Thread: Remington 1100 question

Basic Member

Remington 1100 question

I'm looking at buying my first shotgun (first purchased, not first owned). My current handloads push 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 shot at roughly 1600fps. Very hot, and hence why I'm here. Will the new, or old, 1100s handle these hot 2.75" loads or do they have issues with hotter ammo?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    You can buy a wolf extra power action spring that should make it shoot fine

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrazy-Chris View Post
    You can buy a wolf extra power action spring that should make it shoot fine

So it can be a bit hot for those loads? And I'll look into the springs. I swear by wolf in my revolvers.

Basic Member
    You shouldn't have any issues what so ever.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    You shouldn't have any issues what so ever.
    I'll ask my boss next time I see him. He should know. I just don't want to buy a new 1100 and the beat the crap out of it.

Those are hot loads but it will shoot them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    Those are hot loads but it will shoot them.
    Oh, I know they're hot. My Remington 870 let's me know it. I was just worried about beating the bolt to pieces. What about the competition model? It said for target/light game loads, and frankly, I don't enjoy owning a gun that doesn't pull double duty.

There are plenty of 12ga 2 3/4" steel duck load that reach 1500fps +. These guns will shoot them. Of course they will be harder of the action but they will shoot them. But, you can always reduce the load and not worry about it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    There are plenty of 12ga 2 3/4" steel duck load that reach 1500fps +. These guns will shoot them. Of course they will be harder of the action but they will shoot them. But, you can always reduce the load and not worry about it.
    Reducing the load isn't happening. I enjoy being able to hit limit in less than a box of shells. I'll just look into a possible spring change.

Basic Member
    I have an old 1100 I rebuilt and if I were to do it all over again I would've saved for a Benelli. I use it for 3 gun though and that's a whole different ballgame. The versa max is very nice too.

Basic Member
    I have a bad taste in my mouth with Benelli. Almost as bad as with Beretta...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenton91 View Post

In that case I would definitely check out the versa max. I was thoroughly impressed when I shot my cousin's. Kicked like a 22. Their low end one is actually pretty affordable.

Basic Member
    In that case I would definitely check out the versa max. I was thoroughly impressed when I shot my cousin's. Kicked like a 22. Their low end one is actually pretty affordable.

If I wanted synthetic stocks, I'd buy cheaper guns. I'm looking for an 1100, not a Versa Max, not an 870, not a 500.

Basic Member
    Pardon me for sharing my knowledge and experience. I guarantee if you shoot an 1100 and a versamax back to back you'd be shocked, especially with magnum loads. But what the hell do I know? You interested in an 1100 that I've had to completely rebuild to get it to run? It has a lovely synthetic stock, I'm sure you'd love it.

If you want to be a snob about wood stocks you're looking at the wrong manufacturer buddy.

1100's are going for $350 used... not sure how you could get any cheaper than that.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trenton91 View Post

I realize that this post is over 7 months old, but after the Beretta comment, I cannot help myself.

What happened with Beretta?

My experience has been exemplary - my first 390 lasted right at 80,000 rounds of 32gram (1-1/8oz) loads at 1250-1300fps, and the current 390 gold I'm running is at the 40,000 round mark using mostly 1oz @ 1300-1350 fps so I expect that it will last well into the 6 figure range. Shooting this high volume of ammo comes from competitive sporting clays shooting for the past 22 years. Dad ran a beretta DT10 for the better part of 8 years and it ran flawlessly AND Beretta maintained it for him for free (they still do this for the dt10 and dt11.) My experience is not the exception - ask any sporting clays competitor about the 303, 390, 391, and they will all tell you the weapons are tanks. And like many sporting competitors, I hunt with my clays gun. From 2oz of buffered 6s for turkeys to 1-5/8oz hevishot 2s at 1350fps, to 1oz at 1300 for competition, to the accidentally purchased featherweight loads, the gun digested them without issue.

Much much much more reliable than Remington's offerings of the 1100 and 11-87 (we shot both heavily in the chevy truck sportsmans team challenge in the early 90s) which are lucky to get to the 1000 round mark before needing their gas rings replaced...however there is no weapon out there that can keep up with a tricked out 1187 loading only 2 rounds from a loading block. Also of note is that the 1100 and 11-87 have the lightest recoil impulse of any shotgun Ive ever shot and fit most people straight out of the box.

Lastly, definitely pattern you loads in your gun with your various chokes to see how they perform. What you see may surprise you. :)

Pardon me for sharing my knowledge and experience. I guarantee if you shoot an 1100 and a versamax back to back you'd be shocked, especially with magnum loads. But what the hell do I know? You interested in an 1100 that I've had to completely rebuild to get it to run? It has a lovely synthetic stock, I'm sure you'd love it.

If you want to be a snob about wood stocks you're looking at the wrong manufacturer buddy.

1100's are going for $350 used... not sure how you could get any cheaper than that.

C
    WHERE? $350.00 used, that a great deal....Can you forward site please...Thanks PS.
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Also, welcome Steve....1st post I see....
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    Also, welcome Steve....1st post I see....
    Thank you! Shotguns are my forte, and Ive been lurking for quite some time, but never posted until i saw this thread...lol.

I have a savage 111 LH whose action I've sent off to SSS to have timed and trued and now im trying to decide what caliber i want to run. Leaning towards a 270AI so i dont have to fool with the breech face. Torn between pac-nor and x-caliber at this point. So naturally ive been doing a ton of searching on this forum. :)