Thread: Desperate need of help, please

Basic Member

Desperate need of help, please

Long story short, I invested $3000 on a nightmare of a build and been putting together since 2015. I bought a Richards micro fit stock, had it reshaped, pillar and glass bedded and it split down the middle first shot! I need a new stock and can't find one. I will only get a laminate thumbhole stock and would like it to be unique looking (at this point I can't be picky) boyd stocks does not inlet for my savage 116 bear hunter 300wm. I put in a request to have them inlet my receiver but doesn't look like it is gonna happen. Please help me! Stock/company recommendations.....

Bobby

Stockade Stocks by Kevein Rayhill

What is different about your bear hunter that Boyds does not make?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Bobby,,,,can you repair the stock that split? You can do a lot with epoxy........

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Stockade Stocks by Kevein Rayhill

What is different about your bear hunter that Boyds does not make?
    Barrel contour on the Bear Hunter falls between a sporter and a varmint - very similar to the Predator Hunter and Stealth's contour. I would just order a stock for a 110/111/112/114/116 with the mag type you have that's inlet for a heavy barrel. The barrel channel will be a little larger than needed, but it won't hurt anything.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Barrel contour on the Bear Hunter falls between a sporter and a varmint - very similar to the Predator Hunter and Stealth's contour. I would just order a stock for a 110/111/112/114/116 with the mag type you have that's inlet for a heavy barrel. The barrel channel will be a little larger than needed, but it won't hurt anything.

So this is exactly what I was thinking. He did say he wanted a laminate.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I would go with Mr. Furious and Option 1

Option two is to get the narrower one and open it up.

My first TH buy was a lightweight hunter TH. It now has a Bull barrel in that action. Took a bit of work with a dowel and heavy sand paper but it works just like wood (actually a bit easier)

I am no wood worker and have had zero issues per follows.

Looks fine. A bit of Formby to seal and good to go.

I did not want to wait for a stock to get the larger Bull, so I went with a Varmint and opened that one up

Last one was a Varmint but not as large as the mfg contour (close but....). I opened that one up as well.

Boyds has a couple of close areas but a lot of open as well.

You just get a really heavy grit sand paper, wrap it around a 1 inch dowel and away you go.

Putting the stock in a gun vice works nicely. You can fine sand it down a bit when you have the contour right.

Basic Member
    They can't fit the receiver. They don't have an inlet for the bottom bolt release and hinged floor plate! Sounds like I can't go with voted. I checked out stockade stocks and they don't have laminate, just 1 thumbhole that I really don't want . What a disaster. My gunsmith said the stocknis toast so the poxy options is not plausible. Any other ideas or companies?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptbobdemaria View Post
    They don't have an inlet for the bottom bolt release and hinged floor plate!
    What about DBM and bottom release? Same inlet

You could get a top bolt release stock and do a little grinding and sanding to make it work with bottom bolt release.
    I think trigger guard needs to be slightly opened (wider) and relieve some around the trigger hanger area in stock.
    Maybe a little more but nothing major.
    INFERNO

Basic Member
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Team Savage
    "My gunsmith said the stock is toast so the epoxy options is not plausible"?? Sounds more like your "Smith" doesn't want to mess with it!! It's laminated wood. Unless it broke into a BUNCH of pieces. it CAN be fixed!! Sounds more like the "bedding job" wasn't done properly and the stock took the brunt of the recoil. Consider putting a "bedding block" in. More surface area to absorbe the recoil.
    -
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    The urgency of your request is going to limit you on a custom stock. I'm fairly certain that the wait times for anyting SSS or Manners is going to put you north of 6 months.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptbobdemaria View Post
    They can't fit the receiver. They don't have an inlet for the bottom bolt release and hinged floor plate! Sounds like I can't go with voted. I checked out stockade stocks and they don't have laminate, just 1 thumbhole that I really don't want . What a disaster. My gunsmith said the stocknis toast so the poxy options is not plausible. Any other ideas or companies?
    Not a problem money and the right people cant fix. lol
    Not everything in life comes pre packaged even now days.
    You can have any stock duplicated, but you need the pattern, meaning a stock to copy.
    Some guys who have duplicating machines only do the duplicating for stock makers and will have an inventory of patterns.
    Things like the finger notches on the grip might be an issue and would require hand work.
    I have a heavy bench stock with those along with a left/right thumbhole.
    I find they are not as important as I once thought they were, but ive found that out about other things also.
    That way you could just buy a laminated blank and get what you want.