Thread: Savage 10 Ashbury Precision

Savage 10 Ashbury Precision

Good day all! I'm new to Savage rifles and new to this forum. I am starting this thread to see if anybody has any experience with the Savage 10 Ashbury Precision. I have combed the internet and have yet to find any reviews of the rifle, while BA Stealth reviews are numerous.

Does anybody have this rifle? If not, why has the BA Stealth exceeded it in popularity?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MedServ60Driver View Post
    Good day all! I'm new to Savage rifles and new to this forum. I am starting this thread to see if anybody has any experience with the Savage 10 Ashbury Precision. I have combed the internet and have yet to find any reviews of the rifle, while BA Stealth reviews are numerous.

Does anybody have this rifle? If not, why has the BA Stealth exceeded it in popularity?
    Your answer is simple. It comes down to cost! The APO is $600 more for the same barreled action just in a fancier Chassis. Most of the Savage crowd don't want to drop $1800 on a Savage.... and it will still shoot like a Savage at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Your answer is simple. It comes down to cost! The APO is $600 more for the same barreled action just in a fancier Chassis. Most of the Savage crowd don't want to drop $1800 on a Savage.... and it will still shoot like a Savage at the end of the day.
    +1

The APO is about a pound heavier and noticably more expensive (about $400 based on recent Bud's pricing).

On the APO, you have to mount the scope higher to clear the handguard so you definitely will need a cheek riser where on the Stealth, you may not need to use the riser based on scope/rings combination.

With the APO, you do get a folding, partially collapsible stock but that has limited value (from my perspective) versus a fully collapsible stock.

The Stealth offers a pretty good value compared to a custom build when you add the cost of an action ($430-$530 at NSS) and the cost of an MDT LSS chassis ($400). I bought a 308 Stealth from Bud's for $825. If I were to duplicate the build, I'd have to buy a barrel, scope rail (admittedly with 20 MOA), grip, castle nut, buffer tube and stock all of which would be more than I paid for the Stealth.

So in short, it is likely that the Stealth is more popular than the APO because of the APO's increased cost and weight along with the lack of improved utility with likely identical accuracy results.

Looked at APO, bought Stealth instead. For about $200 you can have a great sub-moa rifle, with less weight. I added 20 MOA, Luth-AR stock, cheek riser pad. I have 6.5, 300WM and 338 Lapua and all but the 6.5 use the Luth MBA-3 stock. 6.5 uses Luth MBA-1 with the MDT fixed stock adapter - one issue, I prefer to shoot prone and the adapter increases length by 3/4", making a little to long for me. So if you like the APO, go for it, however if budget is a thing for you, Stealth will shoot as well and is available for about $900 from Gun Broker (6.5).