If rifle broken in and fairly new (shooting ok or better) I start with grit #3 then proceed to 4 & 5. I use the break in new rifles aftering firing 5-10 runds to establish a base-line. #2-5 girt is what I normally use. Ignore first sets, by grit 4 your rifle should be settling in. All my bolt action are sub-moa using this system, so for me it works well.

Basic Member
    I'd shoot it and see if it cleans up. Probably be fine.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys , really appreciate all the advice

Basic Member
    I purchased a bore scope when they were on sale. My 10T shots awesome but still wanted to see inside. Was warned if a rifle shoots great, don't look. Saw some of the bad work on a production rifle. Now I know why folks shoot a few rounds to foul the barrel. As was posted above, do a regular break in. If it turns out to shoot sub moa after 200 rounds, don't look inside. Just enjoy it.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS